Reload this Page >

Areas to avoid in the DFW metroplex

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Shauna

Please let me know which areas in or around Dallas/Ft. Worth would be unsafe for two women and a child. We're not looking for any nightlife, just sight-seeing during the day. We were planning on checking out many of the surrounding towns as well (including Granbury, Grapevine, Denton, possibly Hillsboro ...) Any particular neighborhoods or towns we should steer away from?

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Linda

There will be people who disagree with me but I don't think any area is unsafe during the day. I would try to get to Fair Park early enough to see the great art deco architecture and the Women's Museum (affiliated with Smithsonian) and be out of that area before dark. Of course, many would steer you out of my area (Oak Cliff) but I have never felt unsafe and we have some good restaurants. However, not many touristy areas except the theater where Oswald was shot and the Dallas Zoo (you can reach it on the DART Light Rail Red Line (Westmoreland).

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 07:40 AM
rrrrrr

all of dallas is good to avoid try houston

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Bill

Linda

A little history lesson: Oswald was shot in the basement of Dallas police headquarters. He was arrested in the theater. He shot a police officer, I believe J. D. Tippett, near the theater.

rrrr: Houston is laced with unhealthy, raw chemical fumes coming from plants along Buffalo "ditch" and as in all big cities "too many vehicles, not enough pavement".

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 12:48 PM
sister

I wouldn't go to Fair Park during the day. I"m one of the people that WILL disagree with Linda on that. I want to come back alive. Some parts of downtown are scary, too..Deep Ellum during the day creeps me out. Yuk!

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 07:54 PM
aceplace

Lots of children in Fair Park during the day... and adults, too. The Science Place Museum is good for kids, and it has a whole wing apparently for them.

Also, try the Women's Museum in Fair Park.

In general, avoid any areas that look dilappidated or unkempt or poor...

The Deep Ellum area during the day is not particularly dangerous because of the number of people around at all times. But it may not interest a child.

In general, use common sense and stay out of poor, desperate neighborhoods.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 10:04 AM
sandi

My son volunteers at the Museum of Natural History in Fair Park evey summer and on some weekends and spring break. If you haven't been there in the last 5 years than you don't know what you're talking about. It is as safe as anywhere else in the city. The "coming back alive" remark is ridiculous. Deep Ellum during the day, fo the most part, is deserted and closed since is mostly live music venues...what's creepy about a deserted street? So Shauna, being born and raised in Dallas, I am sure that the more touristy things you might want to do are not located in the higher crime area and you'll be just fine. Use your common sense. If something doesn't look or feel right, then get out of there.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:25 PM
FW Lover

I find that the Forth Worth side of DFW to be much friendlier than Dallas. The zoo, on University St. is one of the country's best, you can catch a good and inexpensive show a few blocks south of there at StageWest. Go north on University, and you'll find the botanical gardens - very, very lovely this time of year. Aside from Deep Ellum and the WestEnd, Dallas is just a financial center, a bank. Head west, hit Six Flags and Hurricane Harbor, catch a ballgame at the Ballpark, and then rest your head at Etta's Place on Sundance Square in FW. (I think it still exists.) Catch a brew on the square at Flying Saucer's and then check out the Stockyards. Overall, there are mores smiles the further west you go into DFW.
...as for the Houston knock. Yeah, it's humid and smoggy, but hell, at least they have a great theatre and museum scene and medical center. Dallas is stuck in the 80s: go there if you want to see great suburbia.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Dallaslover

Come to Dallas! Ignore FTWorth Lover, most people there have a chip on their shoulder. Yes FT Worth is nice if you like bubbas in pickup trucks. Dallas has a lot more culture. Just avoid South of the Trinity River.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:57 PM
aceplace

FWLover sounds like FWinferiorityComplex

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Christie

I'm also a native Dallasite, and I'll agree that almost all parts of the DFW metroplex are quite safe during the day. If you're here to do some sightseeing and shopping, you wouldn't be going to those areas anyway, so don't worry about it.

"Sister" sounds like one of those Planoites who thinks that anything south of 635 is frightening. That's perfectly fine with me. I won't bother to tell her that the best restaurants and nightlife in Dallas are all south of 635, and she won't be getting in my way by double-parking her Lexus on Greenville Avenue or in Deep Ellum.

If you are looking for cute shopping and eating places, be sure to add McKinney to your list. The town square there is just full of cute antique/crafty shops and places for lunch.

Some must-sees while you are in town:
Dallas World Aquarium in the West End
Fort Worth Stockyards (cattle drives at 11:00 and 4:30 daily)
Other good places to check out if you have time:
Dallas Museum of Art
JFK Museum (not really good for kids unless they are older)
West End for shopping and fun
Dallas Zoo (take the DART Red Line train, which your child will think is SO fun!)

Also check out www.guidelive.com before your trip, or buy a Friday Dallas Morning News and read the print version, so you'll know what special events will be going on while you are here. The outdoor festivals here in the spring can be GREAT!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:38 AM
Planoite

For Pete's sake Christie give it up with stereotyping every Planoite as a vapid Lexus driving Yuppie who never ventures out of their cocoon south of 635! That's ludicrous. Shall we reverse it? What about those White Rock Lakers driving their SUVs to Greenhill or wherever to get their kids a decent education and who can't look down their nose far enough to REALLY see anyone living north of 635 and/or west of Central? I'm surprised you even know McKinney exists, but do watch out. That's the next Yuppieville. You need an attitude adjustment girl.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:44 AM
hookem

Shauna,

Please do not listen to "sister's" recommendation to avoid Fair Park. You will be missing several very good museums and the great aforementioned art deco buildings.

