Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed at these Kauai south shore condos?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Mindi

Working on a trip for my parents. My husband and I have been to kauai twice and stayed on the north shore. it was summer and we had no rain to speak of. However, they would like to travel then end of february or in March. They are sun lovers and so it seems the poipu area is the safest choice. These are some condos we are looking at: 1. Piopu Kapili
2. Kuhio Shores
3. Prince Kuhio
4. Whalers
5. Lawai beach resort

Looking for a peaceful condo that has a nice pool/jacuzzi and has tropical flora around it. Any ideas by anyone would be helpful!

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 02:29 PM
Chris

We heard that the Makahuena was nice on near Poipu beach.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Anna

I recently stayed at the Makahuena in one of the prime ocean front 2 bdrm units.

The property is run down and could really use a face lift. Alot of the units look right into other units (not much privacy). Select your condo carefully if you do rent there. The pool and jacuzzi was always busy with lots of families with their children.

We would definitely NOT stay there again.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Mark

e have stayed at both Pono Kai and Prince Kuhio. We like the Pono Kai much better. The upkeep of the unit (we had a 2Br/2Ba unit) was well above average. The layout is also very nice with Bougianvilla (sp?) over all of the car ports. There is a very nice pool right there at the end of the drive, and the beach is less than a 3 min walk across the street. Our Prince Kuhio unit (1Br/1Ba) was more "used" some of the wicker was damaged on the rattan furniture,and the kitchen ammenities were little or non existant (only two glasses for drinking, missing silverware) Bust of Luck, and have a wonderful trip. Stop by Roy's to eat! It's across the main road from Pono Kai.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 06:44 AM
kal

Aloha Mindi,
Wadda nice duaghter!

I've stayed at the Prince Kuhio and agree with Mark's posting.

A nice place but there are better in that area. For us the price was right and the location was good as we got the condo at the last second while we were on the island already.
It did have a nice little pool, jacuzzi set amongst a koi pond and trop. flora.
No "bell service" so if they get a room up on the 3rd floor (for a better view out the back bedroom) they have to haul their own luggage. No elevator.
Kuhio Shores was across the street and it looked nice and we'd give it a shot if went went back. It's out on the point and has better views from the condo.

Lawai was right next door to the PK and across from KS. Looked nicer than than the PK. All are right near a small beach "Beachhouse Beach" and if your parents like to swim, snorkel, good place to do it. Not too rough.

Beach House retaurant is right there, too. Yum.

Another poster here, her name escapes me now....uhhhh Suzie, that's it, has stayed at The Whaler and speaks highly of it, I believe.

Mahalo,
Kal

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Suzie

Do you mean Whalers Cove? If so I stayed there in September. It was so beautiful. Has only 36 maybe 38 units on 3 levels in two buildings. Very private. Lanais are huge and run the full length of the living room and master bedroom. They have 2 chaise lounges a table for eating outside and four chairs and it does not seem the least bit crowded. We stayed in building 1 on the second floor and it was awesome. The ocean is right outside the door. The pool is one of those with no ledge, it's flush with the flagstone decking. The jacuzzi is large enough for 6-8 people. The ocean i right in front of the pool so you can face it with an unobstructed view. No beach but you can go snorkeling right there. A set of stairs on the side takes you down to the water.

The front desk is great. The decor and furnishings are very nice. Extremely clean. Very close to Spouting Horn, The Beach House Restaurant and all the good Poipu sites, shopping(?) and restaurants. (Roys, Tidepools, at the Hyatt,).

Wish I was going back in 10 days......