Reload this Page >

Anyone Visited Alpine Helen in Georgia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 07:49 AM
bonniebroad

My big sister saw this advertised in "Southern Living," also a German friend said that it was like a little piece of Germany transported to the U.S. We were thinking that sometime during the Christmas season might be a nice time to check it out.... Any firsthand experiences there, Fodorites?

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, bonniebroad. We live about an hour or so from Helen, and we've been there a couple of times, but I'm really not impressed with it at all. During the summer we've gone tubing down the river, but you can't do that at Christmas. It's a bunch of shops (think Gatlinburg, except smaller), and I personally think it's mostly tacky, except for the surrounding mountains and countryside, which are very pretty.

I guess it depends how far you would be traveling to get there. In my opinion, if you live close it wouldn't hurt to see it, but I don't think it's worth a long trip.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:00 AM
bonniebroad

Samsaf, thank you so much for the info. I wondered why I hadn't heard of it before ... maybe a lot of people hold the same opinion you do. Maybe we'll check it out sometime if we're nearby but not make a special trip from Raleigh. Thanks again.

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:03 AM

I live in Atlanta, and have been to Helen several times over the years. I've also traveled through Germany several times.

Helen is really tacky. The town of Helen decided some years ago to boost tourism by creating an "alpine villege". It's sort of a Disney version of Germany but Epcot's countries are done far better. There are some shops and a few restaurants, none of which are particularly good. It's a one street town basically, and traffic can look like Atlanta's traffic particularly on weekends. If you find yourself wandering around north GA, then you might want to stop there. Otherwise, you'll likely be disappointed.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:07 AM
bonniebroad

padams421, thank you for your advice. Always good to check into Fodor's before we gas up, isn't it? Looks like I definitely won't be making a special trip ....

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:31 AM

I would classify Helen as a "bowl over the yokelry tourist facility.'

But, it has been an economic success and it has revitalized the area with the tourist money. I cannot deprecate its beneficial economic impact on a rural mountain area.

I do find the faux alpine half timbered construction to be accurate, and many people go there. So the village must be doing something right to lure in so many people!

Perhaps I am being a snob, because if you were to take a street poll on a summer day in Helen, I think 90% of the respondents would tell you it was wonderful.

my attitude is that many people enjoy going there and, if they enjoy it, then more power to them. Their enjoyment and interests are their right and privilege.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:14 AM

during the Christmas season would not be a good time. The weather could be miserable and the scenery is really the best part of the place. It's little. It's worth stopping off for a couple of hours if you are going somewhere else, but not as THE main destination.

I understand that the Hot Air Balloon Festival is great, but I don't know when that is. I am sure that it's not around the Holidays.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Tacky, tacky, tacky. Don't waste your time.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Hello,
There is a scenic route close by.
It's called Richard Russell.

If it's still not too cold, I'd
advise checking out Dukes Creek falls.
Of course, check with the locals, but
this waterfall is beautiful!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 04:41 PM

BonnieBroad...I think I saw a similar article and having lived and travelled in Germany was excited to see Helen - boy what a disappointment...it's like Busch Gardens meets the Boardwalk and full of fat Americans scarfing down ice cream, weiners...it in no way resembles Germany except in some deluded PR person's mind. The surrounding areas are beautiful...
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 05:53 PM

Bonnie--Come visit OWJ2 and I in Atlanta but skip Helen. As others have said, it's Tacky, with a capital T! Cheesy and not kitch-y in a cool way either.

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 05:58 PM
bonniebroad

Why, thank you, OWJ! I'm sure you're classier and a lot more fun than Alpine Helen, from what I'm hearing! (And would you believe I've never been to Atlanta? ) Thank you all for your replies! Much appreciated ...