Search

Babymoon in Hawaii, and first time visitor looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Babymoon in Hawaii, and first time visitor looking for advice

Hi Fellow Fodorites,

Looking for some help planning on upcoming trip…

I will be travelling with my DH, we are in our early 30s and expecting our first baby. We'd like to go to Hawaii now because it is a long flight for us, and we're not sure when we will be able to get there once we have the baby. Our ideal trip would involve some combination of relaxation (beach / pool) and culture (excellent local authentic foods, maybe experience a decent not too touristy luau?) and outdoor activities (light hiking / see a waterfall, snorkelling). Also, my DH would love to visit a volcano with active lava flows. Finally, we don't have a lot of time, maybe 7 or 8 days in Hawaii. I think we could do a small part of Oahu and one other island, at most.

We will likely be flying in or out of Honolulu. Does it make sense to spend a day or 2 on Waikiki? I'm hesitant because I know I won't enjoy the commercialization (i.e. starbucks, chain restaurants, crowds). But, we have such a long flight, does it make sense to relax there for a day or 2 as soon as we land? If we don't stay in Waikiki, should we go to the north shore for a couple of days, or somewhere else? Or is this just cutting into time better spent on another island?

I think my first choice is the Big Island because of the volcano and great snorkelling. What are the chances that lava will actually be flowing? (We're thinking of a helicopter tour) Also, the Big Island may make sense logistically because we could fly into Honolulu, fly to the big island, and then fly from the big island to the mainland US without having to connect back through Honolulu.

OR, Maui. It sounds like this island has a little of everything for first time visitors. But, does it have the best of anything? Is this the place for us?

OR, Kauai. It sounds like this is the quintessential Hawaiian experience, what you think of when you think Hawaii. Is this the place for us?

Finally, sounds like we would need a rental car everywhere. Is that right? Typically, we like to be able to walk to the beach and a local village / restaurants, etc. Also, we are comfortable with busses / cabs. Is that a possibility anywhere?

Thanks for your advice!!!
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 04:57 PM

You wouldn't need a car if you are staying on Waikiki and don't want to visit other parts of the island. I am not a huge fan of Waikiki because of the crowds, commercialization but other parts of Oahu are very nice.

If your husband wants to see a Volcano then you need to go to the Big Island. I just got back from there and loved going to Volcano National Park and the lava viewing area close to Pahoa. When I was there 2 weeks ago the lava was not running to the ocean but you could see it on the hill. They have tours that take you out to the lava and they run about $40. I really enjoyed the Hilo side of the BI, for one reason because it was less crowded and seemed to have the real Hawaii feel. We spent one night in Kona so didn't have much time there. If you want some nice beaches then you'd want to go to this side of the BI. Maybe split time between the two sides. If you can fly straight home from the BI, I'd do that.

You will definitely need a car on the BI.

I like Maui, too. Bigger resorts and can be crowded but there is lots to do and the island is very easy to drive. Renting a condo in a smaller building sounds like it would be best for you unless you really want the resort feel.

Haven't been to Kauai yet so can't answer that one. Based on what you would like to do, the BI would probably be best and for me, I'd skip Waikiki.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi Paula, That is helpful. Thanks!
Do you have a suggestion for a car rental place on the BI?
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 05:34 PM

Caramia, while you're trying to decide, take a look at www.davidskvr.net and see what you think. I sounds like the kind of place you'd enjoy--pool, authentic lu'au, gentle hiking, outstanding food, and excellent snorkeling. Also, Sunshine Helicopters will pick Kona Village guests up at the village's heliport. I did the website as a labor of love, and it will tell you just about everything you need to know to decide if it's for you or not.
David
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 07:45 AM

Caramia-I found car rentals on the BI very expensive, more so than on Maui or in Honolulu. Maybe it was the time of year we were there. I just went for the rental that was the cheapest. We flew into Hilo and out in Kona so had to pay a drop-off fee of $85. Didn't look like Hertz charged the drop-off fee, though. We used Dollar because I was able to use my AA miles to pay for most of the rental.

Kileaua erupted yesterday which is very exciting but they closed the whole Chain of Craters Road. It was only open part way when we were there but it would be disappointing not to be able to drive on part of it. I'm sure the road will be open as soon as it's safe.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 02:34 PM

Read this for ideas ... I would do exactly what they did .. with a lot of sightseeing too.
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...rass-shack.cfm
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 02:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Waikiki. I think it's a wonderful place. And it would be fine for your first night if you are coming off a long flight.

If you are not going to stay on Oahu, no I would not bother trying to fit in the North Shore... rather I would go on to either Maui, Kauai, or the Big Island for the rest of your trip.

If seeing a live volcano is a must-do, then you need to work in the Big Island somehow.

I think Maui is incredibly lovely and has everything you are asking for (except a live volcano). And would be my personal pick and suggestion for a first time visit.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The only place you don't need a rental car is for Oahu, staying in Honolulu/Waikiki.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 03:04 PM

Scarlett-Regarding the thread about finding their little grass shack, of course they had a wonderful time. After all they had a GTG with me!! I enjoy Maui and think it is an easy island to navigate. In 7-8 day you can see just about everything and also have time to relax.

However, the OP said her husband was interested in seeing an active volcano which would have to be the BI. So that was my suggestion. I was just there 2 weeks ago and that was my first time to the BI. I really enjoyed Volcano National Park and the lava viewing area. We were only there 2 1/2 days and then had to move on to Maui for a convention I was attending. The OP could do both islands but we didn't really have the time to see Kona in our short time. The BI really is big! So they could see the Volcano and then move on to Maui or spend the whole time on the BI. It's a hard decision.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 04:12 PM

A new rift just opened up at Pu`u O`o crater, so now is as good a time to visit the Big Island as any. I think that technically, the Kilauea eruption has been continuous since 1983, but whether there is visible lava flow is a different thing. Right now there is, hopefully it will continue for some time.

A live webcam is here: http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/cams/NCcam/
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 04:23 PM

I should have added that the Big Island has other things to do beside just the volcano - there are native sites like the City of Refuge; waterfalls (Akaka, Rainbow, and others); Mauna Kea observatory and Elison Onizuka center; Waimea valley; tour a winery or ranch; rainforests; etc.

The one thing I don't think is really great on the Big Island are the white sand beaches. True, they have black and green sand beaches that are really rare, but for plain white sand and easy swimming, I think the other islands are better (or have more of them).

Personally, I would just go to the Big Island without spending a couple days on Oahu or Maui, unless there is something on the other islands that you absolutely HAVE to see (Pearl Harbor, for example). But that's just one man's opinion.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 06:34 PM

There are some white sand beaches on the Kona side although defninitely more on Maui. Since the BI is so big, I'd probablly divide my time between Hilo and Kona.

Here is a website that updates the lava flow at Kalapana Gardens. This is where the lava has been flowing into the ocean but not since the end of January. In Feb, we saw it on the hill. We meet the guy who does this blog the night we went to the lava viewing. He takes some amazing photos.
http://hawaiianlavadaily.blogspot.com/