Reload this Page >

Austin area neighborhoods

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Emily

I've heard Lago Vista is an up and coming neighborhood near Austin. Would someone mind giving me a little info about it, mainly what it looks like, what's nearby, etc. I will be visiting Austin soon and I would like to see towns with charming and/or unique town centers. Any suggestions on which towns to see? I've been to Georgetown, but I'm looking for something in the hills. Thanks!

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 06:28 PM
James

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 04:18 PM
bhavana

then Carmel [south of San Jose, CA] must be on your to-see list. The town center [can't call it downtown coz it's so quaint and charming, very european] is so incredible.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 09:33 AM
lei

bhavana, I think you have the wrong state.
I pass Lago Vista on 71 on my way to Marble Falls area. I've never stopped at Lago Vista, but I'm sure it's nice. It's probably on the lake and positive it will be hilly. Anything west on 71 is hilly. I would recommend Marble Falls area, it's my fav. About 1 hr west of Austin. Some of the smaller towns like Burnet, Llano, Kingsland are nice, but may be out of the way.
I would also check out Bees Cave, it's been awhile but I remember it being nice. Fredricksburg might be worth seeing. I know it had a nice downtown when I was a kid, but not sure about now.
Good Luck and have a great trip.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 10:48 AM
lisa

Lago Vista is out on the Lake, probably about 45 minutes or more to Austin. I've only been there once a few years ago, but pretty much every place near our lakes are nice. Houses on/near our lakes that are closer in are very, very expensive. I think the prices in LV are lower because it is a bit of a drive from Austin.

Are you planning to move to Austin and work here? If so, the commute would be horrendous, as our traffic borders on unbearable. However, we are experiencing so much sprawl, that unless you have a fat bank account, it's difficult to afford anything closer in.

Bee Caves, Dripping Springs, Lakeway, Wimberley, are all possibilities. A lot "depends" on what size population and how much you can afford.

I'd be happy to tell you all about Austin. You can email me at [email protected] or talk to me here. If you do email me, Please clearly post that you are from fodors. I get SO much junk mail that I delete if it doesnt' even remotely look familiar!

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Catherine

If you are looking for charming towns, try New Braunfels, Greune, Bastrop and Dripping Springs. The hill country of Texas has many unique little towns, most of them carefully preserved and benefitting from Austin's boom period during the '90's. Are you interested in antiques or architecture or just plain ambiance. In the German town of New Braunfels, visit the Hummel museum, eat German food at Krauses, and dip your toes in the natural springs in Landa Park. In Greune you will find the Old Grist Mill and picturesque spot for lunch and walk right next door to enjoy live music at one of the oldest (and most famous)dance halls in Texas, Greune Hall. Bastrop, one of Texas' oldest towns, is not in the hill country but is located on the Colorado River and has more than one hundred buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places. No matter which town you decide to travel to, drive to the very center of town and see the Courthouse. Small town Texas is know for its wonderful collection of Courthouses, most of them designed by famous architects: James Riley Gordon, W. C. Dodson, Eugene Heiner and F. E. Ruffini.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 05:09 PM
Paul

Having been born in and raised near Austin, I've never heard of such a neighborhood. In fact, if you are going to that part of Minnesota to visit, I would recommend Minneapolis over Austin. There is much more to do...

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 07:19 AM