Argonaut Hotel in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this going to be my best bet for a hotel at Fisher's Wharf? Any suggestions on some good restaurants within walking distance?
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 04:41 PM

Gary Danko's and Ana Mandara are two excellent restaurants near the Wharf. The rest are mostly tourist traps.

If you expand your walking distance to about 30 mins, there are plenty of excellent places in North Beach & Cow Hollow/Marina areas. You can take a cable car to lots of nice restaurants on Hyde St & Polk St.

To get a flavor of the "real" San Francisco, and discover why many consider it one of the best restaurant cities in the US, don't dine at the Wharf (except for the two places I mentioned)

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:13 PM

My husband and I spend several weekends in San Francisco each year. I would never stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area. It is tourist-tacky. I would look for something in the Union Square area,where you are within walking distance of Chinatown, North Beach and MOMA. If you insist on doing Fisherman's Wharf, take a cable car ride down there to visit it.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:25 PM

We LOVED the Argonaut. In addition to being a very nice place to stay, it's on the western edge of the "touristy" area, yet right next to the cable car turnaround with convenient bus/streetcar stops all about - and it's within a short walk of the boat and motorized cable car tours. It's actually a bit of a hike to Fisherman's Wharf.

It's also adjacent to The Cannery which is a fabulous place for shopping/dining. And, steps away is Ghiradelli Square.

I often join my husband in SF when he's there on business and we just love the Argonaut for the rooms, location, and fabulous service and ammentities.

We also love starting/ending some or all of our days at the Hyde Street Bistro (one block away) for breakfast and/or those awesome Irish coffees.

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:26 PM

PS - We've stayed all over the city. No matter where you stay, you'll want to go all over, and the Argonaut is very nicely located.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:56 PM

I have lived in the Bay Area for 50 years and would definitely expand my dining scope beyond Fisherman's Wharf. If you would like to sample the best we have to offer, try Myth. Warning, it is very difficult to secure a reservation.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:33 AM

djkbooks

I think you have some geography confused. The Argonaut is a short 1 block away from Fisherman's Wharf, and a very steep and hard-to-walk 10 or so blocks away from the Hyde St Bistro. Don't think they serve breakfast either. The Cable Car goes right past the Hyde St Bistro and that area is very lovely because the street is tree-lined.

The Buena Vista is the place 1 block away with the Irish Coffee.

Stu Dudley