Search

Austin, Texas

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2000, 12:28 PM
Donna

Austin, Texas

We will be in Austin for several days at the end of May. Any suggestions for restaurants and not to missed activities/experiences/sites/ shopping, etc.?Thank you!

Old May 22nd, 2000, 08:44 PM
Lia

Things to do: I would recommend hiking on the Barton Creek Greenbelt, checking out Barton Springs (spring fed 68 degree "pool" in middle of town), Hamilton Pool (a grotto- very unusual), and of course, live music on 6th Street.
I'm not sure if the bats will be here then, but if they are, it is something worth seeing. (A huge bat colony lives under the Congress Ave. bridge and flies out at dusk during summer months.)

Food: For casual Tex-Mex with a great view of the lake, try the Iguana Grill on Hwy 620. Everybody will tell you to go to the Oasis for the view, but it's just as good at Iguana and the food is 10 times better. For good Tex-Mex in town try Chuy's, Curra's Grill, or El Sol y La Luna. Other good places are Z Tejas (southwestern), Fonda San Miguel (interior Mexican), Castle Hill (eclectic).

Some good web sites to check out are www.austin360.com and austin.citysearch.com.

Old May 24th, 2000, 03:31 PM
BranV

I lived in Austin for a few years, and get back there at every opportunity to visit! We never go without a trip to County Line BBQ. I don't even really like meat that much, but I definitely say there's is outstanding: really the best! Katz's on 6th street (not the main area, further west) has the best deli food (yes, deli food in TExas!) I would suggest a trip to Fredericksburg and Enchanted Rock (but the latter only if you like lots of hiking!) For the view, try the Oasis on Lake Travis, and swimming at Windy Point at Lake Travis (but not hippy hollow, just ask around, you'll find out why If you want to visit the capital, it's very nice to have a picnic lunch on the grounds, lots of green green grass and shade from big trees. You'll love it there

Old May 24th, 2000, 03:42 PM
kam

There was just an article about Austin in the recent American Airlines magazine. Perhaps someone could bring you a copy off a plane? I read it, but can't remember any of the recommendations.

Old May 24th, 2000, 03:51 PM
David

1. Swim at Barton Springs
2. At dusk go to Congress St. Bridge and watch the bats (Worlds largest colony)-not as bad as it sounds
3. Go to lake travis (oasis or other) for drinks
4. Sixth St. for music, drinks (Stop at Maggie Mae's)

Old May 26th, 2000, 09:22 AM
codetta

Not mentioned here yet here I enjoy touring the capitol building in Austin. They have a very nice tour that is free and leaves every 30 min or so. I live in San Antonio and drive up there with company every year or so to see the capitol and the grounds around it are very pretty.