Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone know where to get Gulf shrimp delivered?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2004, 04:48 PM
MightyIsis

Forgive me as this is not technically a travel question. The shrimp in my grocery store is always from some other country (cheaper I guess). I would like to order US Gulf shrimp (via overnight mail) from either FL, AL, MS, or even TX, and support the Gulf coast mom-and-pop type shrimping operation. Has anyone done this? Any names and companies? Thanks all.

Old Jan 1st, 2004, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, I was just getting ready to post a similar question. I live in New Jersey, and the shrimp here are imported from Thailand. They are tasteless.

I am going to New Orleans next month. Is there a convenient market near the French Quarter where I can buy 15-20 lbs of good gulf shrimp to bring back?

I'm with you Mightylsis - I was at party last night and they had lots of this tasteless shirmp. They seem to like it up here -- maybe they haven't tasted some of the best.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 06:16 PM
stjohnbound

Try http://www.joepattis.com/ This is the best place in Pensacola, Florida for seafood and believe me, it is always fresh. It's interesting too cause Joe Patti happens to be in federal prison right now. But don't let that stop you from ordering...it doesn't stop any of us from shopping there!

Old Jan 1st, 2004, 07:02 PM

I remember Joe Patti's when I was stationed in Pensacola back in the 80's. Bought from him many times. Thanks for the link.

Looking for place in New Orleans to carry back on the airplane. Any help out there?
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 07:06 PM
MightyIsis

Thanks guys!

Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 03:42 AM

Budman:
The French Market in New Orleans has a store that will pack seafood in dry ice for a trip home. I don't remember wheat the extra cost was, but it was worth it to have the crawfish we can't get in central Ohio -our hotel kept it in their freezer for us so we didn't have to wait till the last minute to shop and run for the airport. You'll probably want to visit the market anyway so give them a try. Good luck!
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 04:51 AM

MightyIsis, try this place in Clearwater, Florida: Ward's Seafood

http://www.wardsseafood.com/shop/shop.html

Although they are a competitor of mine (my DH and I own a seafood market & restaurant in St. Pete) they have excellent quality and selection, and do regular shipping. Be sure to ask for "Key West Pinks" as your shrimp of choice - they're awesome. And don't be afraid to get a 5-lb frozen box. They are frozen at the peak of freshness and should be just what you're looking for. The problem is the shipping charges...last time I checked, FedEx charges $38 for the first pound, overnight. They are very strict about the packaging, but I'm sure Ward's knows their stuff.

And I second cc's rec of the French Market - we still order our gumbo file through them - high quality stuff!
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 04:59 AM

http://www.ifcstonecrab.com/item.cfm?cat=164

We have ordered Sotne Crabs and shrimp through this retailer and never had a problem. Its in the heart of the Florida Keys. ISLAMORADA FISH COMPANY
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 05:06 AM

Make that Stone Crabs.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 07:12 AM

ccolor, thanks for the great info. That will work for us -- our flight isn't until 6:30 pm, so we'll have all afternoon to shop and get to the airport.