April trip to Tampa area--need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling with three boys (ages 8,9,14) to Tampa for spring break (first week of April for us). We're driving from Atlanta. I'm seeing mixed information regarding staying in Tampa. Can anyone recommend a condo/resort/hotel that is nice for families? If we stay in Clearwater or St. Pete, how much more travel time will that add? We want to go to Busch Gardens and other kid-oriented stuff, but the beach would be nice if it was warm enough in early April. Any advice is appreciated.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:30 AM

I'm a little confused by your post. Are you asking how much more travel time there is between Atlanta and Tampa and/or St. Pete/Clearwater? Without traffic, it is about 30 minutes from Tampa to St. Pete. Clearwater has some traffic and road construction problems so I'd not suggest you stay there. The beach should be quite swimmable by early April. For those ages, I'd recommend either Treasure Island or St. Pete Beach. Treasure Island best choices overall hotels would be the Thunderbird, and the Best Western Sea Castle Suites (ask for Gulf side). TI has a video arcade (there's also a smaller one at the corner of Blind pass Road in SPB's downtown). On St. Pete Beach, I'd recommend the Alden or the Tradewinds Resorts for places with resort amenities (many prefer the Alden). Or if you can afford it, the Don CeSar, which you'd prefer, it is an elegant place. Less money, large apartments, mom & pop place is the Bonaire (pool but no resort amenites).

In Tampa you'd want to look into Busch Gardens, Adventure Island water park, the Tampa Aquarium, the Lowry Park Zoo, and MOSI science center. In St. Pete, I'd recommend the Sunken Gardens/Childrens Museum complex, and the beach, of course. And go to the Chattaway outdoor hamburger joint and Coney Island hot dogs in downtown on 9th. These are places soft on your budget that the boys will enjoy.

I hope that answered your question.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:30 AM

We stayed at the Embassy Suites a couple of years ago and it was very nice. The rooms were lovely and it had a great pool.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, that's very helpful. I was thinking it would be about 7 hours from Atlanta to Tampa and if St. Pete was another hour I don't think I could stand it!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:17 AM

OK, now I getcha. When you're driving down on I-75, you'll get off at the Tampa exit on the north side of town. It will take you about 20 minutes to get from there to the bridge to SP, then another 20-30 minutes to get to SP. If you're going to Busch Gardens, Adventure Island, Lowry Park, or MOSI, those places are all on the north side of town. There are a myriad of places near Busch Gardens that are average tourist hotels, some are probably better than others but I wouldn't know which those are. You might want to stay a day or two in Tampa to go to BG, AD, MOSI, or the aquarium, then go to the beach for the remainder. That's what I'd recommend. BG is an all-day event then you can throw the kids in the pool, take them to Gameworks in Ybor City. Do they skateboard? Tampa has the SkatePark of Tampa (SPOT) that is really quite a great place for boys (it's been so successful they're opening one in Miami). They have a web site. It is also on the north side of town.

So hope you're not too confused but I think there will be more for your boys in Tampa, although the beach is a tremendous draw as well. What's a mom to do!?! Good luck.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Unless you're thinking you get a real deal renting a place for a week, I'd start with two or maybe three nights in Tampa, and do that stuff, then move to the beach for the final three or four days of beaching! Spring break driving back and forth from the beaches to Tampa and Busch Gardens can't be much fun!!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the advice. I think I will split the trip into Tampa/beach