Reload this Page >

Arctic side of Alaska

Search

Arctic side of Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 06:13 AM
Jean

Arctic side of Alaska

My husband and I were in Alaska for 3 weeks this June and loved it. We are planning another trip, probably next summer. In June we saw Denali, Anchorage, Homer and Seward. We are trying to decide if we should see some of Arctic when we go back. Has anyone been beyond Fairbanks to the Arctic side. Is the scenery much the same as toward Keni pen.? I know the roads are limited in this area. How much time should we allocate for this part of the state? Also, there is a dirt road close to Denali that goes to the other side of the state which is 134 miles long and comes in on the Richardson (I believe) Highway. Anyone ever travelled it and what's it like?

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 09:24 AM
Ann

Some years ago we did a one day bus tour from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle! It was the only overland tour available, and actually it was lots of fun. It followed the pipeline road, made numerous stops for a picnic, dessert at the Arctic Circle (photo op) dinner at the Yukon River on the way back down, and numerous videos en route, like one about winters in Fairbanks, one on the building of the pipeline, etc. They were using a small bus, made frequent stops and kept us well fed. If they're still in business, it would be a good way to see some of the northern area. By the way, it was miles and miles of miles and miles! Check with the Alaska tourist board or try a website in Fairbanks. I can't remember how we found them, but it was before we had our computer.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 06:14 PM
Paul Rabe

I was a little more adventuresome, I actually DROVE to the Artic Circle. NOT recommended for nervous types -- if your car breaks down the nearest PHONE could be 50 miles away!!

In 1993 the company that did the tour was "Artic Circle Adventure"; they may have an Internet site.

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 06:53 AM
Ann

Paul, you're correct. The company was called Arctic Circle Adventures. They seem to have expanded and changed their name, but they're still in business. They're now called Northern Alaska Tour Company and their URL is www.alaskasarctic.com
They still offer the all day drive tour, but they've added lots of other tours as well. They were a very good company back then, and unless you have the nerve to drive up alone as Paul did, I'd definately look into this company.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 03:18 PM
Wanda

My husband and I were in Alaska for 3 weeks in Aug & Sept. We flew into Anchorage and rented a car. We put 4550 miles on the car. We went to the Kenai
Penn.went to the State Fair in Palmer, Haines, Skagway, Valdez,Watson Lake, Ross River, Dawson City, Fairbanks, Denali. The only thing that we feel that we missed was the trip to the Artic. I think that I saw where there were trips where you can ride one way, stay overnite and fly back. Sounds great.
The roads were rough, but we live on a gravel road so we were used to them.
But then, you are on vacation, take your time and enjoy the scenery.
This was truly a trip of a lifetine and I cannot imagine going any where else and feeling this way.

Truly GODS country.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 04:00 PM
John

Jean, arctic Alaska is a rewarding but demanding area to experience as a tourist. While the Dalton Highway (formerly known as the North Slope Haul Road) is open to the public, the driving conditions are tough and the facilities and accommodations minimal, like almost none. (There's a similar road open to Inuvik in the Canadian arctic, with roughly the same travel conditions.) The Dalton is a very long, arduous way from the rest of the "highway system" in Alaska to the North Slope and the arctic plain.

Alternatively, there are numerous flights to arctic settlements in Alaska, including Kotzebue and Barrow, which feature prominently in the tourism agendas. (Nome, which is a historic and interesting destination, is technically not in the arctic since it's below the arctic circle, but offers many of the same attractions except no chance of any 24-hour sunny days.)

Regarding the scenery, the arctic looks nothing like the Kenai peninsula. Generally treeless, the main features are the bare mountains and the tundra plains, along with a lot of wildlife (birds, caribou, bears, lots of bugs...) and an immense sense of space and nature. Not easy country. On the Arctic Ocean the ice recedes only for a few weeks in the summer, but is often nearby and sometimes in your face. It's never warm, and in the summer never dark. A unique experience.

Regarding the road from Denali over to the Richardson, it's a scenic and not terribly taxing route. Using it allows a variety of interesting loop drives through central Alaska.

If you want off the beaten path in Alaska, and if you can afford the time and the airfare, I'd strongly suggest you investigate Kodiak and/or the Aleutian/Pribilof regions. Scenery, history, great people, heaven on earth if you're a birder. Maybe the state ferry down the Aleutian chain?

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 09:10 AM
Jean

John, thanks for all your help. I do want off the beaten path somewhat! Sounds like we might have to do a fly-in if we want to experience the Arctic!! The wildlife sounds great, though. I had thought a little about Kodiak, may check into that a little more. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, again.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 09:25 AM
kay

In early June '92 we flew from Fairbanks to Barrow for an overnight on a package from an airline that I think has since gone out of business. A driver with van met the 6 tourists of the day at the airport and drove us a couple of blocks to the community center. The locals presented us with cultural show and offered their handicrafts for sale. Then the guide drove us to see the other "sights" of the school, the DEW outpost, etc. We spent the rest of the evening just wandering around the little town talking to locals, walking on the Arctic Ocean ice, and trying to get the feel of what it must be like to live there. It was really an experience that we have not forgotten.