Reload this Page >

Anyone ever been a lifeguard?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 03:13 PM
GlubGlub

When I go to the beach, I often watch the lifeguards. I have seen rescues a few times, but not often. I have lots of questions. For instance, how often do lifeguards save people? Are the victims usually men or women, adults or kids, old or young? How often to lifeguards miss people in trouble? What was the job like? Is guarding a beach better than a pool or water park?

Just wondering, that's all.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 03:35 PM
Lori

My husband was a lifeguard way back when. Actually he was part of the recreation staff at a private resort complex, but lifeguarding was a part of the job. In his case, he never had to rescue anyone.

When he was assigned to the pool his job mainly consisted of issuing a stern "No running!" when called for. When he was at the lake he sat in a high tower and was lucky enough never to have to attempt a rescue. One of his friends did indeed need to reach someone who had fallen out of a boat at the beach. Foolishly, his 2 friends also jumped in after him, complicating the rescue. None of them were swimmers. They were all males. That was one rescue that didn't have a happy ending.

I'd say that beach rescues are much more difficult than pool accidents; you can jump in a pool and reach the victim in a hurry, as the water is crystal clear and you can look down at the victim.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 05:17 PM
debbie

I was a lifeguard for 5 years during summers in the 80's at a busy Waterpark. It was a great job which is why kept going back. We trained our rescue skills constantly and were required to swim miles every week to stay fit. It was a demanding job and I did spend a lot of time correcting people repeatedly for safety rules infractions. I ended up rescuing 9 people over the years, mostly adults. Rescues at our park were commonplace daily occurances. We never "missed" any rescues but I know we had many, many lifeguards to cover a relatively small area(liability concerns weigh heavily. We had a competitive attitude about rescues and the lifeguard who got to do a rescue was considered lucky. I'm sure a beach is much harder to work.

The funny thing that I remember was the way people reacted to being rescued. They never thought to say thanks!

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 06:31 PM
CMcDaniel

I was a lifeguard (and swimming instructor) each summer during college--summer camp and country club pools. Loved the job...especially rewarding to bring a beginner from being afraid to put his face in the water to being able to swim the length of the pool.

Only had two rescues, both very young children, at the pool. You reminded me Debbie...very odd...but,neither parent in my cases said a word either. Weird.

To this day I can't sit around a pool without watching, or being alert to, non-swimmers--same at the beach. I'm appalled at the number of parents that lie down to work on their tans (am in FL now) and only occasionally glance up to see where their kids are. It's more astounding to see small non swimmers in the surf as their parents sit well back up the beach doing whatever! Can't imagine where their minds are....

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 07:05 PM
xxx

Lifeguards, just what do you watch for to see if someone is in trouble? It all looks like a sea of waving arms and legs to me. (By the way, people probably don't say thanks because they are so embarrassed. I would be mortified if someone had to pull me out of the drink, and I'd probably just slink away.)

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 07:49 PM
Emily

As to the lack of thanks from those who have been rescued -- it could be worse. When I was 21, my 14 year old sister (a very strong rough water swimmer) pulled me out of a rip current and onto the beach. As I lay on the sand and gasped for air, she danced around me in glee, singing "I saved Emily, I saved Emily!"

I'm sorry to say that I replied -- "Oh, SHUT UP!"

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 09:27 AM
Amy

I was a lifeguard for 6 years. 4 years at a country club pool and 2 years at the Jersey shore. In my 4 yrs at the pool I had 3 rescues - 2 young childeren and an adult trying to show off who hit their head on the board. In my 2 years at the shore I had 47 saves - everything from drunk adults, adults who went past their limits, kids who got dragged down, or people who got a cramp. Luckily, at our beach in the 2 years, all saves were successful. However, I work in finance at a top firm in Chicago now and that job at the shore was more stressful than anything going on in the market today.

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 07:59 AM
Leigh

I worked as a motel pool lifeguard for three summers. Guarding a pool or small lake beach is MUCH easier than guarding on the ocean or Great Lakes. Those guards have to make saves all of the time, and in difficult conditions. Good pool (and small beach) guards should never have to make saves (except for the occasional 2-year-old who decides to jump into the deep end). A good (pool) lifeguard prevents problems. I only have to make one save because I kept control of my pool.