Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Assuming I drive from Denver to Albuquerque...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over a 3 day/night span of time - what would be the must-sees along the way (or a reasonable detour off the path)? Which towns would be best-bets for overnight stays along that route? (views, things to see and do, historical sights...)

I know I want to visit Boulder and I've got a friend in Frisco so that area is a must-visit. My last night before arrival in Albuquerque I may overnight in Santa Fe to spend some more time there.

thanks!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 03:50 PM

I am assuming {I know} that you realize this is about a 6 hour drive??

I honestly can't think of must see's along the way until you get to Santa Fe.

Maybe stop in Colorado Springs and see Air Force Academy?

I guess when I drive this route, I just want to get from ABQ to Denver or vice versa.
Debi
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Boulder is northwest of Denver and you can easily pop up there and see the 16th street mall and look at the Flatirons, if it isn't too smoggy, all in only a couple hours. Is there something(s) you particularly want to see there?

Frisco is a couple hours west of Denver on I-70. If you go there, then you might as well take US24 then US285 down through the mountains to Santa Fe. Maybe one night in Frisco and the second night in Alamosa with Santa Fe being your third night.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 03:57 PM

Just an initial thought: I25 is the direct route to Albuquerque - about 10 hour drive straight south. Boulder is about an hour west of Denver and you would have to back track to I25 to head south. Frisco is several hours west of Denver (I70) and set in a beautiful part of the Rocky Mountains (near Breckenridge which is a must see if you do this), but you would have to back track to Denver to pick up I25
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Are you asking for a three day routing to Alb.. from Denver since it is only six hous or so down I-25?
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Debi - I do know!

I just figured I could make 3 days of it, see things along the way, and then head to ABQ. If going off the direct route (not by 5 hours, but an hour or so) takes me to some cool things, I'll check it out.

The two days prior to this I'll be visiting friends in Fort Collins so when I leave I'll likely head to Boulder (if we haven't already done that) and then keep heading south.

Heck, I could spend two days in one area hiking and taking photos and then just hoof it down to ABQ. Not sure yet - I just came up with this idea so I haven't researched it yet.

What do you think of the Turquoise Trail - will I take some stunning photos there?
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Wow, a lot of replies in such a short time, thanks!

OK, full disclosure, this is what I am currently thinking:

Fly into Denver, head to Boulder for an overnight sleep. My friends live in Fort Collins but since I'll likely arrive late that first night I'll see them the next morning. Two nights with them then head south. If I didn't get to spend time in Boulder, I'll visit then.

My Frisco friend told me he'd meet up with me wherever I choose but I do hear it's gorgeous there so maybe an overnight there. (or if it's the best place to hang out for a few days, I could stay there and visit the towns and mountaints around there).

If I only stay one night, I've got two more days/nights before I arrive in ABQ.

Photography rates high on my list of things to do so I'll be seeking out opportunities to take some great photos too.

thanks again!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Hi, again. Sorry, I'm new at this and accidentally hit the send button before I was done.

What I was going to say was that if you do end up near Frisco and didn't want to back track, then you can wind your way south and eventually back towards Sante Fe, etc. but be sure to get reservations (Alamosa as suggested) because lodging gets sparce down there especially with summer travellers in abundance. Also, as I read the replies so far, I am probably wrong about the distance to Albuqueque. I'm in Fort Collins and it can take awhile getting through Denver. So 7-8 from Denver more accurate. Have fun!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Got ya! This is not on the route, but it is worth going to see and is great for photos:

Tent Rocks -
http://www.nm.blm.gov/recreation/alb...sha_katuwe.htm

The Turquoise Trail runs basically from Santa Fe to ABQ. It is a nice drive and the town of Madrid [pronounced MAD -rid, not MA drid like in Spain] is funky and would yield some interesting photos as well. On the way into ABQ, be sure to drive up Sandia Peak and take some spectacular photos of ABQ and beyond.

FYI smithkathy - it is about 6 hours or so [depending on traffic in Denver area] down I 25 from Denver to ABQ, not 10.

Debi
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 05:29 AM

If you're going the scenic route from Friso--here are some suggestions.

Go west from Frisco on I-70 to a few miles and exit onto Highway 91/24--toward Leadville. South of Leadville you will drive past Mt.Elbert and Mt. Massive--the two highest mountains in Colorado. South of Leadville,and just south of Buena Vista, the highway becomes highway 285. If you want to visit an almost ghost town, leave 285 at Nathrop. That road takes you right by the flank of Mt. Princeton's Chalk Cliffs back to the ghost town of St. Elmo. Also at the base of Mt. Princeton is Mt Princeton Hot Springs Lodge--they have a restaurant and rooms and hot springs pools right along Chalk Creek. http://www.mtprinceton.com/

Continuing on south on highway 285 you will go through the San Luis Valley--the oldest settled area of Colorado. It is an agricultural valley surrounded by the peaks of the Rockies. If you leave highway 285 at Mosca, you can visit the Great Sand Dunes National Park. Then continue on highway 285 through Alamosa into New Mexico. Take highway 64 into Taos. Visit the Taos Plaza, Taos Pueblo. Then either take the high road to Santa Fe. Or take the highway along the Rio Grande through Espanola to Santa Fe. You could spend one night in Alamosa and one night in Taos.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:57 AM

I think Martym has the best idea. The route through Leadville to Salida follows along the many 14,000-footers, the Collegiate Peaks. Then from Salida on down to N.M., you drive along the wonderful Sangre de Cristo mountains, which stretch all the way to Santa Fe. A great drive partly following the Arkansas River.

The Great Sand Dunes can be seen from the highway, not worth a stop unless you need to walk in sand.

I usually stay in Salida, a nice ranch town with plenty of motels. I have also driven from Dillon to S.F. in a day. The San Luis Valley route is through old Spanish villages and ranchland.

This is a good way to see some Colorado mountains. I-70 to Frisco is very scenic. The route on I-25, in my opinion, is pretty boring. It is out on the prairie with far-away views of the Front Range through brown smog. I felt Colorado Springs was all traffic and tourists.

I would spend my extra time in Santa Fe, not Taos. S.F. is wonderful and so is the journey to get there.

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the information!

This will be early October by the way, so I know I may have issues with snow (potentially).
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

I found a really helpful website, I thought I';d post it here in case anyone else found it useful too.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/index.shtml
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM

I drove this route last year in early Oct. and it had snowed in the mountains and a little was on the ground (not on road) in Leadville and Fremont Pass. It is dry out there and the sun is strong and it disappears quickly. The mountains were beautiful.

Nice website.

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Thanks for posting that website - it looks good.

Are you coming for Balloon Fiesta again?

Lee Ann