Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any experience with Elderhostel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:54 AM
doolin

Has anyone been on any Elderhostel tours? In particular, I'm interested in the southwest.
I'm single and don't really want to go on driving trips on my own, for safety reasons , as well as cost of motels on my own. The Elderhostels sound like they might be the way to go.
I'd appreciate any information.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:41 PM
judith

I went on an Elderhostel a couple of years ago in Farmington, NM in the fall. We studiedTony Hillerman novels and the Navajo Way. It was very informative and I learned a lot about the original Americans. I would recommend that particular program. The motel was very good and we met in the new, modern San Juan Community College. I did not have a roommate so was assigned one which worked out well.

The next year, I decided I could go on my own and every fall have driven from Michigan to Ariz., NM, Utah for about 2-3 weeks. No problems and lots of fun. I then get to plan my own trip. Don't shortchange your capabilities. There is no danger and you are as free as a bird. I just turned 70 this year and had a wonderful time this fall,adding western Colorado and a new terrier dog. You will love the southwest, however you travel!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Larry

Hey, Elderhostel 'courses' are the best kept 'secret' around. It's like a learning vacation. My wife & I have been to 4 and enjoyed every one. There is something of interest for almost everyone. Don't hesitate because you have to go alone. It's a great place to meet folks with like interests and make very good friends. We plan to do a lot more of them.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Donna

My dad took a dozen or more elderhostel "courses", some overseas. He went to lots of interesting places, met terrific people (a few "real characters"), and found he was fascinated by subjects (classical music, poetry...) he's never have guessed. The food and lodging were better at some than others, but never was anything objectionable. He liked some more than others, but was glad he attended each and every one.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Vern

I'm a single traveller as well, and absolutely agree with previous posters. Elderhostely groups are self-selecting, that is people on a given tour tend to have similar interests. As a result, you have many things in common just to start with.

Some are better run than others, but in my experience you can't beat the price-value relationship anywhere else. My only negative comment relates to the food. I've gone on two programs on two college campuses in the Northwest. The accomodations were simple but comfortable, the programs excellent, and the other participants extremely friendly and interesting. The food however, was low-end high school cafeteria style. I'd also point out that Canadians in both groups found the US even more expensive than they had expected.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Doolin

Thank you all so much for the positive feedback. It sounds like the way to go.
Judith, you are a true inspiration, and hopefully after a couple of tours, I'll be prepared to go it alone! Do you stay in motels or camp?
Vern, with our darn Canadian dollar the way it is, just the cost of the tour alone is much more expensive for us when we have to convert our dollars. It costs us 1.6 tomes as much. So I have to make sure I'm going to enjoy whichever tour I take.
Thanks again, everyone.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 01:28 AM
gail

My mother has taken several Elderhostel tours over the years. Gradually, the level of accomodations and meals, and consequently the cost, for many trips has risen. On her first trips, accomodations were sometimes in college dorms, meals in cafeterias. More recently trips use real hotels and restaurants, although not the most expensive, in each location. Partly this is her choice when she selects which tours to take, but partly an evolution of Elderhostel.

Because of the educational component, she has found fellow travellers to be interested and interesting.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:06 AM
x

The cost of EH went up considerably after 9-11, it appears. Apparently they took a big loss from cancellations following that tragedy and are trying to re-coup. Our feelings on EH run kind of hot-cold. ONe of my gripes is the pace of the activities...too constant for my taste. But on the other hand, we've had enjoyable, entertaining learning experiences. And its def a place where a single traveler can feel comfortable.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Lenore

My parents, who are in their mid 60's, have gone on quite a few Elderhostels. They've enjoyed most of them, but not all. They did a 17 day African Safari, a 33 day trip to New Zealand and Australia, a 16 day trip to the Galapagos Islands, and several smaller trips around the US, such as Baltimore and Philadelphia, and Georgia Suwannee River areas. They love them because the are educational, most activites and meals are planned, and they are with people who are in their age range and are also interested in learning about the environment they have traveled to see. Enjoy!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Grandma

We hated. We felt so old and we had to wear a name tag on a chain aroudn our necks. Terrible
It was worse than going on a cruise

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Dave

My wife and I have gone with Elderhostel to Spain and Portugal, east Africa, and a few in the US. We plan to go with them to Mexico next year. They are tops in educational programs and value.

