B.I. Circle of Fire, Is it worth it????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby and I will be visiting Oahu and Maui for our 25th in October. He insists that he wants to see the Kilauea in all of her glory on the B.I. Unfortunatly, he failed to mention this until after we had booked our trip. So...I'm looking at possibly a one day tour....OH, forgot to mention he wants to see it from the air. I'm trying to decide if given the expense of an additional interisland flight and helicopter tour is worth all the trouble!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 12:12 AM

aloha...you can do a 2 - 21/2 hour flight from maui to see the volcano on volcano air tours.
they have a 72 hr cancellation period but almost always, there is some active areas to
view the lava, kiluaea and pu u o'o vent.
once in a life time for sure.
otherwise you will have to do a flydrive to
the big island, then go by helicopter(the best way to see the active flow), then drive to
volcano natl park...its worthwhile.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:53 AM
bonniebroad

scdvr219, no one can tell you whether you're going to be disappointed in a given experience or not, of course. (Like the road to Hana..... you have people who love it, and people who say, what's all the fuss about?) Before we made a couple of trips to the B.I. later, my husband and BIL did a daytrip with Roberts Tours from Oahu, (not including a helicopter flight.) They left early, came back late, and it's one of their best memories. Loved it...... If it sounds like fun to your husband, it probably would be worth it, especially if the lava is still flowing as it is now. I'd probably go for it.

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:13 AM

I'm happy to hear responses to this question. I really want to take the 2 1/2 hour flight over from Maui in October, but my husband isn't quite as sure. I can't imagine that I'll ever see an active volcano again in my life! Anyone else have thoughts?
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 08:03 AM

I can only speak for myself and my husband - experiencing an active volcano is an outstanding experience. You can see beaches, waterfalls, beautiful views and ocean sunsets on any of the islands, but how often do you see an active volcano? Right now, the lava is making an ocean entry. Go to this website for updates and pictures:
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/main.html
Have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:34 PM

I agree with the previous post, once you have been a couple of feet from the flowing lava, its worth every minute of the trip. Even my teenaged daughters (easily bored) agree. Just be sure the lava is flowing well otherwise its just a glow on the horizon.

I have pictures of my girls roasting marshmellows over hot lava. Pretty cool!

Take the hike in the evening and be sure to take a flashlight for each member of the party and very strong hiking shoes. It's a rough though not strenuous hike.

We're going again next month and I hope that the lava is still flowing to the ocean as it is now (I think). The park ranger said that is the most spetacular sight of all.