Search

Asheville

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asheville

I'm considering coming down to Asheville at the end of May for about 2 weeks. I've never been to that part of the counrty and I know nothing about it. I am interested in hiking, water activities, local food (especially local food!). I thought that staying in a hostel for a few nights in Asheville, then heading to Linville(?) for a few days for nature, then back to Asheville sounded like a good plan. I will have a erntal car, does anybody have any suggestions as far as other towns/attractions to check out after I go hiking? What about where to stay near Linville Falls? I'll be traveling alone, and Dollywood-type attractions aren't my thing. Inexpensive is a huge plus.
Thanks!!
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 03:31 AM

Don't know that Asheville or environs will have a hostel. Hiking in the Linville Gorge is very lovely-and very strenuous.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:23 AM

Actually, I understand Asheville has two hostels.

I'm sure LInvile is nice, but certainly not necessary to drive more than a few miles outside of Asheville to get all the nature (wilderness in Pisgah nat'l frest) you would want.

There are LOTS and LOTS of posts about Asheville. Take a look!
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:30 AM

You will definitely not run out of any type of outdoor activities in the area. If you do search under Asheville and Blue Ridge Parkway here are a number of very recent posts with recommendations for hiking. If inexpensive places are your thing check local motels on Tunnel Rd. in Asheville. Molly2 who just returned from Asheville stayed in one of them and she paid, I think, $44.00 per night. Check her post. Do search here also under Brevard, Linville, Black Mountain, Great Smoky Mountains, Hendersonville, Saluda, Flat Rock. These are just a few places to take under consideration. You may also find inexpensive accommodations near the airport. I am not sure whether they are listed under Asheville or Fletcher. The Asheville airport is actually located in Fletcher, NC and very convenient to hiking and the Arboretum. The Arboretum has no admission fee on Tuesdays and has many great hiking trails. Ask more questions and you will find that North Carolinians who lives in the area and Litespeed Chick who is from SC are always ready to help and post their recommendations and opinions. I personally suggest visiting Saluda's Purple Onion for dinner while there is a band playing. It is as local as it gets. Purple Onion has its website, check it out. There is a very nice waterfall in Saluda but you need to pay admission of $3.00 if I recall correctly. Carl Sandburg's Home in Flat Rock near Hendersonville has a nice hiking trails and the one to Glassy Mountain has great view. There is no admission to hike but if you want to visit the house you need to pay $5.00 for the tour.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:20 PM

I own a hostel in Asheville, and I recomend staying at either or both hostels, depending on what you want to do. I own the ArtHaus, and we are downtown, generally quiet, and provide a make your own breakfast. Our friends in West Asheville are Bon Paul and Shark'ys, and they specialize in going hiking, group dinners,and other group activities. Both hostels have great locations, and you can find more information, and make a reservation or call from: http://www.avlhostel.com or: http://www.ashevillehostel.com this is the only site where you can see all the availability for both hostels in one place.