Reload this Page >

Are you prepared for an emergency?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 11:56 AM
jetset1

I have seriously taken to heart all that others have gone through the past few months in various areas around the country, and world, for that matter.
Since I live in Alaska, we have earthquakes and possibly tsunami threats, depending on location.
I started stocking up on a weeks supply of non-perishable food, water, batteries, even gas for my car in case we do need to leave.
My dh works out of town and state often, so I want myself and two boys self sufficient in case anything should occur. I am wondering if the recent disasters made you more aware of being prepared for something.
Though things can't be predicted, it sure seems to me that the earth is giving us a wake-up call this year! J.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:03 PM
GoTravel

Yes, I keep a supply of batteries, flashlights, radios, water, and canned food.

The only problem is I can't get Mr.GoTravel to stop eating the canned food.

YUCK! Stop eating the canned oysters!!!

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my coworkers just completed a disaster training class and was told one of the most important things to have in your disaster pack is a whistle-you can whistle a lot longer and be heard farther by whistling than you can by yelling . I think its a great idea -
give one to everyone you know as a stocking stuffer this Christmas - I now have one in clear sight on top of my computer at work and will be buying one for my daughter
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:13 PM

I used to think I was, but I'm not sure anymore.

I have a couple of gallons of bottled water and canned food and flashlights, batteries, etc.

But it took rescuers 8 days to evacuate my family from New Orleans (and then it was a volunteer rescue group and not FEMA or the National Guard). I don't have 8 days of stuff stockpiled. I don't have the room for that much water.

I did go without power for 5 days after Hurricane Fran, but there was power at work, and my parents had their power restored within a day.

I'm also thinking what I really need in case of evacuation. Make sure to take a copy of the insurance policies and homeowner stuff. Grab the passport and birth certificate along with underwear and photos.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:14 PM

We're pretty well prepared.

After the Loma Prieta quake in '89, we were without services for about 5-7 days. Our camping gear served us pretty well, supplimented with water and non-perishable foods. Having a grill with plenty of charcoal was very handy as the meat in the freezer thawed out. We had a heck of a block party

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:36 PM
jetset1

I have a fireplace I can use for heat, but w/o the gas and electric, we'll be layering and using the deep freeze sleeping bags if necessary.
Had to laugh at my 16 yr. old. He said he'd exist on hot pockets. I pointed out that he'd better rig up a microwave that ran on batteries!
Gathering the paperwork and having them "grab ready" is important. My sister in Houston did that when they headed north after Rita, though their neighborhood wasn't affected.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Lots of good ideas--
What do you get for "non-perishable"
stuff ?
AND where do you store it..??
Several of my California friends put theirs in garage---however, house and garage were damaged and could not get to where it was stored!!!
some of our Christmas gifts will be"emergency" radio-flashlight--the type you can charge by winding a handle..
great thread...
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:02 PM

I am sort of prepared, but not completely I am sure. I try to keep about 24 bottles of water on hand (the small bottles, 9 fluid ozs I think) some canned food, do have a couple of sleeping bags, extra batteries, a Coleman lantern (camping style) a battery run radio, extra Advil. I am sure that I could do more.

I do have all my good jewelry in one jewelry box, and my paper work in two file drawers, files and statements etc.

Could I get to everything in case of a fire or earthquake? I hope so. But not absolutely sure. Guess it would depend on the emergency and how quickly it happened. Safe harbors to all.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:05 PM
JJ5

What kind of emergency?

We who do not flood or have hurricanes etc. - may have certain storage centers for the emergencies we do have. Some I've see people near me have are: snowed-in rooms, tornado shelters, other types of underground shelters. The people in the country take this a bit more seriously than city people do, IMHO. Most have their own wells and could heat with wood stoves, besides having provision for closing up parts of their houses. The Amish do this and have storage for months of meals at any one time.

My parents still had K-rations from WWII in their storage area. Honestly! And the real wool blankets that they issued then as well.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:12 PM

We have lost power on a number of occasions. Most definitely a problem during high winds since we live in an area with lots of trees (tomorrow we are expecting wind gusts of up to 60 miles/hour).

I think we are very well prepared when it comes to batteries, flashlights (my DH can't pass up a good flashlight, lol). We also have a battery operated radio and mini-tv (when the kids were younger that was a necessity).

