Are You a Country Western Fan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Crabby Old Guy and I have recently traded in our bathing suits for cowboy boots. We have moved to Nashville, Tennessee and I honestly had no idea what to expect of this famous city but I did know one thing for sure and that was I LOVE COUNTRY MUSIC. Just the mere mention of Nashville and for most of us it immediately conjures up thoughts of the Grand Ole Opry, the Country Western Hall of Fame and the incredible voices that sing of love, heartache, patriotism and life in its simplest form. There is no doubt that America stands a little bit taller with pride for the music and legends that have entertained and left a legacy for all country singers yet to come.

For years I’ve listened to country music on my car radio and loved it but as soon as one of my teenagers got behind the wheel the radio station was changed and some contemporary, unintelligible screeching would be heard in stereophonic sound. Oh yes, the kids all went to their concerts but Mom never had the chance to experience a live country music show. That is until now.

Since The Crabby Old Guy and I are now “empty nesters” in a new town we decided to take advantage of all the wonderful sights and events that our new city has to offer. Let me be honest, it’s much easier on the check book purchasing two tickets instead of seven and just trying to get two adults and five teenagers to all agree on one music venue is enough to give a saint a migraine.

At Christmas time Nashville not only lights up with holiday lights but also holiday shows. My first choice of shows to see was the Pam Tillis Christmas Dinner Party which is presented in the Delta Ballroom of the spectacular Gaylord Opryland Resort and Hotel. The dinner is served family style with ten people seated at each table. In the center of the table is a large green lazy susan filled with delectable delights. This year’s menu featured lots of country cookin’ favorites including a fantastic corn soufflé with pork chops and baked chicken stuffed with a cranberry dressing. Usually, most people expect the food in a dinner show to be rather mediocre since they are going for the show and not the food but surprisingly, the food was quite good. The corn soufflé and black forest soufflé (which tasted like a soft brownie filled with cherries) were yummy and hopefully I will be able to get the recipes and publish them on my website to share with you all.
After the hour long dinner the show began and believe me Ms Tillis is an absolutely incredible entertainer. Her voice resonates throughout the room with a rich quality that can only come from her heart. Within minutes of listening to her sing you know she is giving you 110% of herself. If you’re not a fan of hers already it won’t take long to realize that her performance will remain with you long after the Christmas season has passed. She sang Christmas carols, songs from her new albums “Just in Time for Christmas” and “Rhinestoned” and did a “live feed” (via video tape) duet with her father, a Country legend, Mel Tillis. I think what amazed me most about her show was that once Pam started singing and chatting with the audience she quickly had us feeling like we were part of her family, sitting in her living room and enjoying her legendary talent. Included in her show were her “Swat Team” of elves, aged eight to eleven. Their sweet and talented performance put a smile on each guest’s face. The band was lively and quite talented. After a fantastic hour long show Ms Tillis stood tirelessly greeting guests, signing autographs and having pictures taken with anyone who requested them. She definitely gives star quality a new twinkle. The Savvy Old lady walked away with a new lilt in her step and a gratitude for having had the opportunity of hearing and meeting an amazing lady. You can read more about Pam at www.pamtillis.com and her father, Mel Tillis at www.meltillis.com.

After seeing the Pam Tillis show, I knew I had to go to the Grand Ole Opry. This legendary show is located during the holiday season at the Ryman Auditorium which is a National Historic Landmark. This venerable building housed the Grand Ole Opry from 1943 to 1974 in downtown Nashville. For those of you who have never been there, the show is usually composed of six or more entertainers who generally perform twenty minute stints. Even before the show began there was a feeling of anticipation and excitement in the air at the Ryman that is electric and truly contagious. The audience was definitely ready to be entertained by some of their favorite vocalists and they were not disappointed. The Crabby Old Guy and I were in for a real treat since the program included Bill Anderson, The Wrights, Mel McDaniel, The Grascals, The Whites, Blake Shelton, and featured Carrie Underwood. I had to chuckle because it didn’t take long before I found myself toe tapping to the music. The singers entertained us
with ballads, Christmas carols, Bluegrass music and some fabulous old country favorites. I can’t think of a nicer way to spend an evening and now that we live in Nashville I look forward to going to many more shows at The Grand Ole Opry House. Check out www.opry.com and www.ryman.com .

My last country music experience was seeing Mark Lowry. Mr. Lowry is a well known Christian comedian and gospel singer. He is probably best known for writing the lyrics to the beautifully moving Christmas classic “Mary Did You Know?” The evening was inspirational and entertaining and of course he sang “Mary Did You Know” to an appreciative and loyal audience. At the end of the show everyone was on their feet joining in song and celebrating the season of Christmas. Mr. Lowey’s website is www.marklowry.com .

Well The Savvy Old Lady couldn’t be happier living in this incredible City of Music and southern hospitality and she definitely looks forward to enjoying many more musical events In Nashville. I’ll make sure to keep you all informed and hope that one day you too can enjoy the “City of Song.”
Hugs,
The Savvy Old Lady©
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 03:43 AM

Yep . . I have always loved both kinds of music . . . Country and Western! !
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 06:02 AM

I like new country. I like it with more of a rock beat. We just saw Clint Black in concert and he was UNBELIEVABLE. At this point in time I think they are the only real musicians. You can buy a CD and have way more good songs than bad. Every other type of musician has 1 good song, 2 ok ones and the rest are garbage. And you never see anyone lip synching at an awards show. They show up with 7 musicians and blow it out. Can you believe that NYC does not even have a country station?
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 07:58 AM

Probably has something to do with the fact that no one in NYC likes country music.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 08:09 AM
dmlove

I wouldn't call myself a "knowledgeable" country music fan, but ever since we got XM radio in our cars, we listen to country and latin as much as we listen to rock and sports talk!

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM

It probably has more to do with Satellite Radio. I know at least 2 other people in NYC that like country music. I also heard Rascal Flatts is close to selling out the Garden so there might be 2 or 3 more.