Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Arches,Bryce Canyon,Zion,Grand Canyon and Canyonlands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 01:46 AM
Cecilia

We'll be travelling from Denver to Las Vegas at the end of April.We'll only have 4 days to cover the distance to we'd appreciate some advice on where we should stop along the way.Whick areas are a must?

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 06:21 AM
Bob Brown

Hi Cecilia.
I have visited all of the places you mention more than once. Despite the fact that they are in the Southwest, Arches and the south Rim of the Grand Canyon are widely separated.
I don't think you will have time to see them all, so some decisions will have to be made as to which one or ones to omit on this trip. All of the National Parks that you mention are special places, so cutting one or more from the list is somewhat arbitrary, based mainly on your time constraints. Here are my suggestions, which are always subject to revision if one or more parameters changes values.
From Denver to LV, you have about 750 miles of Interstate driving. You could make this trip in one long day of about 13 hours or so. The route I am looking at on my map is to take I 70 west from Denver until it junctions with I 15. There you turn south and continue to Las Vegas.
Of the parks you mention, the Grand Canyon, both north and south rims, are the farthest from the most direct Denver-LV route. Arches and Zion are the closest.
If I had to make the trip, with the goals you describe, and the time constraints that you are under, I would consider the following plan.

Day 1 -- Drive to Moab via Grand Junction with a detour by Colorado National Monument. Moab can be reached in about 6 hours even with the detour.
That will leave about 4 hours for a look around Arches. Spend the night in Moab.

Day 2, visit the northern section of Canyonlands and a Utah State Park which is close by; in fact I think it borders Canyonlands. You could also return to Arches for another look; or you could continue toward Bryce. The most direct way to Bryce Canyon is to take I 70 to I 15 and then leave I 15 at Sevier on US 89.

Day 3 Visit Bryce. (It is my personal favorite of all of the Utah parks.) There are motels clustered around the entrance. Also there are some places in the little town of Tropic.
There is a lodge in Bryce run by Amfacs, the same folks who control the lodges and cabins at Yellowstone, but it may be full. Drive toward Zion for the night

Day 4 Visit Zion, possibly detouring by Cedar Breaks National Monument.

I don't think you will have time to visit the north rim of the Grand Canyon. It is a little out of the way, even though it is a lovely view. I argue its merits with people frequently, but I feel that the best views of the Canyon can be had from the south. The chief attraction of the north rim is that it is not as crowded and the facilities are located in a beautiful forest. The downside is that are not as many view points and the angle of sight into the canyon is not as good. But that is my own view and, as I indicated, others disagree. (I am not in condition any longer to think wisely about going down into the canyon. The trails are steep, and, even when I was a young man, it took me about an hour to return for each 20 minutes spent going down -- a 3 to 1 ratio!! So 90 minutes down meant 270 minutes coming back! 6 hours. And at the 7,000 to 8,500 feet of elevation from the north rim, there is a shortage of oxygen just when you need it most!!

Well, take a look at my ideas. I am available for more discussion. Of the 4 parks, Arches, Canyonlands, Zion, and Bryce, I would rate them in this order:
Bryce #1, Arches a close second, Canyonlands and Zion about equal, but a distant third. In fact, if you wanted to "go for it", omit Zion and try a quick one to the north rim. But, Zion has its followers, some of whom will take sharp issue with me. But look on the good side, you cannot go wrong.
I understand what you are doing; you are trying to maximize the limited time you have. So good luck.
(PS do you work for the Gartner group?? I have used several of their reports where computers are concerned.)

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 11:03 AM
Larry

With all respect to Bob--I would not miss the GC if you have never seen it. I would put GC well ahead of Bryce, and agree with the rest of the ranking. However, I have never been to the North Rim. How about Arches/Bryce/[skip Canyonlands]/Zion/North Rim. Or, skip zion and go from Bryce to the south rim.

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 11:20 AM
Al

Second transmission; first lost by Fodor's. The road south from Jacob Lake to the Grand Canyon North Rim likely will be closed when they make their trip in late April. Usually, the North Rim lodges are not open until mid-May.

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 04:30 PM
Bob Brown

I understand fully on the Grand Canyon question. I was trying to work out a plan within the constraints of 4 days and yet deliver as much scenery as possible without a lot driving just to get to a destination.

The GC is one of my favorites. I have reserved two nights at each rim for later in the spring and plan to arrive early and leave late so to speak.
But, Bryce is our favorite destination.
Perhaps it is because I feel as though I can get to know it; the GC is just too big to comprehend at times.
At one time I had memorized in order the names of all of the geologic formations in the canyon, walked for miles tracing some of the faults, and felt like I knew a little bit about it. But, I never felt like I was on a first name basis so to speak. I still feel overwhelmed just trying to reacquire the geologic knowledge because recent research has renamed some of the formations and subdivided them even more so that my full-scale geologic map is out of date.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 08:26 AM
lola

Disagree with some: I find Zion a must--but all are gorgeous, Skip the GC north rim, the south is enough. Plan to return--as I have-- so you don't get frustrated because 4 days won't do it justice. You are headed for some of the grandest most stunningly beautiful scenery on earth.