Search

Atlanta restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta restaurants

The two restaurants mentioned to me by the one person we know who has lived in Atlanta are Kyma (this person's favorite) and South City Kitchen. We'll be staying at the Downtown Hilton on a business trip next month and will have 1 night to eat out. Would be interested in hearing which one other folks prefer (we love both southern and Greek cuisine)-- and also about how much cab fare might be to each. Thanks!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:34 AM

South City is in Midtown and Kyma is in Buckhead. Midtown is closer and therefore the cab fare would be less. Ask the hotel for approx amount - Atlantans don't take cabs very much

You could take MARTA from the Hilton to Midtown as well.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks starrsville. Do you know those 2 restaurants well? Do you like them? Are there any as good that are considerably closer to the Hilton? (I wish we were staying in Buckhead, but, alas, the conference is at the Hilton and I didn't feel like putting out money for hotel when it could be paid for if we stayed put at the Hilton. Not looking forward to the hotel-- so thought it'd be nice to have a memorable dinner somewhere.)
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:02 PM

I like the Hilton just fine. I stay there a couple of times a year on business - and I'm local.

My favorite restaurant in walking distance from the Hilton is Dailey's. Ray's in the City is supposed to be good - but I went with a business group and the service was horrible so it's not a favorite (Ray's on the River is there other restaurant). If you want casual, Mama Ninfa's is nearby. She invented the fajita in her restaurant in Houston. If you want southern, Mary Mac's Tea Room or the Colannade are THE southern restaurants in town. Mary Mac's would be a Marta/walk or cab ride. I've eaten at South City and its fine. Not my fave, but evidently is your friend's. I'm not been to Kyma.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:03 PM

If you like Thai, Nan's is excellent - and is a short cab ride away.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM
iceeu2

poss, I used to love Dailey's. Haven't been there in a while tho.

Swordfish and a wonderful dessert.

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:07 PM

South City Kitchen is a good choice for a visitor interest in upscale southern. It's a high-energy, exciting place with good looking people and usually good food. It can be pretty noisy though. And it's got a great location, surrounded by other bars/restaurants/clubs. I find pedestrian-friendly Midtown much more fun than car-centric Buckhead. It's about a 3 minute ride from the Hilton.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Personally (and I know a lot of people will disagree with me), I really don't like the Colonnade --- the food there is not nearly as good as other Southern places in the city --- induces heartburn but not in a good way. South City is good but "upscale" Southern. My favorite Southern place in the city is the oft-overlooked Agnes & Muriels. Their fried mac & cheese is sinfully delicious and my husband thinks that their Coke basted ribs are the best in the city. Agnes & Muriels is in midtown.

The problem with downtown is that there aren't a ton of great restaurants down there. I tried Repast recently which is close to downtown but the food was really not worth the price. Midtown is a better destination and you will have lots to choose from: Nan's (someone else mentioned - excellent Thai); South City Kitchen (southern); Agnes & Muriels (southern); Mary Macs (southern); MF Sushi (sushi, obviously); Nam (vietnamese); Bacchanalia (ridiculously good but very upscale), etc. Also, Midtown has the best clubs/bars in the city and they are walking distance from most of these restaurants. I haven't been to Kyma so can't comment on that but I will point you to my favorite Atlanta blogsite --- google Blissful Glutton. Her reviews are usually on the mark and it's a fun site.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:18 AM

A Greek friend of ours was married in Atlanta and he had his rehearsal dinner at Avra in Midtown (http://www.avragreektavern.com/) The food was delicious. We ate there on a subsequent visit on our own, and really liked it - it's fun, not too expensive, good vibe. It's a lively area.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:40 AM

I agree with Brian -- South City Kitchen is a great choice for upscale Southern food.

For something more casual (but not really southern) in Midtown, you might consider the Vortex.

For breakfast, try the Flying Biscuit. Be prepared to wait in line.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:56 AM

topping for amcc. The food at Avra is fabulous, the service great and it's a really fun place to go. Also, it's much more reasonably priced (if this is an issue at all) than Kyma, which of course means you can go to the new place, Chocolate and Pink (5th and Juniper) for dessert!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:48 AM

I was also at Avra about a month ago and would also recommend it.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:37 AM

So many new places in Midtown. When we lived on Myrtle Street the only place on Juniper was Spice and the Chinese place. A 3-block walk. I really miss that hood.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 11:12 AM

I am a big fan of the Flying Biscuit, which has a location in Midtown. Think Southern organic with great biscuits. It's a casual/hip atmosphere and the food is really good.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate all the feedback! (yep, pun intended)
We're not really looking for swinging or hip places-- we're 70-something types-- just terrific food, preferably in an atmosphere where we can actually have a conversation without shouting. Price doesn't matter, but at the same time, we've often thought as highly of food in non "high end" restaurants as in the very expensive ones. (e.g. some of those absolutely terrific places in Charleston) Our friend who recommended Kyma so highly also liked Nan a lot, so maybe we'll go there. But we virtually never get great Greek food, so if Avra is really terrific (and much closer than Kyma)-- and pleasant atmosphere-- maybe we'll try that. I'll do a bit more reserach. Thanks, everyone!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 01:27 PM

I like Mary Macs for southern food.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 03:22 PM

I'm glad to know that Avra is good. I walk past it all the time. The Chinese restaurant next door is REALLY good. Spice is catty corner across the street and is good too.

With all the recommendations for Avra, I'm going to eat there in the next couple of weeks.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Definetly go to the Flying Bisquit for breakfast and go to their bakery next door and get the BEST peach muffins to take home with you. They are to die for!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:00 AM

You'll love it! Make sure to try the Gigandes as an appetizer. Big White Beans with savory tomato sauce....mmmmmmmmm.....
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM

There is a great "foodie" website called chowhound.com ...You can post your question in the "South" portion of their message board and get some great responses from people who know and love food. I am planning a driving trip to "eat my way through the south" and have found it to be quite helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -