Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Avis convertable rental on Maui - trip around Hana...

Old Apr 29th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have rented a convertable thru Avis while in Maui. The trip around Hana completely looks and reads way to awesome to not do it. I have read in the Wizard publication about most car rental companies only limiting their rentals to roads that are improved vs. unimproved, and they make the claim that the section of the road in question is most definately improved. For those that have made this trip:

1) Is the road easily done in say a Chrysler Sebring? No worries along the way? I am used to one lane country roads with limited site lines from where I grew up so my first inclination is that I'm not worried.

2) Does anyone know if Avis or other companies SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDE that section of the road in their rental agreements? Are the rental contracts different in Hawaii or are they standard ones like on the mainland? It's not like I can call and ask them if the answer is negative.

Thanks much

Kevin
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Reply to <blue>osukru<black>,
Not sure about car rental contract exclusion wording, after having intialled and signed so many things at different places on same page with last rental, will check for rental copy later , though do recall rental companies distributing maps with areas indicating "do not drive here".
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:34 AM

Checked on three previous rental contracts (none from Avis) and the "Rental Agreement Number" document that is initialled and signed for all three companies states something to the effect of that you "must not violate the prohibited use" section and terms and conditions of the rental agreement which is located in the additional paperwork or "jacket", i.e., not the carbon copy you initial and sign and date. In my opinion these documents resemble standard mainland documents.

However, within the jacket or "Rental Agreement Terms" the terms vary from company to company about prohibited uses such as "operating vehicle on other than regularly maintained hard surface roadways", or as one company specifically states: "operating on unpaved roadways".

In my experience, having driven the route in an SUV, would agree that a front wheel drive vehicle (or 4WD or AWD) should have no problem, though some of the paved sections of the road contain a "washboard" surface and are very bumpy, so would not agree it is easy driving. Since there is an unpaved portion, I would not recommend driving the route in heavy , and would not follow anyone driving ahead too closely to avoid a cracked windshield.
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM
GBC

If you are plannning on the road to Hana via the northern route (continuing past Paia) then that is a completely paved road and although single lane in some places and complete with many, many turns, it is not very difficult to drive. We drove round trip in April (over three days) and there were many folks on the road in their rented Chysler convertibles. A four wheel drive would not provide any advantage unless you are thinking of some off road exploration. The best car for the trip, in my view, would be a mid size car that is extremely easy to steer in very tight curves.

If you are thinking of the southern route, that includes some stretches that are not paved at all. As I understand it, until recently this route was closed.

You would be wise to call the rental company in Hawaii, not the 800 number, and ask them exactly their policy is.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:20 AM

I've seen, and been passed by, tour busses roaring around the road past Hana. Clearly, it is not super highway, and, unpaved in stretches, but it's not moonscape, either.

Enjoy your trip.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all!!!