Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar with Hotel del Sol in San Francisco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Jim

Is it in a convenient neighborhood and did you enjoy your stay there? Pros/cons?

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Susan

Hey, my in-laws just stayed there! It is a cute, funky place. A great location in the Marina where you can walk to shops and restaurants on Union Street, Lombard and Chestnut. The standard room they got was not remarkable in any way but clean and comfortable. Very colorful. The suites are much roomier and might be worth a few extra bucks if you are staying a while and want to spread out. They have an outdoor pool which is heated and a lovely courtyard area. The service is very friendly and helpful. Very clean, free parking (a huge bonus in the city), not in the tourist hub of SF. No restaurant at the hotel but it is a few blocks from many restaurant choices.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Jim

Thanks

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Grace in SF

Hotel Del Sol is just a few blocks from me! GREAT neighborhood, family-friendly, and lots of nice restaurants, bars, shops within walking distance. Hotel Del Sol was a 1950's style motel (Plantation Inn) until it was remodeled a couple of years back with a funky Caribbean (read: very bright) color scheme. I think you'll enjoy it -- sedate it ain't!

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Susan

We stayed there in September, really enjoyed the neighborhood the most, felt like we were citizens of the city! I agree w/ Susan, that it would be worth it to spend a bit more on a bigger room though, we had a Queen Cabana room, least expensive & it was small, so if you are staying there more than a couple days, it would start to feel cramped.
Everything is spotless though & well managed & very friendly staff. Aveda products are provided for your bath amenities, so that's cool!
The decor is very fun, outside & in the rooms. The only "con" would be the breakfast they provided, small muffins were the only pastry choice, but there are many restaurants in walking distance for good breakfast.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:02 AM
Bryce

I loved this place. Unfortunately, Charlie the wonderful manager is now gone but the hotel is still fab!

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:31 AM
Susan

Grace, you live in the Marina? You lucky dog! My in-laws stay in the city frequently while visiting family and they will always stay in the Marina from now on. They had a great time eating at Prego, Betelnut, Yoshida-Ya and the Coffee Roastery. They walked to a movie house one night and shopped for wine at Plumpjack.

Have you been to the restaurant Michael Bauer reviewed on Sunday, Merenda?

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Grace in SF

Meranda, yes, I'm a lucky gal to live in the Marina! I'm a native, in fact. How lucky can one get? I have not dined at the restaurant that Michael Bauer just reviewed though I did read his write-up.