Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

anything to see between Minneapolis and Bismarck on Rt. 94?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 03:59 PM
connie

While traveling between Chicago and Medora, ND, will there be anything off I 94 to see or do for a quick break? Even touristy type things that will break up the long drive? Thanks all.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:04 AM
topper

to the top

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Paul

Nope. Nothing to see. I used to live in Fargo.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 04:53 PM
ttt

ttt

give me a break there has to be something off the highway for these pple!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:40 PM
cindy

No, there isn't anything to see. Really!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:24 PM
reality

C'mon folks, aren't there any tasty freeze's or little popscicle stands or other various tourist traps that could double as a potty break?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Cali

I have not driven from Mpls. to Bismarck in years so can't really comment on that, but we do go between Chicago and Mpls. quite frequently and we always stop in Madison and have lunch and drive around the U Of W campus (very beautiful with the lakes) and then hit the road again. We don't stop in the Dells as it isn't our cup of tea (we did stop a few years ago) but many people do enjoy it. We also stop at the Norsk Nook in Osseo, WI and always get a piece of pie. It is about 1 mi. off the freeway but easy to find - lots of signs. We spend a lot of time in Mpls. and there are many places you can go there if you want to stop for the day or even a few hours. What do you like to do? Lots of parks and the lakes and of course the River Areas (both Mississippi and St. Croix) and lots of restaurants we like. Can recommend a few if you give me an idea what you are looking for. Hamburger places, good restaurants, etc. Are you going to drive all the way from Chicago straight thru to N.D.? I am always beat and ready to relax by the time I get to Mpls. so you might want to do that too.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:37 AM
connie

Thanks Cali! We won't have much time to really sightsee on that stretch, but if its something really good, we can extend our bathroom-break into a mini-adventure lol. Anything around minneapolis near I 94 that would be worth a stop? A little museum or historical sight? Or something to see that is outdoors? Hope that makes sense...??

Thanks, Cali!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:43 AM
seano

A concrete buffalo statue "World's Largest Buffalo" in Jamestown. West Acres Mall in Fargo (near the intersection of I-29 and I-94) is decent, as far as malls go.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:57 AM
connie

Cool! Thanks! Sometimes the funkier things are the memories our kids treasure the most! lol

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Phil Tune

I drive to St. Cloud now and then on 94, and there are two things that might be worth a stop. In Rogers, there is the Ellingson Car Museum that is suppose to be fun if you like old cars. And then, in Albertville, there is the "Outlets at Albertville." It was built about 3 years ago and has some "upscale" shops. Watch for the signs because it is easy to miss the exit.
They both have Web sites.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Paul

OK,
I've been brainstorming and came up with something...
Moorhead, Minnesota has the Hjemkomst, a replica Viking ship that was made in Minnesota and sailed from Minnesota to Norway in the 1980s. It was returned and is now in a museum in Moorhead. To find out more, go to: http://www.hjemkomst-center.com/
Whew, that was a tough one.
Paul

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 10:23 AM
connie

Thanks guys, I KNEW there had to be SOMETHING out there!

And hey Paul, I appreciate all the extra brain-power you exerted, especially for a friday! I can see the smoke from here! lol

Anyone else with any ideas??

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Roma

Connie,

As a quirky supplement to Paul's idea, I think you should stop in Alexandria, Minnesota (about 130 miles northwest of Minneapolis). Besides being in the middle of beautiful Minnesota Lakes Country, you could stop and see "Big Ole". He's a large statue of a Viking holding a plaque proclaiming "Minnesota, Birthplace of America". With a little more time, you could visit the Runestone Museum that houses the Kensington Runestone a "very controvsial" stone proving that the Vikings were, in fact, in Minnesota.

If nothing else, I'm sure there must be a Dairy Queen in town!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Roma

OK, make that "very controversial". Sorry for the spelling error.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Cheryl

I agree on Alexandria. There is - or was - a Dairy Queen. It's about half way to Fargo from Mpls.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:37 PM
geez

You are missing the major attraction. In Rothsay, Mn, just off of 94, there stands the World's Largest Prairie Chicken. Great photo opp.

Also, if you need to stretch your legs as you pass through the Fargo/moorhead area, then you can take a walk on the Concordia College campus. Lovely this time of year.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:31 PM
Cali

I always like to see the Minnesota State Capital which you can see from I-94 and also enjoy the Grand Ave. and Summit Ave. Areas just off I-94 in St. Paul. We usually exit on Lexington and then drive down Summit (lots of old large mansions) and then back Grand where there are some restaurants, shops, etc.
I-94 also goes right by the University of MN and then right by downtown Mpls. which I love. There are sjyways everywhere and you can stay in comfort while you go all over downtown Mpls. Other ideas for areas beyond Mpls. sound good to me. Enjoy your trip.