Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar with Makaha Valley, Oahu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Marcie

I have a chance to rent a condo for a week in Makaha Valley (northwest area of Oahu). Is this a nice area, Good restaurants etc.? Would love the pros and cons.
Marcie

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Kasey

Certainly worth a day trip but I am sorry to say you are on the poorer side of the island. I would not base myself there. Makuhia beach not makah is my favorite and there are many wonderful hikes but I would travel over from the North Shore if I were you.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 01:10 PM
lcuy

This is not a poorer area, but it THE poor side of the island. I love the beaches and many wonderful people live here, but some really rotten ones have made it pretty much a "must not go" for most of us. As a tourist, you are almost guaranteed a car break in at the beach, and worse things happen often enough to make them routine. It is a loooong drive into town on a highway known for spectacular accidents. There are some local fast food places in Makaha, but closest nice restaraunt is at Ihilani resort. If you're looking for a place way, way, from town you'd probably be happier and safer on the North shore at Turtle Bay hotel or renting a beach house on the north or east shores.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Celeste

Unfortunately the previous posters are correct, Makaha is the poorest and most crime-ridden section of the island and you should avoid it. They do not like non-locals to be there and make it very clear.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 02:53 AM
Maui Mike

Ditto the above posters. Makaha is poor, crime-ridden and far out of the way.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 07:17 AM
Cheryl Z.

Marcie, sometimes when staying in Waikiki, we'll drive out that way just to see if things have changed over the years, and regretfully, no. Have to ditto what the others say. Even if it was a safer, cleaner area, you're just too far away from everything. Even if you just want to be far away from the hustle-bustle of Waikiki/Honolulu, it's not the kind of "remote" area that I'd think one would be looking for. The Ihilani would be about the furthest out worth staying at. Or try the other side - Turtle Bay as mentioned above.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 07:49 AM
Celeste

I lived on Oahu for three years and Makaha, beautiful as it is, was Crime Central. Drive through it if you want, but don't stay there!

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Richard Sullivan

Only a newer luxury beachfront condo in Makaha is acceptable. If you're thinking about the Makaha Towers in the valley, forget it. It would be my LAST choice of areas on Oahu to stay.
—Driiving & Discovering Hawaii Books

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 10:14 PM
Jeff

What about the Makaha Shores?

Found a studio there that looks very appealing and is very inexpensive:

http://www.geekvenue.net/makaha/

or these at Makaha Surfside:
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/makaha/

??

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 10:30 PM
tani

Jeff, Jeff! Read the above posts! Of course they are cheap, it is a bad place to go!