Anyone married in Hawaii?

Feb 10th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Anyone married in Hawaii?

I'm planning on getting married in Hawaii in September 2005. Does anyone have suggestions for wedding coordinators, locations, etc? There is an overwhelming number of possibilities! My fiance and I are thinking of Maui, Oahu, and Kauaii as options but haven't settled on and island yet. There are 20 people going with us, and we are imagining a garden or beach ceremony and a small, intimate dinner for us and our guests somewhere where we can walk outside and dance among tiki torches. Any thoughts?
Feb 10th, 2004, 03:49 PM

I know the resorts in Wailea, Maui offer beach ceremonies as well as garden ceremonies and I've seen a romantic private table for 2 on the sand there with private wait staff on numerous occasions. The Grand Wailea has a beautiful garden area with a gazebo built for weddings as well. I would call or visit the websites of the resorts there...Grand Wailea, Four Seasons, Kea Lani and inquire about what they offer.
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:19 PM

Yes, we were married in Kauai last April at the Hanalei Bay resort. We had the wedding on the beach and afterwards pictures in the gardens, waterfalls and grounds. The views there are beautiful. Check out the resort at http://www.hanaleibaykauai.com/
Our coordinator was Marcia at www.kauai-wedding.com
Her prices are reasonable and we were very happy with the wedding, the pictures and the video--everything was great!! Afterwards, we had dinner at the Cafe Hanalei at the Princeville resort.
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:25 PM

My husband and I got married at the Royal Waikoloan Hotel on the Big Island. The hotel handled the entire wedding start to finish and did a great job. Our wedding was on the Kings' Knoll in front of the Royal Fish Ponds with the crescent beach behind and whales off the coast. Could it have been more perfect? Nope. I wouldn't change a thing! Gorgeous sunset, the wedding minister, Rev. Sterling was a poet and wonderful. They even helped me get my dress at the Princess Kiulani shop in Waimea (I wanted a traditional, Victorian white dress not the sarong and sandals look some brides pick).
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:26 PM

I forgot to mention the walk from the ceremony was down the tiki torch lit walk and we dined in a lovely garden, very intimate and charming.
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:15 PM

All of these stories makes me want to get married in Hawaii again! We got married at the W'aioli Church in Hanalei and then dined at Cafe Hanalei at the Princeville Hotel. Our table overlooked Bali Hai and it was breathtaking! In Maui, The Grand Wailea is in a beautiful setting and the gazebo is a picture perfect place for a wedding. If they have what you want, you may want to consider that hotel considering all the people involved. You could have the ceremony and the dinner in one place!
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:32 AM

Congratulations, we were married in Princeville, Kauai Feb. 2002, similar to what Sara j has described using the same wedding coordinator and highly recommend this site-the photo's and video of Hanalei Bay framed by the Bali Hai mountains are strikingly beautiful, and an easily recognizable Hawaiian location.
Link:
http://www.kauai-wedding.com/
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:00 AM

Congratulations,
My wife & I got married in sept 2003. As catholics we were married in St.Augustines Church in Waikiki (its a beautiful church) then we went for photos and then dinner at Hanohano room (what a view of Waikiki beach). We hired Aloha wedding planners to arrange the photographer, the flowers, the limo everything there were wonderful. they were in contact with us daily checking to see if everythig was to our satisfaction. We loved the place so much we're back again this year for our anniversary 12 nights Oahu & Maui
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:12 PM

NikkiK

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. We are marrying on Kauai in Sept 2004 and like you, I started planning last February - over a year in advance.

We are getting married on the private grounds of Secret Beach Hideaways on Kauai (we are staying here for our honeymoon for the 1st 5 "wedding nights") Arriving on Kauai 2 days earlier and staying at the Hyatt to get adjusted. We are having our "reception" - just the two of us at the Princeville - doing a private beach dinner for two as described on their website.

20 people is not too many and I found that the fees for such a small wedding are out of this world for resort weddings. The Princeville is $1,500 for the location fee - that is just to stand on the property. It doesn't include anything else - not even the wedding coordinator fee of $300.

We have hired Kaye with Wedding on Kauai to handle all of the arrangements and she is also a great photographer. She has been very helpful and wants your wedding to be whatever you dream it to be. She offers lots of ideas but goes out of her way to make it just how you wish. When I was looking for a coordinator, I sent correspondence to about 5 that seemed to fit what I was looking for. After I decided to use Kaye a few of them who had not responded in time sent me their desire to do my wedding. When I told them that I had decided to work with Kaye, they replied with only compliments about her and told me I was in very good hands. So that made me feel good about my choice. I won't know for sure until it's all said and done on Sept 3rd, but I'm feeling very good about everything.

Good Luck!!! Planning it is half the fun.