But they are not for everyone.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Margo

I returned from my first Elderhostel trip to southwest France--Bordeaux and Dordogne area. I was very impressed with how much this trip covered. We were one week in each place and had excellent lectures and places of interest. I think the trips seem more expensive because ALL meals are included in the price. No other tour that I have taken (and I have taken 20 to 30 different ones with maybe 10 different companies) over the years has done that. The meals were in a local restaurant or cute auberge and were of great quality for a tour group--but what is not to like in France? There were 6 couples and the rest singles (some of which were friends that have traveled together for years) or mother-daughter pairs, 6 were single guys. The ages were from 40 (daughter) to one couple that was 80+, most were in 60 or early 70.
I am leaving next week with a friend to take another trip to West Texas and then the Copper Canyon Train trip, also with Elderhostel. Am looking for another great trip.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 04:39 PM
doolin

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate the feedback.
Although many of the Elderhostel tours appeal to me, I'm not so much interested in the ones laden with many hours of lectures. I'm more interested in the outdoors and history. Does anyone know of any other budget priced tours?

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Dave

Hi Margo-

We are scheduled for the CC Train trip (7 nights) next May -would appreciate your evaluation after you get back.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Kay

Have been to 14 Elderhostels both in U.S. and England.
NEVER been disappointed with accomodations . Food was so-so on some occassions but not "bad" One time we were next to a "cooking school" -wonderful food..
I love the educational stuff..One in Biloxi was on Faulkner conducted by an English professor from New Orleans..
I think the program is great for the single traveler . If you don't want to socialize with the others , it is still a comfortable situation. I love to travel and now that I am 70 I feel more comfortable with a group. If I have to wear a name tag, so be it--It is better than staying home!!
I tried a Taulk tour-- very expensive with 4 star lodging and great food--however I found it too "planned'", very little time for independent stuff. For me, I'd rather go to 3 Elderhostels for what it cost me for that tour. In fact I often do Elderhostels "back to back" As one in
DC and then Civil War one in Virginia.
Try it you will like it!!!

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 02:07 PM
judith

doolin, here is how i planned my trips. after reading up and deciding on the dates and places i want to see, i look at the map and plot how long i want to drive every day. i then look up motels on petswelcome or autodrive or the chains.

i then call the toll-free # or motel directly and get senior citizen rates. i stay at the lowest priced one. some turn out ok, some not so good. roughly 45-50/night i try for. this is my pitch - "what is the rock-bottom price for one senior citizen."

capitol reef motel in torrey, utah, was so nice and only $40 i think. stayed 3 nights. the kokopelli motel in moab, utah, was small, but under $50, 3 nights. stayed in the quality inn in santa fe, $50 i think, 4 nights.. these are not fancy motels, but clean, quiet, and do very well for the frugal traveler. i am not a restaurant person, too pooped at night. got groceries or deli and ate finger food, fruit, pizza in motel.

it might not appeal to everyone, but is affordable and you see a lot of wonderful scenery and meet interesting people, especially with mr. jasper.

i hope you can get to visit the southwest. it is awsome and the living is pretty simple. good bargains in the fall.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 11:41 AM
Faina

I'm reading all this and envy you people! For a while now I've been reading about the learning programs - they all start from 55, no exceptions!!! I have to grow up!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:40 PM
janet

My parents, in their 80's, go to an Elderhotel every year on the east coast. They love the courses, the instructors and always meet nice people. Many singles. They always get a private room and bathroom. Not too fond of the food, so they go out to eat a lot.

Go and have a good time.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:50 PM
Jillian

I work in a hotel that has frequent groups from this Elderhostel stay at. Everyone on the staff refers to them as
"hostile elders" because it seems so many of them are so angry and whinning about the tiniest things. Nothing makes 'em happy....they were born grumpy it seems. By far the most surley and unpleasant groups we have come through here.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:57 PM
xx

Faina, don't rush it, you will be there soon enough. I retired at 65 four years ago, and don't know where the time has gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -