Reload this Page >

Anyone Know About Paniolo Greens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 12:11 PM
sipry

We have a chance to do a vacation exchange at the end of October at a place called Paniolo Greens. Does anyone have any info on this place and is Oct-Nov a good time to be going to Hawaii? Sipry

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 03:13 PM
JoAnn

A couple of things you can do...check out [email protected] or www.shellvacationsonline.com or go to the Timeshare Users Group BBS at WWW.TUG2.NET. TUG is run and operated by timeshare users NOT the resorts or developers. If you become a member you can get into the Members Only Review section and check out any resort you may be exchanging into. I suggest you go to TUG to see what we are all about. I would be glad to refer you. The reviews look very good. We have not been to Hawaii in 10 years, so can't help you there. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 04:06 PM
Becky

We stayed at Paniolo Greens in 1999 in a 2 bedroom unit. The resort itself is lovely, each balcony looking out onto the golf course. But unless you are golfers, this location is quite far from everything else. Including the ocean. It took 40 minutes each way to and from Kona, further for other places, across lava fields that are only interesting a few times.
If it's some SUPER bargain, take it. Otherwise, stay in Kona for sun and Hilo for lush greenery and waterfalls. I recommend at least 2 days Hilo side, at Hilo Hawaiian or Naniloa Hotel- oceanview- for a lovely setting. VERY Hawaiian. (half off with Entertainment book)
If you choose to stay here DO try out the beaches in your nearest oceanfront area of Waikoloa, about 6 miles, and don't miss the amazing Hilton Waikoloa Village, ride around the resort by boat or monorail--free!
Resort=great
Location=not great
But we had fun there anyway!

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 04:27 PM
Nancy

Hi Sipry, we are staying at Paniolo Greens next April 2002 thru an exchange with RCI. I did quite a bit of research on the property including tug before we booked. Most of the reports are very favourable. I think the biggest concern was location but my thinking was in that area you are closer to all the good beaches and hotels. It was also mentioned to me that Kona is getting extremely busy with traffic and was not a quiet area. We were in Kona 6 years ago and liked the area but did find ourselves travelling up to the Waikola area a number of times to go to the beaches and enjoy the hotels so it depends on what you want. The road is very good so that is not a problem. It is also a chance for us to explore the top part of the Island which we didn't do alot of last time. You won't find many if any good beaches in the Kona area. It is a Shell resort and that is who owns ours here in Toronto. They are a very good company. I think anytime is a good time to go to Hawaii. If you need any more information let me know. Please do a trip report when you return so I can see what you think of it if you decide to go there. Aloha

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 06:37 PM
Sipry

I went ahead and joined TUG - All day yesterday, I kept saying to my husband - "If only I could find a site where people who own timeshares and do exchanges rate the properties...." Thanks for the referral - Now, I'm spending WAY too much time reading and reading.....From what I read, I think I might pass on Paniolo Greens and try to get in at the Bay Club or one of the Kona Coast Resorts. I have to make up my mind by tomrrow - Such stress!

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 03:42 AM
JoAnn

Sipry...I think you'll be very happy you joined TUG. As far as the reading checking in on TUG, join the crowd. Most of us spend quite a bit of time going over the posts, either to learn something new, or to help someone out. I know how you feel about needing a BBS such as TUG. We had a horrible time trading until I found TUG, now it's much easier! The people are great and there is some great back and forth banter that goes on with some. Glad to help. JoAnn

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 05:12 AM
John

We did a RCI exchange into Paniolo Greens last Christmas and loved it. I posted a trip report at TUG.
The place is nice but remote (10-15 min ride to beaches.) You will need a car so we did not find that too inconvenient. There are many things to do within 20-30 min drive. Only Hilo and the Volcanoes requirs a longer trip (we toured them by taking an around the island tour.).
The resort amenities and service were good.
All in all a good place. If you could get a place on the beach I would go for that however.
If you need more info let me know.
John, Lexington, MA