Feb 11th, 2004, 03:53 PM

We got married on Oahu at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The coordinator took care of all the details for us, including the minister. They offered videographers, photographers, flowers, limo's - whatever we wanted. There was no charge for her services. If we had it to do all over again, though, we would not choose to marry on Oahu.
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:25 AM

We were married on Maui 2/98 and loved everything about it. I actually hired a photographer first & she helped guide me in the right direction as far as coordinators & such. I was considering using a minister who also did all of the planning for weddings -- & the ONLY reason I was thinking about going with him was because his name was the same as my bestfriend's dad (omen, or so I thought). The Photographer did not tell me he was bad news but I got the feeling in her reluctance to tell me what she knew about him that I should look elsewhere. I am so glad I did.

The Photog is Kathy Reagor of Creative Photography or Pictures - the correct name escapes me now. The Wedding Coordinator we used was Arrabelle of A White Orchid Wedding. You can hire White Orchid & request Kathy if you want. These ladies made it all soooo simple. It was just my husband & me just the way we wanted it but they can accommodate as many as you want. We were provided a list of sites to check out in the 3 days that we were there prior to our wedding. We said we wanted a natural setting & we settled on a small secret beach.

We stayed at the Renaissance & they were great to us. They gave us a double upgrade because there was a possiblity that we may have used the property there for the wedding. I think they threw in a couple of free nights since we were there for 10 nights.

Congrats & have fun. Six years later people still ooo & ahh over our pictures.
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:46 AM

Hey Nancy03,
We did not pay a $1,500 $)
fee to use the beach for our wedding, suggest if NikkiK is interested to check with Marcia of Bali Weddings, which was very reasonably priced as referenced above, though in fairness, we also did not have 20 folks attending our ceremony; and like sara j we stayed at HBR.

Perhaps this $1,500 fee is necessary for people not staying at the Princeville Hotel or somehow using the Princeville Hotel facilities, or other wedding coordinators?
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:59 AM

JohnD.

The beach in front of Princeville is Free because it is public property, but the Princeville's property is $1,500.

My first desire was to get married on the beach in front of the Princeville but my concern about the beach was that there may be too many onlookers or "traffic" out in the bay that would distract from this special time. To move to a more private location on the Princeville grounds (and we were going to stay there that night)cost $1,500 - no exceptions. I tried. We will take some sunset wedding photos there after our private bluff wedding. I was too afraid to take the chance that there might be another wedding happening 15 feet from ours.
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:14 AM

For the sake of NikkiK, I do not know how crowded it will be in Sept. 2005, but it was not crowded at all in Feb.2002 and we stood on the beach and under a beautiful flowering Banyan tree just mauka of the Princeville Hotel, more in front of HBR and towards Hanalei Bay, and only a few women in bikinis walked by. Seemed like there was plenty of room for more onlookers, but probably not tables and chairs, etc.

Our coordinator informed us that as many as 3 weddings per day can occur on that site, but there was only one on our day, and I suspect they would schedule the ceremony's to be non-overlapping. The three different years that we have visited the Princeville beach in Feb. & March it has never been that crowded.
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:16 AM

I always come on this kind of a thread and knock this idea. Just pick a non-swimming beach for privacy. I think it is a cheesy spectacle myself when someone gets married in Waikiki or a crowded popular beach like kea beach on the North Shore of Kauai. I feel uncomfortable passing the couple, like I am interrupting their special day when this is my special time in Hawaii also. Actually I have spoken with others that were equally annoyed at different times. I have also seen guests walk up to tables set on the beach by the Princeville hotel again remember these guests are in wet soggy suits, picking up the lids of the food to see what the happy couple is dining on. One year and I say this every time but but but, one year I saw eleven weddings in 10 days. It is not unusual at all to see two weddings on the same beach and or hotel. Not something I would find romantic or sophisticated. Look it is just my take and of course there will be plenty of first time travelers that think a wedding on the beach is sweet. I just tell you this because some hotel or service might set you up on a public beach and not everyone would seek the kind of experience I am describing. If you don?t care go for it. A non-swimming beach in a hidden location might be a good start. September is also a better month to avoid tourists. OH yeah, you should know that most wedding chapels I have seen at hotels are made with glass walls. Something you might want to inquire about. If there is pool expect the same crowd to gather around while you marry. I have seen this at Turtle bay and Hilton Waikoloa in Hawaii. Again not a pretty sight with a crowd of wet/sandy strangers standing around and gawking.

Good Luck
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:46 AM

John Mauka means mountain side if you were on the beach you were kai or ocean side.
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:50 AM

Pardon my mainlander misconceptions, but if one is standing facing Hanalei Bay, with the Princeville Hotel on the right hand side and the Hanalei River (town) on the left hand side, I would consider Hanalei river Mauka and Princeville Hotel Makai-that is the point I was trying to make.
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:12 AM

yeah john If you were on the beach you were on the beach. It would probably be more helpful if you just said you were at the mouth of the Hanalei river. Hanalei river is Mauka when you are actually towards the mountains not in comparison to other spots but actually located back by the mountains.
Ps I am from the mainland too.
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:16 AM

john, nice you had such a good
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:22 AM

Carrobogillan idea is great!... you would have privacy and beautiy that church is old and elegant.

http://gohawaii.about.com/library/ga...gallery780.htm

Search this Thread