Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone Going to DC for the Marine Corps Marathon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious. It's October 30. There are 30,000 runners signed up, so I figured perhaps some of you out there are crazy enough to have entered this event--along with me.

I'll be a first time marathoner.

Also, I have to crow a little. I just got direct, non-stop flights on Spirit for my better half and me (Myrtle Beach to Reagan National & back) for $39 each way. Even with the taxes & fees, it's less than $200 for the two of us. Heck, I can barely drive there for $200. Woo hoo! (Hope Spirit is still in busines next month.)
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 01:00 PM
GoTravel

Chuck, good friends ran it last year and were blown away by the crowd support. Said that it is a thrill to run by/through the monuments.

Have you checked out MarathonGuide.com and their forums?

Good luck, I'm a first time marathoner also running in the New York City Marathon November 6th.

I'm sidelined with a knee problem this week but back at it in the morning!

Oh and Spirit is a pretty healthy airline. Getting readin to celebrate 20 years of success!

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 01:02 PM
GoTravel

Oh and, PS. I can't stop eating.

Anyone who is running to lose weight that is already at a normal weight will not lose.

If anything, I've gained weight.

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Go Travel,

good luck at NYC2005!

I sympathize with the running injury scene; lower calf injury and plantar faciitis threw me about a month behind in my training. But I'll be marginally ready (if nothing else on this old body breaks down in the next two months).

I like marathonguide.com. I stumbled onto www.tapermadness.org, and I like that forum a lot!

Any other crazies out there?

Buehler . . . Buehler . . . Anyone?
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 07:17 AM

Good luck Chuck with the USMC Marathon! I ran it in 1999...it was my first and only marathon (just ran it to help raise money for AIDS services when I was living in LA). It was unbelievable! As GoTravel said, the crowd support was fabulous! For the most part it was a pretty flat run...there were a few inclines in Georgetown and there's definitely the big one at the end (not that big just seemed like it by the time I got there). The Marines were terrific! Definitely check out the Expo...lots of good loot!!

GoTravel: take care of that knee. I had a problem with mine 3 weeks before the run and it went out at mile 8 during the run so needless to say the last 18.2 miles were pretty painful, long and tough...still paying for continuing 6 years later.

Good luck to both of you on your 1st marathons!
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 07:47 AM
GoTravel

I'm finishing if I have to crawl! Did my first long run Saturday, 16 miles and figured if I can finish that, I'll finish the 26.

I'll check out that website Chuck!

I've heard the NYC Marathon has something like 2 Million crowd support! Holy plantar faciitis Batman!

Thanks for the good wishes!

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

travelgirl 67,

thanks for the encouragement! (Sorry about your knee.) You'll get a kick out of this, as to the hill at the end of the race. I read this comment on a running forum: Only the Marines would design a marathon where the last 385 yards are uphill and you end up in a cemetary!

GoTravel,

I do my first 16 miler this weekend, so you can see I got a little behind for a 10/30 marathon. BTW, do you run as fast as you drive ;-)
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Best of luck to you beach dweller - I ran the Army 10 Miler in DC 3 years ago and was so moved by the crowds, the monuments, the overall excitement. I would imagine that the marathon course will be flat and fast. Just don't run too fast that you can't savor the scenery!
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 09:03 AM
GoTravel

No, I'm a slooooowwwwwww runner. I'm aiming to run a sub six hour first marathon. I'd like to run it in five hours but I just want to have fun and take it all in.

I found out I had gotten in NYC (lottery if you don't qualify) in Mexico and about lost my mind. Then I realized I had to train. Oops!

Bob Grissom Parkway is a great place to run. It is almost 10 miles from point to point and the Broadway at the Beach loop is 2 miles for additional mileage.

I ran that path one weekend when we stayed in Pawleys.

Where are you running for future reference?

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Oops - I just read that the last .25 miles is uphill! Crazy marines...
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 09:42 AM
GoTravel

Sorry, Bob Grissom Parkway is about 10 miles from the airport road (Harrelson Blvd???) up right past 48th Avenue down the service road and back to Harrelson. The loop from the mall to Bob Grissom, to Harrelson, back to Bob Grissom is 1.1 miles.

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

GoTravel,

sorry for not following up sooner. But I wanted to wait until I had a good route for you.

I did a 16 miler this morning (out 8 miles from my house in Arcadian Shores section, south to about 34th Avenue North along Ocean Blvd, then back). That's a fantastic route! It duplicates part of the MB Marathon held in February. Lots of bike paths and several forays into low-traffic neighborhoods like Dunes Cove and The Dunes.

Thanks for the tip about Grissom--I drive that a lot. And those nice wide sidewalks are tempting. But I no longer run on sidewalks, after I found out they are the hardest surface out there (harder than pavement)

I hope NYC goes well, and as you are TRAVELING to NY, would you let us know how that marathon, er, trip is?
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 09:05 AM

GoTravel,

My wife ran NY 2 years ago and she wrote up some comments for a friend that will be running NY this year. She is around a 5 hr runner and has done Marine corps, chicago, flying pig and NY.

I'm posting her comments about NY which might be of interest to you.....

"This is one of the outstanding marathons around here. The crowds are wonderful and the mix of runners is amazing.

You start in Staten Island. The marathon has 5-6 bridges..the biggest and longest is the Verrazano Bridge-the first bridge.
START OUT SLOWLY or the hills and bridges will get you!!! Wear shorts and a tank top
even if it is cold out. After 10 miles your body will think it is the middle of the summer.

The whole city comes out and cheers the runners on. The only time New Yorkers are really friendly. The NYC marathon website will
have the course, elevation, etc. and suggestions for spectators (location, timing) Baggage check for the extra clothes you have on
in the morning or clothes you will want after the race is VERY well organized and easy to find after crossing the finish line.

.Your friends/family can not come to the starting area. You will get on the buses very early in NYC and the bus ride
takes you right to the starting area. Make sure you practice eating something with you first get up and again before
you run because the race has a late starting time. They will provide plenty of bagels and coffee at the starting area.
You will be starting with runners at your pace. Men and women start separately and stay that way for the first few miles,
so don't plan on running with someone of the opposite sex.

After the bridge you enter Brooklyn and the beginning of strong crowd support. You will be in Brooklyn for apporx 12-13 miles. Mostly flat with
only a few little hills. Very friendly and you will run through a number of different neighborhoods. Music will be playing and will be different in the various
ethnic areas. Fire trucks will be there with little kids on them cheering for you. People will have candy and orange pieces ready to hand you and wish you well.

Next is Queens for a few miles and then over the 59th street bridge into Manhattan(mile 16). An unforgettable experience. Half way over
the bridge you hear the screams of the people waiting for you to come down the circular ramp.

You leave Manhattan for a mile or two (around 20 mile mark)and run into the Bronx (No spectators here) before returning over another bridge into Manhattan.
Then in Harlem, the church choirs will be out singing.. Central Park has a few long hills, but the crowds will be there to help you and if
you have any running friends they could run a few miles with you then. At mile 25.5/26 you run out of the park for one city block and it
is a great place for friends to see you right near the end. After the finish line it is very hard to get together with family/friends. Make a meeting
place and plan on it taking you 30 minutes from the finish line to get through everything..baggage pickup, chip return..something to eat/drink..

Enjoy!! "
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Dick,

thanks for posting your wife's great narrative about the NYC marathon.

Did she--or will she--do one about the MCM?