Atlanta MARTA question

Mar 16th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Atlanta MARTA question

Hello. I have a conference at the Sheraton Atlanta (http://www.sheratonatlantahotel.com/). I am taking MARTA from the airport to the hotel. Can anyone give me instructions/directions for this trip?
Mar 16th, 2004, 03:42 AM

It's a piece of cake, since there are no connections. There is a stop at Peachtree Center:

http://www.itsmarta.com/getthere/sch...index-rail.htm

Note that while there is plenty of active street life in this neighborhood during the business day, it can tend to become quite quiet at night. (Because I'm the kind of person who likes to see a lot of people on the street, I would probably bite the bullet and take a cab in from the airport if I was arriving later in the evening -- but perhaps that's just me.)
Mar 23rd, 2004, 04:40 PM

Once you get to Peachtree Center Station you want to exit at the south end of the station ( you will be going north from the airport) You also want the east side of the street so exit the station left. Head up an extremely long escalator. When you hit the street go right on the famous Peachtree street and then turn right onto Ellis street. The Ritz Carlton is on the corner. Walk down the hill two blocks to Courtland street and you should see the hotel across the street.
Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:06 PM

I TOTALLY agree with Flyboy. I just went to ATL a few weeks ago and I always feel like it's a little menacing around there. I was approached by no less than 6 people between the a/p and the hotel... even on the train.
I had my laptop case and a suitcase and I think the guy behind me on the escalater was just about to grab the smaller bag and take off when we got to the top and he noticed a cop just a few yards away. He got off the escalator and went straight back down before the cop turned our way.
Take a cab if it late!!!!
Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:22 PM

I agree. If late take a cab.
Except that Atlanta cabs are not the best either, and it is hard at times to find an English speaking driver.

My opinion is that Atlanta is in deep denial over the hazards of the Marta system and the environments around the the Marta stations. The Marta administration wonders why more people don't take the subway. Two reasons: it does not access much of Atlanta and after dark it is scary as hell to ride it.

I think the most terrified I have been in my life (post military) was the night I arrived much later in the evening than planned. I had left my car at the Marta parking garage (attended) near Lenox Square. I got off the train at the Lennox station and then had to thread my way through a deserted end of the station and then I had to walk through the hall of a deserted office building to take the elevator to the parking garage. I never did that again!

I think my pulse rate must have been close to 125 by the time I got to my car. Fortunately nothing happened.

The price to park in an attended off airport covered parking facility may be $6.00 - $7.00 a day more, but that is cheap compared to experiencing mortal fear. I think about that excursion three years after the fact and I still get a case of the "willies".

I did not fully realize what I was getting into at the time, and going back was just as scary as going ahead. I have not repeated that mistake. I think I would have been just as concerned if there had been 3 of us. Six of us and perhaps my fears would have been less.

Search this Thread