B and B on Mackinac Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soending 2 nights on Mackinac Island at the beginning of October and we are trying to decide between staying at the Bay View B and B or the Metivier B and B. Has anyone stayed at either or have any thoughts? We would also like to know of must dos in the time we have there. We know we are going to splurge for lunch at the Grand Hotel.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 02:52 PM

Three must dos are vist & explore the fort... weather permitting, take a bike ride around the island and if any of the fudge shops are open in Oct. buy some Mackinac Island fudge!
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 06:14 PM

Another nice place for lunch is the Iroqouis which isn't spelled like that, but you get the gist. If the weather is still nice, they have a beautiful patio by the water.

I haven't stayed at either place, but have walked by them both many times and both look lovely. There really isn't a dump on the whole island, so I wouldn't worry much about it.

While at the Grand, be sure to poke your nose in the Cupola Bar. It is at the very top and the views are amazing.

I've never done this, but I believe you can tour the Governor's Mansion on Wednesdays if she isn't there.

They have a guide you can buy on the boat for $1. It is very good. Especially for $1.

Definitely take the main horse tour. It is very informative. And the Butterfly House is lovely especially in the cold weather. It is nicer than the butterfly place you can see on the horse tour.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

So the Bay View is not too far to be rolling our luggage from the docks? That was a concern. Do you recommend getting a ferry from Mackinaw City or St. Ignace?
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:52 AM

It would be fine to roll your luggage to the Bay View. The island is very small and nothing is too far away. The streets will be less crowded in October, so you won't have a problem.

It really doesn't matter where you get the ferry. Mackinaw City is very nice these days and a good place to walk around before your ferry. St. Ignace is also nice, just smaller, but if you want to drive over the bridge it is fun to say you've been in the UP. The bridge is $3 each way these days.

There is a nice restaurant in St. Ignace if you want to get a meal before going over:

http://www.mackinacgrille.com/

There are also lots of restaurants in Mackinac City.

The thing to do before you go is to print off the schedules from the 3 ferries, Sheplers, Arnold, and Star Line. Some have more boats going from Mackinaw, and some to St. Ignace. At that time of year they will only be running every hour so time your arrival with the ferry schedule. Some run on the hour, some on the half hour. And they sometimes revise their schedules without updating the website, you might want to call and confirm if you have your heart set on a certain departure.

There is also a nice lighthouse in Mackinaw City to tour:

http://www.mackinacparks.com/parks/o...lighthouse_11/

I got married on Mackinac Island, so we visit every year. It is a lovely place to just relax. It is so nice to hear the horses and no cars.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! We book the Metivier for 2 nights and we are so excited!!! What about restaurants on the island? Breakfast will be provided, but we would love some places for lunch and dinner.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:55 PM

You have to have a drink at the Pink Pony. Since the island is pretty small, it is very easy to walk down Main street deciding where you want to eat. Last time there we had dinner at Mary's Bistro near the Iroquois. It was wonderful with a great view of the water.

I actually have my latest issue of Traverse Magazine open and they listed some Best Eats on Mackinac:

Seabiscuit Cafe
Island House Bar and Grille
Epicurian at Mission Point
Mary's Bistro

I clicked on your name and saw you are doing a whole semi-circle tour of Lake Michigan. Did you find a place to stay on the way to Indy? If not, stopping in Saugatuck would be the place:

http://www.saugatuck.com/index.asp

And this b&b is fabulous:

http://www.kingsleyhouse.com/
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM

We are driving from Milwaukee to Macinac Isl. Need recommendations for a place to stay 1 night in the Escanaba,or Muncing area before going on to Macinac. Any recommendations for dining in this area would be helpful also.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM

It is a little out of your way, but Marquette is supposedly lovely.

CAREFUL on route 2 east of Escanaba. Notorious speed trap.

Sorry, but I'm a troll (live under the bridge) so I don't know much about the UP!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you KellieBellie! No, we have not found a place halfway to Indy yet. Thanks or the suggestions. We also need a place between Door County and Mackinac Island. We were thinking somewhere around Fayette?
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:29 PM

The UP is not really my forte. I did manage to find a b&b somewhat on your way:

http://www.sandtownfarmhouse.com/

The goofy b&b search engines seem to be doing distances as the crow flies, not really caring that there is a Great Lake in the way.

Oop - found another one:

http://tinyurl.com/5roel6

Old Sep 13th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Does anyone happen to know of a motel or somewhere around Fayette, MI? We think that is about as far as we will want to travel in one day from Door County, WI on our way to Mackinac. We read about the Star Motel and since we really are just going to sleep and get back on the road (because we want to get to Mackinac!), something clean and simple is fine.

Only 3 weeks now - so excited!