Avoid Boulder during Ironman?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm working in Denver Friday but have added a couple of days for sightseeing in the area.
I live in Houston and would prefer to stay somewhere other than Denver as I live in a big city and it would be a treat to stay somewhere pretty/not a big city.
My first choice was Boulder, however, anything in my budget is booked due to the Ironman this weekend.
I've booked a hotel in Georgetown (cute town I'm happy to revisit) but am now reconsidering that option.
I plan to rent a car for sightseeing and will be doing some light hiking, pretty car drives, walking beside streams, looking for pretty meadows, and oohing and aahing over the beauty we don't have at sea level. Shopping is not a priority at all. I want to take in the beautiful scenery. That's the priority.
Here are my specific questions:
Will Boulder be uncomfortably crowded this weekend due to the Ironman even if I just wanted to go visit Boulder/The Flatirons? There are plenty of other options I know I would enjoy.
I found a hotel option in Louisville, maybe that would be a better home base for 3 nights?
Perhaps I should reconsider staying in Denver and just get over it?
Any other areas that are pretty and not Denver but near Denver that I should consider?
Golden was booked up.
Nothing on Vrbo in my budget ($200 per night or less)
Don't want to do Air BnB
Your suggestions and recommendations are much appreciated!!!
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 04:21 PM

Did you look at Estes Park? That would't work for the day you need to work but would be a nice change for the weekend (as long as you avoid the town and spend most of the time in the national park).
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 05:46 PM

I don't know about Ironman crowds, but I would look at the Breckenridge/Frisco area.its not far from Georgetown but has nice hiking, beautiful scenery. Don't limit yourself to vrbo. Many from Houston visit Breck, a nice break from the heat & traffic.
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help!
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Just a follow up to say we stayed in Georgetown which is a charming mining town that sits in a box canyon surrounded by mountains. It was the perfect location to enjoy the scenery.