We also have tons of bottled water.

I think the one area we are lacking is in canned food - we really don't eat a lot of canned food and only have a few items on the shelf in our pantry). I should really stock up. Luckily the last time we lost power for a couple of days, I didn't have much in the freezer

My biggest concern is if we should lose power during a severe rain storm and our sump pumps cannot run. It hasn't happened yet, but it could.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Its also a good idea to make copies of
insurance policies and important papers and mail to a relative in a different area of the country -
makes filing a claim much easier if all your papers are lost
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Hello seetheworld, or someone. I don't really eat canned food either but I have some in my kitchen in case of an earthquake etc. How long is canned food good for? A year? Two years? I buy it and toss it after about 18 months really not knowing whether it is good or not. Thank you.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Our church would like to be better prepared to help people post disaster (within a reasonable driving range of where we live, like Katrina was).

I would like to help the church get organized. We want to be ready to act immediately with groups to take supplies (when the 'affected area' is deemed accessible).
We also want to minister to the evacuees in our area, but we have a way to do that, through a coalition of churches (which we did).
Is anyone aware of any websites that can assist in developing a 'plan'?
We want to be able to fill in gaps of FEMA and Red Cross.

Belle
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Hi LoveItaly. I just checked the cans of Healthy Choice soup I bought (for when my youngest surprises me with a visit) and the expiration date says "January 2007". So that's about 18 months.

Usually there is an expiration date somewhere on the can - although they are sometimes hard to read. Anything that has any sign of rust on the can, no matter what the expiration date, goes right in the garbage.

Let's hope we don't need any of this stuff anytime soon. But it's good to be prepared
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:47 PM
JJ5

They sell dehydrated food for camping that lasts long periods of time, similar to army rations that can be stored for years and years.

It's expensive but it's easier to use than canned food is. You don't need utensils to open dehydrated meals.

Any kind of camping sterno stove is ideal for emergency times. I would never throw one of those out for that reason.

Most cans have the expiration date on them.

Actually, bottled water is far more important than food is. It is really good to have at least a couple of gallons of your own tap water handy too.

Hopefully you'll never have to use any of it.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:47 PM
stjohnbound

After losing it all, we now scan all our important paperwork and keep it both on the hard drive and on CD's. We keep one of the CD's in a safe deposit box.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Old Southern Belle-Try the Homeland Security website.

We have a generator, enough food, bottled water to last. Also have wood stockpiled for heat, couple of gallon cans of gasoline, first aid kit, portable radio, batteries etc. I also have a plug in telephone, not a cordless that relies on electricity and a wind up alarm clock. I also have some gallon jugs of water in case I have to flush my toilets. ;-) I have a place in my basement I keep stuff in.

Regarding papers, ours are in a small strong box in the safe that we can grab quickly, passports, insurance papers, social security cards, copies of medical cards etc.

I also have a couple of cases of wine, couple of bottles of Baileys, tequila and margarita mix.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 02:54 PM
jetset1

seetheworld~ yes, our pumps are dependent on electricity too.
Buckeyemom~ I like your last paragraph ~we are kindred souls,lol.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Hee,hee, Buckeyemom, I'll be headed to your house in the event of an emergency, LOL
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Hi all, Buckeymom, a few case of wine etc, something I should get, LOL. Good idea. And keep the wine opener handy!!!

Seetheworld, I just went through my kitchen cabinet. Most of the canned goods I have have some sort of numbers but nothing regarding dates (except of Anderson Pea Soup). But most of the cans look in excellent shape except about 6 had a tad of rust on the bottom. They went into the garbage immediately. I do know if any can is bulging the slightest bit that can should be tossed. But never thought to look at the bottom of the can..usually I never use my few canned goods..so thank you so much for your advice!

One thing I would mention to everyone, do have a nonelectric can opener.

Another bit of advice if you live in earthquake country. If an earthquake hits do fill up your bathtub with water. That water can be used for putting in the toilet tank for flushing the toilet.

Copies of pertinent financial papers..be it sending to someone out of the area or on CD's is a good idea, something I had not thought about.

And in case anyone has not thought or heard about this..do have an out of state telephone number that all can call if necessary. At least that is what the experts say. Our family knows to call our family in Portland OR if we cannot make phone calls within CA. May we always be sare!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -