Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Atlanta- -Swiss Hotel or Marriott Marquis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 10:42 AM
James

I Have tickets to the NCAA Final Four mens college basketball tournament in Atlanta Easter weekend and have reservations at the Swiss Hotel and the Mariott Marquis. Could anyone tell me which hotel would be the best to stay at. It seems that Buckhead has more dining choices and nightlife, but the Mariott would be closer to the Georgia dome and the Georgia World Congress Center. Is it a hassle staying in Buckhead and taking MARTA to downtown? Finally which hotel has the better pool and exercise facilities? Thanks for the help!!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Laura

It's hard to compare - they're an apple and an orange...

Marriott Marquis is a huge convention hotel right downtown. It's fine - but kind of like a hive -- lots and lots of rooms. There are a few restaurants downtown, but very little shopping, etc..

The Swiss Hotel is a pretty and modern hotel (with a very nice art collection actually) right next to Lenox Mall and Phipps Mall, both of which are great shopping and lots of good restaurants.
You can walk to the Lenox Marta station from the Swiss Hotel, and I have found Marta to be very easy to use.

I think your decision depends on how much time you'll be spending not watching basketball. If almost all of your time will spent at the tournament, the Marquis might be the easiest b/c of location. But if you want to get in some good eating and shopping outside of the tournament, the Swiss Hotel is definitely the best choice. Good luck!

laura

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Jason

I agree with Laura. Both are great hotels. The Marriott is closer to the GA Dome, but is not close enough to walk (I guess you could walk, but it would be over 30 minutes.) So either hotel will likely require you hop on the subway, which goes directly to the Dome. Buckhead is the heart of Atlanta dinig, shopping, and nightlife. While it is a few stops further away on MARTA, the Swissotel would be my choice.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Jason

I agree with Laura. Both are great hotels. The Marriott is closer to the GA Dome, but is not close enough to walk (I guess you could walk, but it would be over 30 minutes.) So either hotel will likely require you hop on the subway, which goes directly to the Dome. Buckhead is the heart of Atlanta dining, shopping, and nightlife. While it is a few stops further away on MARTA, the Swissotel would be my choice.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 03:28 PM
steve

Trust me on this one: Swissotel. It's just a very short walk to the Buckhead MARTA station and there is much more to do in the area. The Marriott Marquis is a huge convention hotel.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Danna

I Love the Swisshotel.
Exercise room is pretty good, treadmills, eliptical, etc. Not sure about a pool. I'm a little afraid of downtown, to be honest.
Two restaurant suggestions:
Brasserie Le Coze (sister restaurant to Le Bernardine in NYC) is in the Lenox Mall (strange but true) You can have a very nice French meal, lots of French wine, and walk(stumble) across the parking lot to the Swisshotel, no designated driver required!
Or Soto a marvelous sushi restaurant is very close by. (I secretly enjoyed Soto more than Nobu)

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:39 AM
T.M.

Swiss Hotel, no question about it.

The Mariott is nice but like others have pointed out, its like a rabbit warren of rooms. Nothing special.

Swiss Hotel is indeed further away but MARTA is right down the street. Not to mention its one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in. Very comfortable, classy rooms. And in a better area for dining, in my opnion.