Anybody cruise Hawaii?

Search

Anybody cruise Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody cruise Hawaii?

We are thinking about cruising HI. That way you can see all the islands. Has anyone done this? Is it fun for teenagers, or would they like the hotel/resort approach better?

We for sure want to see Oahu(Pear Harbor) and Maui.

Heavens
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:42 AM

Hi Heavens, if you don't get a response from this room, you may try posting your question in the "cruise" room. Other than that I would be of no help to you, I have been to Hawaii, but no cruised Hawaii. Also I will say, I think it depends on the teenager... our's prefers the hotel vs. a cruise, just her opinion. Good Luck!
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Also try cruisecritic.com message board, it's gets as much action as fodors on the US forum, possibly more because they are all travel addicts like we are
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 09:27 AM

We cruised the Islands about 6 years ago, on the now-defunct (I believe) American Hawaii Cruise Line. It was just my husband and I (32 and 41 at the time) and we loved it, but it definitely wouldn't have been fun for teens, at least on that ship. People our age or younger were definitely the minority.

It was bliss being able to see the islands without unpacking and hopping on planes. We were in Oahu, Maui, Kaiui and the Big Island. We did a couple of the shore excursions, but mostly rented cars for the day and explored on our own. I know we wouldn't have seen or done as much if we weren't on the cruise.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 10:09 AM

I too cruised the Hawaiian Islands on the American Cruise Line. At the time my mother and 8 month old daughter went. I couldn't have asked for a better cruise. It was laid back and exactly what me and my mother were looking for. With that being said..THAT particular cruise line was not meant for teenagers or those wanting an active cruise. I swear, the majority of the travelers were 70plus and the ship literally shut down at 10PM. There were honeymooners on our cruise, but I over heard them talking how bored they were. I know NCL cruises the Islands now. I don't know how well they are doing. Perhaps the posts above would help you.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Hi, I don't know what cruises you are considering but my inlaws went on the 10 day NCL cruise in January. They said the 3 day portion to Fanning Island was a huge waste of time. The weather was too bad to stop in Maui so they cruised around it. They were able to get off to see Kauai and the BI. They started in Oahu so they did get to see Pearl Harbor. They said the majority of passengers are very old. Some need assistance on and off the boat.

The cruise was the "relaxed" version which meant less formal. It also meant lots of lining up for meals as you didn't have a set meal time or table. Also lining up to get off and on the ship. I remarked that it sounded like they spent a good deal of time in line and they agreed that they did.

There is no guarantee that the weather will allow a transfer to shore. On Kauai the ship comes right up to a dock so you'll be able to get off in Kauai at least.

Unless it's a different cruise your teenagers may prefer to stay on one island and surf or boogie board at will.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 03:30 PM

We did Hawaii on the end of a south Pacific Cruise on Princess...it went to Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Christmas Island, then Kauai, Maui, the Big Island and Oahu. We by far enjoyed the Hawaii section of the cruise over the South Pacific. For everyone who thinks Tahiti is an unspoiled paradise, I can give you a reason it isn't. With that said, I can't imagine what kid wouldn't like a cruise, let alone a cruise to Hawaii where they can get off on various islands--that would have been my dream come true as a kid!! Talk about something that is not boring, sailing everyday to a different tropical island, sightseeing, then returning to the ship should be a great time for them!