Any Spa Recommendations??

Sep 13th, 1997, 06:48 AM
J. Barnes

Any Spa Recommendations??

Turning the big five-o next month and have decided to treat myself to a great spa experience..looking for a fitness program in a luxury setting (warm climate), lots of emphasis on pampering. any suggestions?

Sep 13th, 1997, 11:29 AM
Erika

Just read an article about spas in the US, and the one I remember was the Canyon Ranch in Tucson. It is one of the top 3 in the US. I remember that only because I live not far from Tucson and thought about it for myself! Sorry that I can't remember the others - I think they were in California.

Sep 13th, 1997, 12:55 PM
L. Montgomery

I know the most wonderful one. It is on Oahu in Hawaii on the West side of the Island away from Waikii etc., but only 20 min.from the Airport in the oposite direction.

The Ihilani Resort and Spa is simply glorious, everything about it, the rooms, the beach, the wonderful Spa, the dining, the service......all ultra-deluxe.

They have some rather reasonable Spa packages.

You can their rates, etc. at www.ihilani.com

Sep 18th, 1997, 01:25 PM
G Duncan

My wife and I went to the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, CO. It was our first spa experience and we really enjoyed it. Great packages and lots of areas to hike.

Sep 20th, 1997, 05:03 PM
sharon

I'm a self-indulgent baby boomer who has enjoyed many spas. What you must establish first is whether you want real pampering or do you want a more regimented health-oriented spa. There is a group called Spa Finders that will guide you to selections. One of the nicer experiences I had was at the Safety Harbor spa in Florida on Tampa Bay. I loved the morning swim, padding to the dining room in my bathrobe, the delicious spa cuisine that allowed you wine with dinner and lack of nazi-like regimentation that sometimes comes with shelling out $400 & up that these places charge. The DonCesar in St. Petersburg Beach is on the Beach and is gorgeous, not many spas with the gulf. Have been to Camelback in Arizona but 11 years ago (40th!) and to Marriott's Desert Springs Spa in Palm Springs which was beautiful but diet program was grotesque. I'd see if Spa Finders is on the net and check Conde Nast who does issue every year on Spas in their Traveller mag.

Sep 21st, 1997, 07:12 PM
Debbie Eberlin

I've been to many and Canyon Ranch in Tucson (or the Berkshires - but that won't be warm) is the best of all worlds...pampering, fitness-oriented (mind and body!) and gourmet, healthy food. I've been there 5 times and will go back over and over again.

Sep 25th, 1997, 10:05 AM
Penny

Just returned from a trip to Atlanta and stayed at the Chateau Elan Winery & Resort - (770-932-0900). They have a wonderful spa - and all of their rooms have different themes - victorian, country, etc. The service is wonderful, from the time they pick you up at the airport until you leave. This is also a winery, so there are wine tasting tours, golf course, tennis courts, and of course lots of trails to go walking. Great place!!

Sep 25th, 1997, 04:02 PM
Erika

There is a website %3D www.pathfinder.com/travel/
which has a page on spas. It mentions the Canyon Ranch in Tucson, the Golden Door in Calif, and lots of one/few day(s) other suggestions. Have lots of fun!

Sep 28th, 1997, 11:13 AM
M. Heist

I would highly recommend the Four Seasons resort in Las Colinas, Texas. If money is not an issue, stay in one of the Villa rooms on the lower level, request a view of the 18th hole of the golf course. Great fitness center, spa, food, environment, climate,pool,golf course,ambiance, & people. Phone number is 972.717.0700. I have stayed there many times and never been dissapointed. Be sure to ask if they have any special spa packages or special villa rates for the time you are visiting.

Sep 28th, 1997, 02:02 PM
Lynn

I think Fodor's must be having problems with this site because I posted a reply to this topic last week and I noticed today it's not here. Well here goes, again. Nestled in the Laurel Highlands about 60 miles south of Pittsburgh is a luxurious
resort called Nemacolin Woodlands. This resort
has played host to many famous people--most recent was Tiger Woods, Terry Bradshaw and Vince Gill during a pro-am tournament held this past spring. The resort is a five-star property and has been featured on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and Robin Leach has been a guest here also. The atmosphere here is definitely first class with much attention paid to detail. Their spa is rated as "World Class" and offers over 60 personal services. There are lots of other activities to partake in, besides the indulgent at the spa, including fitness activities (yes, exercise) but also golf, exquisite dining, an equestrian center, etc. While the weather in October will not be warm (as in 80's), the temperature will be moderate (60's) and the area will just be entering peak for fall foliage which would make it an absolutely splendid time to visit. If you can't make it for your 50th, consider it for any romantic or special getaway. 800-422-2736. I live about 20
minutes from the resort and can tell you it is the nicest property in this area with exception to the
Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, WV.

Sep 29th, 1997, 10:47 AM
Anne Beer

There is a website www.resort2fitness.com where you can check out spas. I loved Rancho La Puerta in Mexico, just over the border from San Diego. All of the pampering is available, but the emphasis is on fitness and healthy eating (all vegetarian).

Search this Thread