Anyone visit Chattanooga?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I have been doing some research on a roadtrip to Tennessee. We will be driving to visit relatives in the Tri-Cities TN area and we have a toddler. I have looked at Memphis because of the Zoo, but I must say Chattanooga looks like it has some nice things with the aquarium and Lookout Mtn. We are planning our trip in mid-late March 2008. When I was a girl I visited Ruby Falls which was really neat but I haven't been there since. Any tips or ideas?
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 10:12 AM

With kids (if I recall, yours are fairly young?), I'd actually pick Chattanooga. I haven't been in awhile, but the Tennessee Aquarium is amazing. Lookout Mountain would be fun as well, and there's an IMAX by the aquarium. The downsides would be that if you're coming from the west (I want to say Texas, but I don't remember where you're coming from), Memphis is definitely more on the way than Chattanooga, plus if your husband is still set on the Gibson factory, I don't think Chattanooga has anything like that.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks jent. I am still investigating both places. I considered possibly stopping at the Gibson store/factory on the way to Bristol and then maybe having family fun in Chattanooga on the way back. While I would really like to go to the Memphis Zoo, I must admit that we wouldn't be deterred by weather by visiting the TN aquarium. Overall, Chattanooga looks pretty family friendly. I will have to discuss this with my husband for feedback.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 02:59 PM

I grew up in Chattanooga (moved from there about 11 years ago), and downtown Chattanooga has really become revitalized in recent years. The aquarium is reallyn nice, and kids would enjoy Rock City, Ruby Falls and the Incline. You could go to Park Point (I think that's what it's called) for walking around and maybe a picnic.

The end of March can bring all sorts of weather in Chattanooga, from ice storms (very rarely) to thunderstorms to beautiful weather in the 70's.

If you stay downtown near the acquarium, you could walk to it and to lots of restaurants nearby, and there is a walkway by the river that's fun, too.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Okay, now I don't think it's called Park Point, but I can't remember the name. It's on Lookout Mountain, near Rock City.

Also, the Lookouts might be playing by the end of March (baseball -- not sure when they start).
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Is the children's museum still open in Chattanooga? If so, it's a great pairing with the aquarium downtown one day.

It's been a few years since my last visit to 'Nooga but I've always enjoyed my time there.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 03:40 AM

I think the children's museum is still there. I was there several years ago (on one of the kids' school field trips) and the kids really enjoyed it.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 07:49 AM

My toddler loved Chattanooga. The train stuff, the children's museum, the aquarium, the downtown area with the fountains and the horse wagon rides, the restaurants and most of all Rock City. There's a spot to ride trains, see an old steam engine turn around on a turntable thing in a freightyard. Awesome! Rock City was great, a path through caves, gardens, bridges, completely exceeded my expectations. We stayed right downtown in the Courtyard Marriott, which had a great location and an indoor pool (a small indoor pool, but it sufficed). Lots of family friendly restaurants downtown. You will not run out of things to do there.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 07:51 AM

The wording of my post makes it appear that the train things are in Rock City. They aren't, it's separate. The train things are all sponsored by the TN Valley Railroad Museum, and a quick search will bring up their websie. Sorry for the confusion
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 12:59 PM
nlg

There is a lot to do in Chattanooga.
We have been to the aquarium several times and the children's museum is great. Your toddler will love digging for dinosaur bones. The incline railroad is also a nice way to go up Lookout Mountain. Rock
City and Ruby Falls are a little dated, but you may still enjoy them.