Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone used National Car Rental on Maui and/or Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 12:53 PM
lisa

Will be on Maui & Kauai in October for the first time. National Car Rental is quoting the best rates. Has anyone had any recent experience with them, good or bad, & would you recommend? Are the cars near the terminal or do you have to take a shuttle off-site?

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 08:34 PM
barbara

I use whatever car rental (big company - National, Avis, Hertz, Budget etc) gives me the best price. I know that I have used National, can't remember which island though (definitely on the Big Island). I frequently find that National has a great deal and/or is flexible with coupons and discounts. I think Maui rental sites are all off-site, but not far. You do need to take the shuttle bus, unless it has changed in the last year or so. Kauai, I believe is right on site, walk to the car. Whatever the arrangement, all the major car rental companies seem to have the same set-up and, if off-site, are right next to each other. I always check my rate again a week or two before I leave and again once I am at the counter, to make sure I have the best deal as the deals change frequently. I have never had a problem with National - can't say the same about AVIS.

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 05:35 AM
Paul

I believe that all of the car rental companies are located off site at the Maui airport and you take a shuttle bus. I used Dollar, not National, in Maui.

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 07:05 AM
Lani

We've used National in the Islands, and they were just fine! Don't believe they're off-site on Maui, believe we just walked over to their stand!

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 11:09 AM
kal

Aloha...It's off Lihue airport premises by a few miles/minutes by yhte ball park on the way towards the Marriott. If you can save big dough, worth the little inconvenience.

Also, be careful at the Lihue terminal. The tile work on the sidewalks outside the luggage carosels and the loading zones are slippery when it gets some rain on it which happens on occasion in Kauai!!

Kauai no ka oi!
Kal

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 10:18 AM
lisa

Thanks everybody for your responses.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 11:02 AM
tj

I just came back from Kauai where we used Budget...the best thing about it was that there were NO lines at either pick up or return...the desk is directly across from baggage claim (across the street) and very easy to get to...no problems with the car or the service...

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 08:55 AM
Anna

We rented a Jeep Wrangler from National on Kauai and were very happy. The cars are right at the terminal so you don't have to take a shuttle. The woman who showed us how to take the top off of our Jeep noticed that there was some sand in the back storage area, so she noted it on our contract and they gave us a discount off of our already low rate! I would highly recommend them.