Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone taken Mauna Kea Summit & Stars Adventure on Big Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be on the Big Island next week., end of February. I just discovered this tour by Hawaii Forest and Trail . Fodor rates star

Join us for a provocative journey through space and time. From sea level to the high alpine witness the dramatic diversity of our island's landscape. After a hot, picnic-style dinner we make our way to the summit of Hawaii's most sacred mountain for a sensational sunset amidst the largest collection of telescopes on earth. As daylight fades we descend to a lower elevation where your Interpretive Guide will reveal the wonders of our Hawaiian night skies.

Prices: Adult: $185.00, plus tax It's available our dates

beargrass2 ( a Montana mountain lover, now living in California at sea level)
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 10:29 AM

We took the summit tour last month with Mauna Kea Summit Adventures and it was excellent; worth every cent in our opinion. I would stick with either MKSA or Hawaii Forest and Trail which both have excellent reputations. MKSA gives a discount if you book online.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 02:32 PM

We did the tour last March, with Hawaii Forest & Trail and this was a one of a kind experience amid the snow covered peaks, as the began to set some of the telescopes began to turn and the doors opened revealing the innards.

After many we ventured back down from the telescopes to the visitor's center where our very knowledgeable guide set up his own telescope and reviewed the major constellations and planets & visible that night. Saturn was the most memorable planet in my opinion and of other planets were also revealed by a few telescopes. Agree that the tour is $-) but worth it and they do provide food and ~o) and parkas however you don't get to go inside the telescopes which can be accessed with 4WD on weekends, weatherpermitting, however most rental companies prohibit driving to the summit. If you are very tall say over 6ft, the MKSA custom tour van appeared to have more head room than the HI F&T standard shuttle van.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 07:00 PM

I go to the Big Island frequently, as my father lives there, and the MKSA tour is probably my favorite thing that I have ever done on the island. Even better because he paid for it.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. We are going to do it, with Hawaii Forest and Trail. They also throw in the Parker Ranch for the dinner.