Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

B&B recommendations for 2 adults...OREGON & N. CA...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:37 PM
thomas

My wife and I are driving from Portland to S.F. and would like to spend a night in a scenic area...in Oregon and then the second night in northern Cal. Is this possible? Will we have time to take our time and enjoy the drive? Thought I read about a B&B on a cliff one time in this forum, but cannot find it now. Thanks!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:43 PM
thomas

We'll be traveling middle of September.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 05:32 PM
charles

Try the Harbor House Inn in Elk, CA. They are on a cliff and their dining room looks west over the ocean. Dinner at sunset is fabulous.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Ms.Ghost

Just north of the Harbor House and closer to the village of Mendocino are the following places that also offer lodging right on the cliff: Albion River Inn (www.albionriverinn.com), the Heritage House (www.heritagehouseinn.com), the Little River Inn (www.littleriverinn.com) but only in their Van Damme House accomodations, and Cypress Cove (www.cypresscove.com). Mid September is an excellent time to visit the N. CA coast, but be sure to book soon as that time of year is very popular, and the actual bluff-front accomodations are not that many (though there are places that exist which will try to IMPLY they are right on the bluff!). A bit further south of Elk, in Gualala, is the Whale Watch Inn which is also on the bluff.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 07:56 AM
kam

Albion River Inn and Whale Watch Inn are both wonderful properties. Also look at the St. Orres Hotel in Gualala (www.saintorres.com) and Agate Cove (www.agatecove.com) There are super little places all down the coast but they do book early. I think you need to decide how much you want to drive each day and go from there.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:46 PM
d.embody

The Elk Cove Inn in Elk is very nice. www.elkcoveinn.com

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 02:03 PM
MsGhost

If you truly want to be right on the bluff, you might want to take into consideration the fact that at the Agate Cove Inn, you have to walk across the street from the inn to actually get "to the edge", though there is a bench there where one can sit. The other disadvantage of this property is that Hwy. 1 passes immediately behind the inn, and I have heard guests complain of the traffic noise from logging trucks. St. Orres, also, is not right on the bluff, but it is significantly farther from the road and I've not heard anyone complain about Hwy. noise. Again, in that instance, there is a road between you and the ocean. I guess how close you want to be could help in your decision!