Ashville/Hendersonville get-a-way

Old Nov 25th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Ashville/Hendersonville get-a-way

One in our group is suggesting a house/condo/cabin to contribute to the consortium. He is focused on the Ashville/ Hendersonville area in N. Carolina. We stayed a few nites at the Baltimore a few years ago, but did not take the time to look around much off the grounds.

Any ideas on areas that would be good for a get-a-way for 1 to 3 months at a time. We would share the property with others in the group. (Swap basis). Other properties in the group are a flat in London, a farmhouse outside Paris , an appartment in NYC and a villa in Rome.

Also, we’ll Likely meet there sometime in the next few months to see how we like it, so ideas on restaurants, pubs, wine bars wold be welcome.
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Biltmore, not Baltimore! Damn spellcheck
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 12:36 AM

Compared to the alternatives you list, Asheville does not have much to offer except nature.
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

The goal is to have at least one alternative in the US
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 05:16 AM

Why is he focused on that area? It's pretty to those of us who live here, but as noted, not on the same playing field as a LOT of other places.
If he wants "mountains", there is Denver.
Do you want "warm" for months, there is Charleston (which is more interesting than maybe an Orlando).

Not sure I "get" this.
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

This started with a group of us who were expats, and we would trade time in our homes when we were on annual leave or otherwise not occuping the homes. We are all retired now, (I attain that status next March)

I never sold my flat in London, and others have bought homes in places they enjoy and/or kept the properties after repatriation. We have been trading time for years and like the practice. One of the group must like the area and has invited us to visit to see if it’s a site we would use.

Earlier this month we checked out the area near Becket, MA.

THe purpose of my request is just to get some information about the area from those who live nearby that is not easy to get from articles or single visits
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 07:26 AM

Asheville is a charming small town with good food and a number of artists/artisans. It is a good area if you want not too strenuous hiking, and is well worth seeing in the spring and fall. It is, obviously, not close to the same category as London or Paris, but the question is whether you want city or country.
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 11:03 AM

It is served by a small airport between Asheville and Hendersonville. It is almost a gateway to the Great Smokey mountain Park and is between the two parts of the Pisgah Forest.
It is 2 hours from Charlotte and 2 hours from Knoxville--probably 3 from Atlanta.
It has become very popular for retirees and as said, has a lot of artisans and nice restaurants.
There are some ski areas within a couple of hours for southern style skiing (crowded slopes, icy conditions, iffy season).
It is about 4 hours to the NC and SC beaches.
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 12:06 PM

In the lower mountains it is cooler in summer and winters are not severe.
I wonder if someone can liken it to any European place.
But my understanding of these people is that they are Americans.
I'm still mystified by Asheville, as cute and nice as it is.
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Pubs? Wineries?
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

I'm still mystified by Asheville, as cute and nice as it is.
_____

Are you telling me that no one lives or visits there?
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 01:50 PM

I would consider Santa Fe or Taos as an alternative to Asheville.
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 03:01 PM

"Are you telling me that no one lives or visits there?"

Of course not. It is very popular with Floridians escaping heat and humidity in the summer. It is a highly rated retirement destination. Lots of people visit, especially in the spring (wildflowers) and the fall (leaves). But it is in no way comparable to other places on your list.

As I said, do you want another big city, or somewhere that is more of a country destination.
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

I am failing to communicate! The buyer is not me, I own the flat in London. All of us spent either all or a significant part of our careers outside the US so what might otherwise seem “exotic”, for us, is just where we worked.

We have been swapping places on and off for probably 30years with group members dropping in and out from time to time

I suspect that the buyer has an eye to full time living there at some point, but I do not make grilling his motives a habit.

I am just asking for ideas on the area, things to do while we are there looking at it. We’ll make a decision on whether it fits in the “consortium” after we have visited in the spring.

We looked at a cabin in Massachusetts, but while I liked it, two couples did see that as a fit.
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 04:05 PM

Eat. Drink. Shop. Hike. Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway. Visit Cherokee (ugh). Visit Smoky Mountain National Park and hike some more. You already visited Biltmore. Hang out at the Grove Park Inn.

This is the official tourism site for Hendersonville county:

http://www.visithendersonvillenc.org/

This says it's the official site for Asheville:

https://www.exploreasheville.com
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 04:11 AM

Yes, I GOT it. You aren't the buyer. One guy likes it. We've told you a lot about it. We all love Asheville. We're trying to tell you about it.
As for "mystified"--yes--but if the guy wants to retire there, then not mystified.
I would be less mystified by Massachusetts and its proximity to major cities. etc.
Or Santa Fe with its own panache.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 05:22 AM

Just to add ==you are talking about staying somewhere for 1-3 months at a time, I think. That is the concern to me that would be the sticking point of Asheville.
In Massachusetts I could drive to NYC or Boston easily and often if things were going on. That would be important at least to me.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 11:36 AM

Perhaps look at Dukey's thread on moving as Asheville is one of the places he's considering so there are quite a few posts about amenities.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

This one?

https://www.fodors.com/community/fod...ing-a-move.cfm

Thanks . . good info!
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 06:45 PM

We enjoyed our several days and nights in Asheville. We had also visited Biltmore in the past but this last time around we concentrated on the city itself.

Wonderful views from some of the residential areas and some interesting dining venues, too.

The place does not offer the same sorts of things which larger cities do but those cities also do not offer the surroundings that Asheville offers either.

I suppose there are those who would think it is a real backwater while others like the slower pace.

For several reasons we have ruled it out as a place to move but I would certainly visit again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO