Search

Apartments in Atlanta for month long visit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartments in Atlanta for month long visit

(Using my husband's screen name here)

My husband will be working in Vinings for a month in a few weeks time and the children and I will be accompanying him.

I am trying to find somewhere for us to set up base. As I will be at home with the children (toddler and baby) I'm after somewhere sociable where we can go to the park, join in pre-school activities at museums and the YMCA, libraries, etc. eat and shop too! Hopefully all within walking distance of the apartment/suite. It would be nice to meet up with my husband for lunch some days too so we need to be relatively close to Vinings. We need minimum 2 beds.

Any suggestions?

Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 01:11 PM

Try the Homewood Suites on Cobb Parkway in Atlanta. It is in the Vinings area. There is also an Embassey Suites in the Vinings/Cumberland Mall/Galleria area. Neither are within walking distance of pre-school activities. I can't think of anywhere for you to stay that would be. This is a city that requires a car.

There is story hour at the Vinings Public Library on Paces Ferry Rd.

The New York Pizza Exchange in Vinings is a great place to watch trains. Get ice cream across the train tracks at Cold Stone Creamery. LaPaz mexican restaurant in Vinings is very popular.
There is a Chuck E Cheese across from Cumberland Mall (which is next to Vinings).

The Buckhead YMCA (closest Y to Vinings) is on Moores Mill Rd. at Interstate 75 (5 minutes from Vinings).

The Atlanta Botanical Garden in midtown has a nice children's garden and programs. 20 minutes from Vinings.

The Fernbank Museum of Natural History is in the Druid Hills area. Good kids' area and an IMAX. 30 min. from Vinings.

The Children's Museum is downtown next to Centennial Park. Perfect for preschoolers. 25 min. from V.

Check out the Atlanta History Center on West Paces Ferry Road. May not be very interesting for preschoolers. 10 min. from V.

The science museum, Scitrek, recently closed.

Best malls for shopping- Lenox Square and Phipps in Buckhead. Best mall for kids (carousel in food court)- North Point in Alpharetta (30 min.).

Stone Mountain has many activities-gondola ride to top, miniature golf, historic buildings, indoor play area, paddle boats, train. 45 min. from V.

The Atlanta Zoo has animals plus a little train, carousel and playground. 35 min. from V.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 01:59 PM

Padams should be a tourism rep for Atlanta, you got very good advice. Chastain Park would be a good place to go with the kids--walking paths, playground and nice surroundings. It's probably 15 min. away.

There's a bookstore in Roswell, Hobbit Hall that's supposed to be cool and I know they have story hours. Of course, so do many Barnes and Nobles too...
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks padams for the list of activities - they sound excellent, just what I was after.

I've added Hobbit Hall to my list too - thanks OWJ.

I've checked out the accommodation though and both Homewood and Embassy Suites have only one bedroom. We need a minimum of two beds, preferably three.

Are there rental agencies that rent houses or larger apartments on a short term? I've tried searching but I'm not coming up with anything.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:44 AM

Here's link to get you started. Don't know Atlanta but if you google short term rentals you should come up with a few choices.

http://www.equitycorporatehousing.com/default.aspx
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 02:51 PM

trilogy: Try AMLI at Vinings - it's an apartment complex that rents furnished apartments for a 30-day minimum stay.

http://www.amli.com/corp/corporate-h...atlanta-lp.htm

There is also a Sierra Suites and a Homestead Studio Suites, both near Cumberland mall.

http://www.sierrasuites.com/locations/cumberland.asp

http://www.homesteadhotels.com/minis...asp?HotelID=25
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 06:50 PM

WHAT? Scitrek is closed?? Where have I been? - I never heard anything about that. I went about a year ago when they had a nice traveling exhibit on the Brain.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies.

Looking forward to seeing Atlanta.