With regards to Christie's comments about Planoites, unfortunately she is correct. I am reminded of the time we gave a pair of our Dallas Summer Musical tickets to a couple from Plano, as we were going to be out of town that weekend. When we returned and asked them how the show was, they sheepishly stated "Well, we really don't go down that way. You know, Central Expressway and Fair Park and all." I'm sure I could have found them at Stonebriar Centre on Saturday night living out their Plano/Frisco weekend mentality.

And aceplace, we discussed our views on the competition between Houstonians and Dallasites a few weeks ago on another thread. Take a look at "rrrrr's" comment - I rest my case!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 05:53 PM
aceplace

Hello, hookem

I looked at rrr's comment... something about Dallas sucks... well, I guess he doesn't like it. That's tough... I do like Dallas....

San Francisco has people just like Plano does... they don't come into the "city" to see shows... or for any other reason... looking at the other coast, my sister in Connecticut never goes into New York either... so your Planoite's attitude is not that uncommon.

Dallas is such a huge city that it has many things for many people... not all of them will please a particular individual... but most people will find something they like.

Dallas is very different in character from Houston, though, Dallas is more like a northeastern or European city in its urban design... go down to the West Village area around Lemmon and McKinney to see what I mean.

But more about your point... I'm not sure what you mean, actually... want to say more?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Christie

FYI, I DO live down in the White Rock Lake area, but there's no SUV in my garage, just my pickup truck. I don't have any kids to send to fancy private schools. I'm a connoisseur of fine beer, BBQ and Mexican food, and a frequent customer at more than one local antique shop.

Yes, there are "normal" people in Plano, but there are also a lot of folks who are just plain scared of the rest of Dallas and refuse to drive south of 635. My coworkers at my former job (in Plano) couldn't ever understand WHY I didn't want to live up there...until I invited them down to my house and they saw the mature trees, quiet neighborhoods, and the Lake. They shut up pretty quickly after that.

I firmly believe in "to each, his own," so I'll stay down at Greenville Avenue, and you can just stay at Park & Preston, and we'll never get in each other's way. Deal?

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:56 AM
Planoite

My gripe is with an entire area being characterized as rich snobs who have nothing to do with the rest of the Netroplex. Bum rap, and it just ain't so. Most of us work in Dallas, not Plano. I'm a volunteer with the symphony, Dallas, not Plano. We are part of a group of 4 neighborhood couples with season tickets to the Dallas Theater Center. I hit Fair Park every fall. We make treks to the Farmers Market and the zoo. 4th of July celebrations are at the Dallas symphony's site. We hit as many Cowboy games as we can and WE don't sit on our hands. I love White Rock Lake and the arboretum. I don't do Deep Ellum or the West End, only because it's not my scene, but I love wandering around McKinney/Routh St area shopping those shops and eating in those restaurants. I also love shopping in Snyder Plaza or Inwood and Lovers and guess what--I do it with my Plano neighbors OR my Dallas co-workers and we don't get there in our Lexuses because we don't own 'em. I KNOW your area is nice because I drive around there and admire it. I want YOU to know we couldn't afford a house in a good neighborhood any closer to town than Plano and that's why we live out there on treeless tracts of former cotton fields and drive a zillion miles every day in godawful traffic to get to and from work, with the rest of Plano, not because we are elitist separatists who don't want to mingle with the masses. Give it up you all!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:58 AM
Planoite

Make that Metroplex, not Netroplex.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:14 PM
Katherine

Anything North of LBJ is basically boring. If you want the true flavor of Dallas stay south of LBJ. Do not go to South Dallas (south of Trinity River).

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 09:17 PM
avoiditall

No, not really. For tourism Dallas is probably better than Houston, though neither is great.

If you like Art Deco architecture and science stuff for kids Fair Park is neat. It should be fine during the day, and hey I used to go drinking across the street most nights (and lived there too) and no harm came to me.
Dallas was more dangerous then, too.

Deep Ellum during the day is closed and not dangerous anyway (it wasn't bad in 1985 - it's Disneyland now).

Surrounding towns- avoid the whole list you mentioned. Visit Waxahachie for a pretty old N. Texas town with a nice courthouse (you've seen it in films). The towns around it are nice too (pretty much).

FW probably does have more to see and do downtown in some ways. It's worth a trip over from Dallas. Museum is good, carvan of dreams is nice for shows etc.

You can also marvel at the only decent public transportation in the second most populous state in American with Dallas' light rail.

Um, are you SURE you want to go to Dallas? How about Vancouver or something?

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 11:45 AM
bubble dweller

-
Shauna,
Check the online version of Dallas Morning News to see different activities around town. If you're coming in next few weeks, May is a great time for outdoor activities, various art festival. Or if you want to head a bit south, go to Scarborough Faire in Waxahachie.

www.guidelive.com

P.S. Please, please no more carping about Plano vs. White Rock, rich snobs, etc ... I got it way over the both of you living in Highland Park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -