Search

Attitash Mountain

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 05:01 PM
elena

Attitash Mountain

Is there any reason why I can get such a great deal for the week after easter, e.g. no snow, horrible mountain,etc.? I looked at their website, and of course, it sounds great.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 01:02 PM
bm

Can't find my new calendar so don't know when Easter is this year, but lots of times school breaks in New England co-incide with Easter, so maybe thats why you're having a little trouble finding what you want. The skiing was fantastic last season well into April because of all the late season snow. Hard to tell what conditions will be like this year at that time.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 01:14 PM
philip

I've read in a few article, that as a result of the economic downturn and concerns over safety overseas and on airplanes, you may see more American's opting for more low-key, local vacations.

Maybe that is the effect you are seeing when trying to book a ski vacation. Some that would have normally gone to Florida or the Caribbean, may be choosing to stay local this year.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:23 AM
bennie

School vacations in Mass are in Feb and April 15-19. Attitash relies on Mass families coming up to ski. I think you are getting a great deal because its late in the ski season, there are no schools on vacation at that time and because the area has a huge number of condos etc for rent. ie low demand plus high supply equals a great deal for you. Have fun!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Dick

I gather from the calendar that we're talking about the first week in April, right? Anything in New England in April gets a bit iffy, and with a summit elevation of only a bit over 2300' (base is only 600', about the same as my home in the Boston 'burbs), Attitash is not a good candidate for late-season snow, 'though as bm said, we could get lucky again and have an outstanding late-season snow year. I personally would not bet on it by booking a vacation at Attitash for April, unless the price is very, very good. Worst case, I suppose, is that you could stay at Attitash and ski at Wildcat or one of the other areas nearby. But if you want the ski in/ski out kinda thing and don't want to worry about it you'll have a much better chance of finding good snow at some place like Sunday River.