Search

Grand Canyon - Three hour Mule ride

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2015, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon - Three hour Mule ride

Hi guys,
We will be making a trip to Grand Canyon in december. It's our first time and I can't wait. We are staying there for two nights. Is going for the Canyon Vistas Mule ride ( 3 hr along the rim) worth it ? I see some fabulous pictures from the phantom ranch 2 day mule ride but I am too chicken to handle that along with our 13 year old.

I like the tamer version of the 3 hr ride. But is it really worth spending half day on since our stay at GC is only for 2 days ? Would love to hear thoughts from others who have taken this ride.

Thanks !
Old Nov 14th, 2015, 06:42 PM

Are reservations still available?
Old Nov 14th, 2015, 07:47 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
We did it years ago and it was great!
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 03:59 AM
J62

If your goal is a mule ride then by all means to ahead. If your goal is the views, then personally I would just walk, bike, drive or take the shuttle buses to the rim lookout points at my own leisure and rear end comfort.
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 11:59 AM

>>But is it really worth spending half day on since our stay at GC is only for 2 days ?
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 12:44 PM

You may have done a mule ride years ago, but you didn't do this one
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 07:31 PM

I would hike it or do something similar. Unless being on mule/horseback is the big draw. Having backpacked into the Grand Canyon at least 5 times from the south and north rims, I can assure you that I would not have wanted to be any farther from the ground than I was on my own 2 feet when it came to looking down over some of those switch backs!! The mules are truly sure footed. But I just felt better with my feet on the ground--and this is coming from someone who competed in show jumping, cross country etc.
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 08:08 PM

Decades ago the cover of the National Geographic magazine was a photo of the Grand Canyon taken from between the ears of a mule. I was fascinated. I read they are trained to back their butts up against the wall when the mule train came to a stop. I read about the hooves hanging out in air on the switchbacks. I couldn't wait to take the trip myself. I had to wait decades; a bit longer until the youngest kiddo met the minimum age and height requirements. It was a blast.

So for me, the mule ride WAS the goal. We did the walks along the rim, the drives along the rim (no shuttle) and short walks from the rim.

The ride we took was the down to Indian Gardens and back up. Now they offer the Canyon Vista Ride as the day ride. Maybe all the way to Phantom Ranch one day, but the shorter ride was great for us.

2 days is an ample time to enjoy the South Rim. A 3 hour ride would be a fun adventure and IMO a good way to spend that time.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I will be calling Xanterra to check the availability for Canyon Vistas Mule ride soon. I hear the chances of getting the 3 hr ride during winter is easy, will have to see how true that is.

@Starrs - I am in the same boat. I am an artist who loves to paint landscapes. I am absolutely fascinated looking at the mule riders photos particularly the Phantom Ranch ones. I understand I may not get the same experience as that ride on this 3 hour one, yet I am inclined to try it.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 01:45 AM

You will love experiencing the Grand Canyon and I think you'll enjoy the mule ride too.

I saw the GC for the first time in winter. We were driving in as the snow started to fall. Talk about gorgeous! The layers were highlighted by snowfall. It looked like powdered sugar on exposed layers of cake. It's beautiful with or without snow, but that was a real treat - especially on the first visit.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 08:38 PM

We did the mule ride from Bright Angel to bottom, stayed at Phantom, and back up Kaibab. Try that option. I'm not sure they allow 13-year old children. And there is a weight limit.

This is the most memorable event of our many travels to GC - and that includes a 16-day hiking/small raft/hiking down the river.

Stanton/Hyde height comment is valid: 1) when you add a mule's height to yours, elevation is easily 10+_feet. 2) Add constant swaying. 3) Mules favor walking at the rim edge of the trail.
Exciting !

Vaga
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Vaga. With only 2 nights @GC, we won't be able to do the phantom ranch ride. We are just interested in 3 hour Canyon Vistas ride. Weight limit and other requirements should be ok based on what I saw from their website.
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 08:45 AM

Hope you will post a report if you do the ride!
Old Nov 27th, 2015, 03:38 PM

RVvagabond - I am so glad that you enjoyed your mule ride starting at Bright Angel Lodge to bottom. DH and I will be 62 yrs. old when we make this trek the end of Oct. Reservations are a year out for this two day excursion. We are staying at the El Tovar Hotel the day we get back up the canyon. Am thinking my body may need several hrs. to recover from the long ride!
Old Nov 30th, 2015, 07:09 AM

Dyer,
The best thing you can do to recover from your mule ride is to get up and walk around.
This will be one of the first things they will tell you when you get to Phantom Ranch too. Do NOT go to your cabin and lay on the bed. Get up and move around, walk around, take in the sights and it will loosen up those stuff muscles in your knees, ankles and legs.
Giddyup
Old Nov 30th, 2015, 07:10 AM

That was meant to be "stiff" muscles, not stuff muscles. (I'm still thinking of turkey and "stuff"ing) !!!