Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Are the lines at Yosemite REALLY THAT LONG?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 1998, 09:54 AM
J. Raine

I'll be in Yosemite this August for a couple of days. I have one night's reservation inside the park, but was unable to get a second night. The second night I will be in Oakhurst.

Is traffic bad? Lines long? Are tours/buses overcrowded?

Any help would be appreciated!

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 06:04 AM
Polly

Cannot speak about August, but we were there in June of '93 and had absolutely no problems with lines or traffic. We arrived in the park (for 1 day only) around 9 AM and parked AT the door of the visitor's center. When we moved our car, we parked exactly where we wanted to park. Get there early...buy tickets for an early tram tour of the valley...then drive to the spots you want to re-visit. We did this, then drove to Glacier Point and stopped at Mariposa Grove on our way out. Wonderful one day park experience...but then, we are not into hiking and we take a picnic wherever we go...no lines for restaurants that way.

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 06:08 AM
YosemiteSam

I have beent to Yosemite a couple of times during July. August should be about the same. Yes there is a lot of traffic and long lines. However it wasn't that bad on the weekdays. We managed to see everything and had a good time. Be prepared for some crowds but is is not impossible on the weekdays.

Enjoy

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 01:22 PM
kam

You say you have one night in the park---arrive early the morning of that day and enjoy that day and the next day without lines. You might want to call one month(to the day) to see if you could get a second night in the park. Sometimes there are cancellations and you get lucky. I think August is probably the busiest month at Yosemite---we try to go in early June before some of the schools are out but when the weather is good.

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 06:25 AM
Louis Dameson

Within the last two weeks or so before your arrival date try calling every evening for a second night reservation. I have always been lucky. Otherwise, as already suggested, get there early in the morning and enjoy the park before your room is ready. It is seldom that your room will be ready before 3 pm however checkin when you arrive to confirm your room. Then checkout at noon the next day and enjoy the park until evening. That way you
get two full days. In Oakhurst, go to Erna's Elderberry House for dinner, reservations most likely needed phone 209-683-6800. This is one of the top restaurants in the state of California and the country setting is like france. The meal is fixed price and expensive ($43-$64). If you have never experienced a world class dinner in a world class setting you need to make the investment for once in your life. The Sunday brunch there is a bargain. Lunch is in the $15 to $20 range. Go if you can. You will not regret it. However, call first.

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 07:30 AM
Tam

We were in Yosemite on June 12th of this year. That was a friday and there were no crowds. It was delightful. I would try to avoid going on a weekend, however. Have lunch at the Ahwahnee Hotel. We had a wonderful view of Yosemite Falls from our table. The hotel has great ambiance. I agree that Erna's in Oakhurst is wonderful, but be expected to pay. My husband and I were given a $150 gift cerfiticate for dinner. With wine and dessert we still had $80 to pay. There is also a nice restaurant called Crystal Falls Inn a little north of Oakhurst at the Bass Lake turn-off with a wonderful setting by a creek with small waterfalls. Have a good time.....

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 09:52 AM
kam

Heard on the radio this weekend that although Yosemite Park is in good shape after El Nino, people are staying away this year. They were saying it's just perfect and not too crowded so you might be really lucky and find a 2nd night. Good luck.