Auntie's Ocean View Rental, Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auntie's Ocean View Rental, Kauai

http://www.vrbo.com/28312
http://www.kauaiholiday.com/rentals/aunties/ocean/

Anyone familiar with this rental on the North Shore? It says it's in Wainiha, but I'm trying to figure out if it's closer to Hanalei or Haena...
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 03:09 PM

This one is right in Wainiha...short walk from Wainiha General Store.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 04:27 PM

[and put up with desired minor repairs that are evaded by the handyman,]

This is the phrase that would make me think twice!

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

OldSouthernBelle, where did you find that phrase?

AuntieMaria, do you know anything about the property? How close is it to the beach?

Thanks for your responses!!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Nevermind, OldSouthernBelle - I saw it in the vrbo posting. Not sure how I missed it the first time!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Regarding the vrbo link, be aware that the roosters start screaming at 0-dark-thirty in the morning. Our hosts in Hanalei told us not to feed the roosters and I understand why. Every morning (before dawn) I'd hear them. They weren't on our block, but they were within a mile or so. Their voices carry and they are loud. If an owner warns you about roosters in their neighborhood, I'd take that warning into consideration.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:18 PM

So, are some areas better than others regarding the roosters?
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 03:07 PM

Good question OSB. I'm thinking in Hanalei, you're bound to hear them unless you have dual pane windows and keep the windows shut and/or use ear plugs. We had those louvered panes. We left most of them open. It gave us a nice cross breeze. I could hear them in the distance. I'm just grateful they weren't below our windows. That would have made me nuts.

What do you think AuntieM? Are some areas better than others?

I remember one vrbo person wrote regarding their Hanalei property something like, "The house is in a cul-de-sac. If you can handle kids playing, and roosters crowing, you'll love the place." For me anyway, this wasn't exactly a selling point, but I appreciated that the owner included this info in the description of the property.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 04:55 PM
iceeu2

OSB, that is the charm of Kauai. Rooster crowing whenever the urge hits!

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:37 PM

You guys can't be serious. There are roosters and chickens EVERYWHERE on that blasted hunk of lava. No place is off limits!

-Bill
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:27 PM
trippinkpj

Maybe you have your heart set on the North Shore. I didn't notice roosters crowing on the south side:http://www.southshorevista.com/
I stayed at SSV in Kalaheo several years ago, but I think they still get good ratings.

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:02 AM
iceeu2

Now, I just have to ask this. Has anyone and I do mean anyone ever looked at someone's photos of Kauai and there not be roosters in at least a zillion million shots?

There are roosters to the east and roosters to the west and roosters to the one that I love best!

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:16 AM

They even invade the beaches!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bquarr...&.dnm=36a1.jpg

-Bill
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:20 AM

LifesADance:

While the rental is close to the beach, no one swims there -- the water is cloudy (which sharks love), the surf pounds (lovely to look at, though), and the rip current is treacherous. It's popular for fishing, but that's about it.

The good news is, you'll have a head start for your morning snorkeling -- just 5 minutes drive to Makua; another 5 or so to Ke`e.

As for chickens...yes, they are everywhere on this island now...thanks to Hurricane `Iniki blowing them island-wide! Most of the roosters only crow at sunrise and sunset though. Here in Princeville they are very civilized...the morning crowing doesn't usually start until 8a.m. 8-)
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, AuntieMaria! I don't need a swimmable beach right outside my door. I'm just looking for scenery, walks on the beach, stuff like that.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Ok, so I got my answer!

While I realize that Kauai is reported to have more roosters than any other Hawaiian Island, I had seen them on both Maui and Oahu, but weren't awakened by them where we were.

But, while on St. Thomas, I did notice the early crowers...mostly when I walked out onto the balcony, as we had A/C!...Another reason to HAVE it!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:04 PM

Maybe they need to open a chicken hunting season...THEN I could convince DH to go!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:15 PM

OSB,
My favorite beach on St. John was Gibney, not because it was the prettiest, or had the calmest water, or had the fewest people, BUT because it was the only beach on that island that had a rooster yelping it's little gobler off in the middle of the day. I was FONDLY reminded Kaua'i. ~gt;
-Bill
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Kaua'i? Roosters~gt;? Surely you jest.......
8-)
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:31 AM
iceeu2

OSB, when we were there last we went to Juni's(he makes jewelry from opihi shells)house. He and the real icee hit it off splendidly, as they talked about hunting on Kauai!!

LifesADance, you decided yet where you will stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -