Search

Asking for Texas recs for a friend.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asking for Texas recs for a friend.

Hey there, Texas fodorites,
My friend and her husband are going to be in Austin and San Antonio in the first two weeks of November and I told her I knew all the best people who knew all the best places.

Can you pass along your recommendations for restaurants, music and maybe special events?

Thanks in advance.
gtg
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 04:00 PM
J62

What are their likes and dislikes? How old are they? Just turned 21 or approaching 90? Are they active and love the outdoors, or are they belly up to the bar/couch potato folks?

Are they adventurous eaters, or is it ribs n beans, or maybe they're vegan?

Your intentions are good, goddesstogo. I'm more than happy to help out an individual who is seeking advice for themselves, but generally speaking I'm more averse to giving advice to a 3rd party to just pass on, where chances are good it'll end up in the circular trash bin.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 08:11 PM

I'll make a few suggestions for San Antonio. Food wise, if they enjoy Mexican and/or TexMex try Rosario's, Paloma Blanca, La Fonda on Main (only the one on Main, not others with similar names.) For one of the best meals in SA the Lodge in Castle Hills is a sure bet (a bit away from downtown but worth it for a great evening - especially recommend the tasting menu with wine pairings.)

If they are into museums, the SA Museum of Art houses the Rockefeller collection of precolumbian art and has some great architecture (housed in a converted brewery) and the McNay Art Institute boasts an eclectic collection in a glorious setting in the mansion which was the residence of is namesake. The Mission Trail is great. Easiest with a car but there are also bus tours. Downtown attractions are easily reached using the trolley or walking - Alamo, King William district, El Mercado (Mexican market - like a visit to a border town without the gunshots), Spanish Governor's Palace, Main Plaza and San Fernando cathedral, Institute of Texan Cultures, La Villita.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

How weird. I thought I'd posted a response but I guess I forgot to hit submit.

Thanks so much, Seamus. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I've forwarded it to them already.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM

Hi gtg! I join with Seamus in recommending Rosario's; it's our favorite. I agree with his other recs too except I'd go to La Fogata over La Fonda on Main. For a change from Tex Mex, Schilo's Deli is good (if they're staying downtown; wouldn't go otherwise)

http://sanantonio.citysearch.com/pro...icatessen.html

or Paesano's (several locations-- http://prg-sa.com/)

EZ's is a good option (in SA or Austin) if they just want something quick:

http://www.ezsrestaurants.com/Locati...6/Default.aspx

Both San Antonio and Austin have Chuy's restaurants. I like Trudy's in Austin. There's a restaurant overlooking Lake Travis called Oasis that has nice views and should be comfortable in Nov:

http://www.oasis-austin.com/

People really like it but the food is average to good and the view excellent.

There's a place called Hula Hut:

http://www.hulahut.com/

If you still have my email, feel free to give it to them. I don't check this often enough.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 03:19 PM

Hey, GTG! How is ya?

You also might want to suggest they visit a little place called "The Alamo".

We stayed at the Doubletree right on the Riverwalk and really enjoyed the views. Also, you can catch the Riverwalk boats right at the base of the hotel, fyi.
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

It's my Texas GTG! I was just thinking of you this morning. I haven't seen OO posting lately. Is she OK?

Thanks so much for the info -- I'll forward it to my pal.
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

Also, sarge, any further news on your Italy plans?
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM

She posts every now and then but not as often. The last update I saw, she is doing great and prognosis is very good!
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, fyb. I'm glad to hear she's doing well. If you're in touch, tell her I said howdy (do you still say howdy in Texas?)
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM

GTG- My Italy plans are still a go. I'm working on a job, but have decided that if I don't find one, I'm going for 90 days to pound the pavement. Thinking mid-Feb to mid-May. I'll update on another thread when I've got firm plans. THanks for asking!
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:06 PM

Boudro's in San Antonio is very good. We like their tableside guacamole and prickly pear margaritas. Be sure to have them take on of the little boat/barge tours that goes around the river. Guenther House is a good spot for breakfast - it's in the beautiful King William historic district. In Austin, I'll second the Oasis for its beautiful views of the lake. The Salt Lick nearby in Driftwood has great BBQ and a very Texas vibe. Agree that Chuy's is always fun, and they have good margaritas.
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

sarge --- good for you. Keep plugging away at it. And for inspiration, read Under The Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes. I'm on my 3rd or 4th reading of it now, just because it's here in the apartment, and it will make you long for Italy and it will make you hungry!

volcanogirl, many thanks. I'll forward to them now.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:29 AM

Howdy goddess!
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Howdy, ma'am! (picture me touching the brim of my cowboy hat)

Wurstfest seems right up their alley! They're schnitzel kind of folks. To say nothing of beer! I'd love to see the husband in lederhosen. He looks a little like ZZTopp so that would be interesting.

Thanks!
gtg
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 08:12 PM

Of course, Wurstfest! Potato pancakes! I'm drooling already.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 04:20 AM

Mmm, sausage on a stick!
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 08:06 PM

Hi, Might be a little too late for this trip, but I second the recommendation for Boudros in SA, especially if they can sit on the patio...

October/November is perfect in Texas (usually). In Austin, I would recommend Star seeds cafe for breakfast, Eastside cafe for brunch, food trailers on S Lamar for lunch and Uchi or wink for dinner. Austin is also a BIG happy hour town...lots of the places on West 6th street have great happy hours and are fun for people watching in the late afternoon/early evening. It's also close to the flagship Whole Foods which has a nice roof top eating area and lots of shopping, including Waterloo Records, which often has great live music. I would also recommend a walk around Laguna Gloria- beautiful area around the lake with peacocks and a art museum on the grounds! May field park is also nice. And of course, if there are there the first week of any month, they should check out South first street on the first Thursday of the month- wonderful free live music and vendors- many of the little local shops stay open late and stock free kegs! Many happy travels!
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Not at all too late, kayak, and thanks -- these sound like great recs!
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Here is the calendar for Gruene Hall in November:

http://www.gruenehall.com/nov2010.html

The weather is absolutely fabulous right now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -