Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Automobile VCRs to Rent-any experiences?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:54 AM
RoadTrip

We're considering renting a automobile VCR for an upcoming road trip for the children. Certainly road games can't hold their attention or interest forever. Does anyone have any experiences to share, or recommendations, good bad, or otherwise? Thanks, in advance.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Jen

Whenever the drive is over 5 hours, I take my small TV which has a built-in VCR. It makes the trip much better! I have a power converter I plug into the cigarette lighter for the TV power. It helps if you have headphones with the TV so they don't have to have it up too loud (the road noise can make it a little hard to hear at times otherwise). For videos, I go to the local public library - all videos are free and you can keep them for two weeks (no late fees!). I also use books on tape (again, give the kids heaphones so you can listen to your own tapes on the car tape player). Have fun!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Utahtea

How much does it cost to rent? Why not buy a 9" TV-VCR with AC/DC and plug it into your cigarette lighter. You can pick them up pretty cheap now. Then you will have it when ever you go on any trip and it can be used at home too.

My boys loved to play video games and when we traveled from coast to coast one year doing four 500 miles day, it kept them so busy they didn't want to stop. When we got to interesting places they would stop playing (on their own) to site see.

Utahtea

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:48 AM
T. Berry

I'm really looking forward to the invention of a box I can put my kids in while I travel the world. In this box they will be fed at regular intervals, and amply entertained with videos and Nintendo. They won't even know I've been gone for two weeks!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:56 AM
dave

T.Berry, I think they already invented it, but they call still call it school and it doesn't market very well. Plus it isn't open 24 hrs. darn!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Utahtea

T. Berry,

Be careful what you wish for. Before you know it they will be grown and out of the house and YOU WILL MISS THEM!

Our vacations with our children were some of our best times. I loved having them on vacation and I miss them on vacation now that they are grown up young men living on their own.

Utahtea

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:09 AM
RoadTrip

A ten-day TV/VCR rental costs about $120. We considered buying a small TV, but as we very rarely drive for our vacations, and spend less than 30 minutes in front of the TV each evening, didn't think a purchase was worth the investment. This trip, however, has us driving two eight hours days, and even the most creative road games, books and music can't fill eight hours!

T. Berry, sorry you feel that way about your children. Perhaps you should spend time with them rather than posting inane comments here?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:21 AM
S

I know I saw 9" TV/VCR combinations at Best Buy over the holidays for about that price. Even though you don't really watch TV that much, it would definitely be worth the investment. We regularly make 12 hour trips to my in-laws. With the TV strapped onto it's stand and plugged into the inverter, the children watch their favorite movies with their headphones on while my husband and I listen to books on tape. Even the TV won't hold their attention forever, but it definitely makes the trip easier for them. If we see something interesting, we call their attention to it - all they really miss is the hours of monotonous fields of corn, etc.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:49 AM
TryThem

Are you sure that road games can't hold their attention that long? Have you tried?

Our family of five travelled regularly when I was a child. We got to be very good at entertaining ourselves and we certainly didn't have electronic gadgets to do it! In fact, we still talk about some of the things we did to amuse ourselves, some thirty years later!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:04 AM
cb

Having a TV and videogames in the car kinda defeats the purpose of a family vacation, doesn't it?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:30 AM
S

Not necessarily. Usually when we get to our destination, the TV never comes out of the vehicle unless we remove it for security purposes. Time on vacation is rarely spent watching the boob tube.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:35 AM
RoadTrip

We take two or three family vacations every year, but usually fly to our destination so we have more vacation time together. Boredom still sets in on the plane although we've got books, music, travel games, snacks, etc. Even on our transatlantic flights we'll watch a movie-that's not much different from an eight hour car ride. Our children are a 1 and 6 year old-TV/movie watching is a treat at home, and the movie just might be the ticket to help the baby take a nap.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:57 AM
x

As a child our family of 7 did car games on our annual road trip. Counting volkswagons and those bingo cards with the moveable windows kept us from beating the tar out of each other from boredom. Why in the world would that be a better choice today that say, video games or TV in the car. The superiority of the stupid car games here is ridiculous. It's that old "if it was good enough for me then it's good enough for the next generation" Well how about this, we didn't have to wear the seatbelts, or didn't have enough to go around, back then. I say rent the vcr/tv combo or buy an inexpensive combo and the adapter and enjoy your vacation.

To those who are discouraging you I say you're acting like an old fogey.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:28 AM
T. Berry

I can see my sarcasm was lost on a few of you. Did you ever stop to think that kids can actually learn something from boredom? Do you remember as a kid getting bored, complaining about it and then figuring out something to do to entertain yourself? You are doing your kids a disservice by not letting them get bored and then using their creative juices. Is the TV in the car for your benefit or for theirs?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Utahtea

To RoadTrip:

Even if you don't watch TV very much, with your children being so young, I'm sure there will be other road trips. I would look at Costco or Walmart for the cheapest TV/VCR combo that has AC/DC. It won't cost much more than the rental.

Also I would suggest stopping often to let the little ones run off energy.

Utahtea

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:29 AM
S

T. Berry, my children are known throughout the neighborhood for being outside all the time. They are very capable of amusing themselves. Both my daughters read 3 grade levels above their age - but unfortunately can get carsick while reading in the car. Plus, unlike when we were children, they are required to be buckled into a seat belt while traveling. That tends to cramp a lot of creativity. So we let them watch videos while traveling on the 12 hour trips. There's plenty of time for creativity before and after the trip.