Search

Austin-Trip to UT

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austin-Trip to UT

My husband is taking our son ( who is an obsessed freshman football player and obsessed with attending UT) to UT for a campus tour and UT football game this fall. Is there any other attractions in the area a 14 year football player would be interested in?

After seeing "Friday Night Lights" I think our son believes if he lives in Texas he'll become an even better football player.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Karenpj

I can ask my daughter who's a 2nd year law student at UT. She was never much into football till she went to UT just over a year ago. Hook em Horns! I'll get back to you with any ideas from her.

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Karenpj

Have you seen this website ydoc? It has a lot of info and links for UT football and other sports too:
http://www.texassports.com/

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you karenpj for the website.

I wonder if your daughter might know of anyone who might be interested in taking our son and my husband on a more personalized tour of the campus. As I mentioned in the previous post, our son loves football and is actually a very gifted player. We are hoping if he talks to a peer at UT who shares the same passion then possibly it would spark the academic side in him.

We have a "generalized" tour already scheduled but I feel if our son could find someone who stirred his interests by showing him around, it would be a more meaningful experience.

They have the entire day of November 3rd open,

I thought I would give it a try and ask.

Thanks!

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:51 AM

ydoc, I realize you're probably looking for a more personal tour, but have you checked out the ones offered by the University? Here's a link:

http://www.utexas.edu/tours/

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 06:38 AM

ydoc:

I don’t know what all you have set up but here are a few things that might interest your son.

The Texas Longhorn Trophy Room is open to the public M-F 8-5 and is located at the stadium in the Moncrief-Neuhaus Athletic Center. It overlooks the stadium and has all the trophies – past and present. It is really something to see if you are a fan. While at the stadium they could also go to the Longhorn Ltd., a store with all things UT.

The Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum – this is located a few blocks from the stadium and the Capital. The museum is very interesting, but there are also two movies that are great. The IMAX has one called Texas: The Big Picture and then The Texas Spirit Theater, which is a multimedia special effects theater, tells the story of Texas in a very entertaining way.

Game Day is always very busy and tailgaters are out in force and that is always fun to watch. Scholz Garten is a very popular place to go before the game. They have a limited menu on game day, but it is great place to grab a bite or just hang around before the game. But count on a large crowd.

I don’t know where they are staying, but The Doubletree Hotel on 15th Street is very close to the Capital and UT. It is about four blocks from the edge of campus so I think it is a popular place for people coming in for the game. Across the street is a place called The Texas Chili Parlor – a true Texas dive – but a great place to get Texas chili.

If I think of more things I will let you know.

Hook ‘em.

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. My husband was able to connect with an old friend who is able to set-up a more personalized tour of UT. Thanks for the Doubletree information, I'll check into the hotel.

My only fear is I don't think our son will want to come back to Illinois after his visit!

Thanks again!
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

I'm sure my husband's friend will give him hotel info as the Doubletree only has rooms starting at $300 a night. Is this the norm for football season or are there other hotel options near UT around $120 - $180 a night?

Thanks
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 08:53 AM

You can check out the Radisson. It may be longer than walking distance to UT, but would be worth checking it out: http://www.radisson.com/
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 08:58 AM

I've also seen positive posts on this one:
http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/
There's one on 6th Street and downtown. Prices look $115.- ish.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 09:38 AM

ydoc, hotels are definitely more expensive when there are home games so I would try and book one right now. You don't have to be within walking distance of the stadium but I would definitely try and stay downtown. They have free trolleys (Dillos), or your husband and son can take a bus.

I thought your son might be interested in an article that I read in this morning's paper about the new TV show Friday Night Lights. It is filmed in the Austin area. If the link doesn't work, just go to Statesman.com and look under the Life section. You may have to register but they don't bug you with emails or anything.

http://tinyurl.com/mg44y

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

AustinTraveler

Our son has a mental countdown for Friday Night Lights to premier this Tuesday. I hope I either learn to use the recorder or homework will have to be completed before!

If this show doesn't push our son over the edge to move to Texas, nothing will!!

He is so excited to go to the UT game and see the sights. I haven't seen him this excited except for his own football games.

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:24 AM

UT should be able to arrange a nice campus tour. If you could get him to a game, he would be "hooked" for sure. As for food, a trip to Dirty Martin's is in order. Just north of campus.....the best greasy hamburger in the state of Texas. Has been owned by the same family for over 50 years....my husband (UT EX) went to kindergarten with the current family owner. Incredible!!!!
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:45 AM

Hey ydoc,

Forget learning how to record, just have your son do it for you! Trust me, he probably already knows how or he can figure it out in no time.

Another good burger joint is Hut's Hamburgers on Sixth Street. Great when you need a burger and rings fix! Suz, I've never checked out Dirty Martin's but now I will.

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:57 AM

Austin.......Hut's is good, but Dirty's is better. You do not need to apply moisturizer for about a week following one burger!! ahahahah
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Geez, thanks for all the eating ideas. I assume none of them take reservations?
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 01:03 PM

Most restaurants in Austin take reservations unless they are pretty upscale, but expect crowds everywhere downtown because of the game and just students in general.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM

I meant to say most restaurants DON'T take reservations unless they are upscale.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

I'm sure you all are tired of me by now but I need to know if the Radisson is walking distance to UT. My husband has a room at the Marriott but I think it's further away.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 01:34 PM

Hi ydoc, not sick of you at all! No, the Radisson isn't walking distance to UT but they can take a bus or one of the Dillos.

If you're talking about the Marriott on East 11th, it is much closer to UT than the Radisson, which is right on Town Lake. The Marriott is a great location if you're going to UT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -