Search

Atlanta Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 03:08 PM
Linda

Atlanta Hotels

My husband and I will be attending a wedding in Atlanta in October 2001. I would like to stay in an area where restaurants and good shops are close by but have heard Buckhead has become a "drinking fountain" for college students. Can anyone suggest an area of the city and/or a hotel? Since we will have to put off a summer vacation, we want to make this trip more than just for the wedding. May stay in Savannah for a few days or somewhere on the coast. Any suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated. BTW, have seen hotels in Altanta for $300 per night. This is a little out of our league unless just for one night.

Thanks!!!

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 07:16 AM
Brian in Atlanta

2 questions:

1) Where is the wedding?
2) Will you have a car?

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 08:04 AM
Lori

Are you also looking for suggestions on trips near Atlanta? If so, what are types of things are you looking for, eg the Highlands of NC would be nice in October.
Agree w/Brian in Atlanta is the location of wedding/reception is important factor in giving recommendations as well as how many days. eg the Marriott Suites in Midtown is a bit roomier than traditional rooms, w/an interesting location, not $300/night, near Piedmont Park and High Museum, some good restaurants and clubs and a Marta train station if you want to zip up to Buckhead for great shopping at Phipps/Lenox w/out worrying about parking.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 08:22 AM
Linda

Yes we will have a car, however the only thing I know about the location of the wedding is "downtown Atlanta". Not having been to Atlanta before, I have no idea what that means. We will be driving from NY to Atlanta on I95 and back up through West Virginia which I think is I75 (or vice versa). We are taking a week on either side of the wedding as "our vacation" part of the trip.

I thank you for your replies and look forward to any suggestions.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Though the wedding is downtown, I wouldn't recommend staying there. There are few shops/restaurants open on weekends that are worth a damn.

My suggestion would be Midtown. There are good restaurants and a few shops in the heart of Midtown (and more are opening weekly), there are some decent tourist options (the High Museum, Woodruff Arts Center, Fox Theater), you'll likely have direct subway access to the wedding and you'll be a short drive from good restaurants and shops in the Virginia Highland neighborhood, Little 5-Points (if you're adventurous) and even the great town of Decatur.

Midtown is just a mile or so north of downtown while Buckhead is about 5 miles north. A good hotels with good rates in a great location is the Wyndham on Peachtree Street at 10th Street. You're a block from a subway station and a block and a half from some good restaurants and shops and the city's largest park, Piedmont Park. I should say that Midtown does have a significant gay population, so if that bothers you, you may want to choose Buckhead.

Check the Wyndham out on the internet. If it's not to your liking, other choices are the Sheraton Colony Square or the Four Seasons (though this one will be expensive).

Let me know if I can help further.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 10:17 AM
ncgrrl

Hi Linda,

$300/night is too much for Manhattan, let alone Atlanta. If the wedding party already knows the reception hotel, try to get something there. Many hotels on I-85/285 and can drive in on Saturday for wedding or take MARTA.

If you're doing a loop trip to Atlanta I highly recommend taking the Blue Ridge Parkway back home.

My guess is way down south is I-95 to Richmond VA, then I-85 to Atlanta. Watch out for road construction in Richmond and between Durham and Greensboro, NC. I-85 between Hillsborough and Greensboro is joined with I-40. Congested during morning rush hours. If you need a break, Hillsborough is a charming historical town. Doesn't take that long to see everything, but a good place to stop for lunch.

On the way back take I-85 to just north of Anderson SC, then take highway 178 which becomes NC 280 to Asheville, NC. Tour the Biltmore House (about $35 but worth it) and Asheville.

Next get on the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to mile "0" in Waynesboro, VA (plan on a couple of days for this).

If going north take Skyline drive ($10), Hihgway 340, I-81. Or go east to Charlottesville and see Monticello. Beautiful country hear, and not too hard to get to DC from.

Enjoy your trip and congrats to the happy couple!

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 10:53 AM
Linda

Wow! Excellent information! Thanks folks, I will start my internet search and my planning. Thanks again!

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 04:49 AM
Brooke

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Buckhead and did not see any college kids and we shopped in the area and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary. Now at night there are a lot of bars and thats where the college kids are at, I dont think they really live in the area they just come on the weekend nights.

When we were going to Buckhead, someone recommended the "Virginia Highlands", I dont know much about this area.

We have also stayed at the Hilton Resort Lake Lanier towards Gwinnett County. We liked this area. It was also near the Mall of Georgia if you are interested in shopping. I'm not sure if Stone Mountain is still open in October, but it is nearby too.

Good Luck!

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 07:52 AM
fawn

Didnt see the post so here is the short of it:
Atlanta:
http://www.wyndham.com/Vinings/default.cfm

Wyndam Vinings...
nice hotel, walk across the street to truly quaint shops, nice restaurants, coffee houses, (6-12 min. drive to "downtown")

Savannah:
http://www.presidentsquarters.com
(breakfast and high tea will fill you up so you will only need to spend on a snack and dinner) savannah is a walking town and much to see, so spend most of your time there!