Search

Arkansas for a family of 4 (toddlers) for the long thanksgiving weekend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arkansas for a family of 4 (toddlers) for the long thanksgiving weekend

Hi All.

I want to get out of Houston! I'm a little tired of our usual haunts (Austin, San Antonio, Fredericksburg) and want to see some elevation! Was thinking of driving up to Arkansas but know nothing about the area. I looked at maybe getting a cabin somewhere on the Quoachita mountain? What is there to do with kiddos? Is there any kayaking available during that time of year (the long thanksgiving weekend)? I have 3 1/2 year old twin boys. Was thinking of coming in on the 27th and staying for 4 nights. Any recommendations? We like hiking as well (not huge ones with the boys) and would like to try them on horseback riding - are there trails? Would like to stay in a cabin, at least part of the time. Is it also a good idea to just get a hotel in Hot Springs and do day adventures from there?

Thanks everyone. ANY advise will be appreciated.

p.s. We can also load our bikes if there are trails.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 03:40 PM

www.buffaloriver.com for your cabin
Likely the kayaking would not be available at that time.

If it has rained. Glory Hole Falls, Lost Valley are 2 easy very good hikes for some outstanding waterfalls(I'm somewhat of a waterfall nut and have seen most of the major falls in the US)

If it hasn't been raining. Hawksbill Crag(aka Whitaker Point), Goat/Bluff Trail(this one is not exactly easy as it is 6 miles), Pedestal Rocks.

These hikes all have some pretty serious dropoffs, so keep that in mind if your hiking with a Todler. I can tell you that you will come back. The Upper Buffalo area is spectacular and an undiscovered gem. I would rate it higher than Big Bend, IMOP.

Another good option is Petit Jean and Mount Nebo State Parks.
I hesitate to recommend Mount Magazine, but there is a fairly new lodge there with a pool. Magazine and Petit Jean both will serve a Thanksgiving meal. Food at Petit Jean isn't that great, IMOP.

Consider spending 2 or 3 hours in Crystal Bridges Museum.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 03:41 PM

Todler--I should have said with 3 year olds.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

thanks spiro. your advice of portland area was outstanding in the past. yes, I should stop calling them toddlers as they run faster than me these days!

So I had problems finding any availability for cabins. I ended up having to get a hotel in Hot Spings - I know, I read that it's your least favorite. Any suggestions for outdoorsy items from there? I plan o hit Petit Jean and the lakes nearby hotsprings. Anything else? It looks like hot springs has a main st with shopping and restaurants. How's the town itself like?
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

also, i wanted to keep the driving close to hot springs (that 6+ hrs from houston) and day trips from hot springs at a minimum as well. Thanks all!
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 07:46 AM

I think Hot Springs is a pretty good choice, given the age of your children. I live in Hot Springs Village, about 15 miles north of HS. Instead of a hotel, you might want to rent a vacation home here in the Village. The prices are reasonable, the Village is beautiful and there is a playground for the children at the west end. Walmart and Walgreens are just outside the west gate, as well as many restaurants.

Things to do: hikes in the Ouachita National Forest (pronounced wa'-sha-ta; take hikes, rent a pontoon boat or take the eagle watch tour at Lake Ouachita State Park (8 miles north on Lake Ouachita); ride the "ducks" into Lake Hamilton; go downtown to see the old bathhouses that are actually Hot Springs National Park; go to Garvin Woodland Gardens (which will actually be a nice hike for the children and sometimes they have their miniature trains running); drive about 1 hour north to Petit Jean State Park; go to the alligator farm. . . I think you'll find enough to do.

Hot Springs is an artist town so there are lots of quality galleries. For Thanksgiving dinner,the Arlington Hotel does a nice buffet also but a little stuffy. Friends of ours have done the buffet at Oaklawn Jockey Club (the horse track) but I don't know anything about it. In the Village, the Thanksgiving buffet at Tanner's at Granada Golf Course is very good.

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/lakeouachita/events/
http://www.hsvrentals.com/ (Century 21 for HSV rentals)
http://www.nps.gov/hosp/index.htm
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 11:05 AM

I would suggest checking Iron Mountain Lodge on DeGray Lake for cabins. I have stayed at nearby DeGray Lake Resort during Thanksgiving and they have so many family activities during the Thanksgiving holiday time, including horseback riding, owl prowls, and eagle watching tours. It's only about 30 minutes further into Hot Springs from there.

http://www.iron-mountain.com/2014/7/...o5gjoqxa9kwg8g

http://www.degray.com/events_calendar/default.aspx

Garvan Woodland Gardens is definitely a DON'T MISS in my humble opinion. The Children's Adventure Garden is fantastic, as is the rest of the garden. We went during the afternoon to enjoy the regular garden, and then stayed for darkness to enjoy the spectacular lights of their Holiday Lights exhibit. Truly beautiful.
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank yoi! great suggestions! I checked out some areas for thanksgiving dinner. oakland says 21 and older only. any restaurants with a great setting that's work taking the kids for $12/child? my kids barely eat anything....
Old Nov 12th, 2014, 03:43 AM

If you decide to stay at Iron Mountain Lodge or DeGray Lake Resort, I would recommend the Shoreline Restaurant at the DeGray Lake Resort lodge. They serve a Thanksgiving meal and the floor to ceiling windows overlooking the lake give a great view.

I don't know about a Thanksgiving meal, but Fisherman's Wharf in Hot Springs is a good place for a meal during your stay. The kids will enjoy feeding the ducks on the lake and seeing the turtles come up while you wait for your food. The food is good too.

Cracker Barrel restaurants are usually open on Thanksgiving. There's one in Hot Springs and one in Arkadelphia which is near DeGray Lake.