Search

Atlanta Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta Airport

We're thinking of flying Delta from Daytona Beach to Dayton but we have to change planes in Atlanta. Assuming they are on time we only have 45 minutes between flights. Is this long enough? Do they usually check the bags right through? Sorry if the questions are stupid but we're from the UK and have never flown on internal flights in the US before. Many thanks.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:53 AM

Big question is: Are you staying on the same airline, or changing? If you're staying on, for instance, Delta, I believe they will check the bags through to your ultimate destination. And you would clear customs there.
If you change airlines, I'm pretty certain you'll have to claim your bags, go through customs (in Atlanta), be-check your bags with the new airline, and be on your merry way.
45 minutes is cutting it close. In Atlanta, the International terminal is the one farthest away. I assume you will disembark at Terminal E and may have to go all the way to Terminal A. Than, there's the issue of customs as discussed above.
You may find some useful info at www.atlanta-airport.com.
Good luck and welcome to the US.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt response Jack. We're actually flying into Orlando, staying in Florida for a week and then want to visit friends in Dayton for Thanksgiving. We have to fly home from Orlando. We were going to drive up but it's a long way in the time we have available. We're looking at a Delta flight that has the 45 minute layover in Atlanta. The reason we're a bit nervous is that we have entered the US via Atlanta before and know what a big airport it is.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 09:08 AM

Since you will have cleared Customs in Orlando, that won't be a factor.

Also, most (but not all) of Delta's flights depart from Terminal A. So, 45 minutes should be PLENTY of time, barring any weather delays. Even if you have to go to another terminal (which would probably be either T or B) you will have plenty of time.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 10:40 AM

Hi. The Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport is a huge place, but I find it orderly, if crowded. First if you are on Delta all the way, your baggage will be checked through.
Delta is the largest carrier in and out of Atlanta, so it has several flight concourses or terminals lettered A through E, with a special T terminal closer to baggage claim that even Terminal A.

All of the terminals are connected by a straight line tunnel that runs from the main concourse under the middle of the lettered Terminals. A subway train shuttles continually from the main concourse to the farthest one and back again. Escalators lead up from the subway tunnel to each main floor. The flight concourses are each a mini, self contained airport.

If you have a physical disability such as a sprained ankle, or if you are tight on time, Delta will provide assistance in the form of a passenger cart and/or wheel chair with a driver if you let them know in advance.

Hopefully your connecting flight will be in the same area as your arriving flight.

I think 45 minutes will be long enough, but you may need to hurry depending how far away the next gate happens to be.

I have not been through Heathrow lately, but I find Atlanta's airport, despite its size and passenger volume, to be less confusing than CDG in Paris and, in some respects, it is more logically arranged than even Munich's Strauss airport.

The Dayton airport by contrast is much smaller and easier to use because the passenger volumn is much less.

Have a good trip.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 11:18 AM
iceeu2

You should not have any problems with a 45 minute connection in Atlanta as long as the flights are on time. Now, here is your problem. Thanksgiving is going to be extremely and costly. I have been checking flights from Atlanta to Myrtle Beach, and have found that Thanksgiving morning still has the most availability and least price. Don't know which day would be the least coming back, since I'm only going one way.

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 11:46 AM

Atlanta is a very well laid out airport and one of Delta largest hubs. You shouldn't have a problem as long as your flight into Atlanta is on time. I have caught many flights with even a shorter layover. To save some time ask for one of the seats up front on the flight into Atlanta so you will be one of the first off.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - that puts my mind at rest a lot.