Reload this Page >

Any San Francisco Smokers out there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 01:56 AM
Sabrina

My husband and I are spending a few days in San Francisco as part of our US honeymoon. Living in London, we've all heard the various amusing and true stories of the stringent CA laws against smokers and smoking. We are smokers, but don't wish to unknowingly offend or break the law whilst visiting your city. We would, however, like to have the chance to sit down in peace and relax with a coffee or a beer and cigarette somewhere. Please could other resident San Francisco smokers advise us on the dos and don'ts, and more importantly, is there ANYWHERE in the Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf area where a smoker is welcome? I don't mean restaurants, but bars/cafes, etc?

We are cutting it a bit fine as we leave April 18th, but many thanks in advance to genuine responses (spam will be ignored)- Sabrina

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 07:15 AM
Samantha

Hi Sabrina - I lived in CA for several years and when I left last year, there was no smoking allowed in any restaurant, OR bar/cafe. At one time, it was allowed in bars, but in 1998, I think it was, that was even banned. In addition to that, some businesses even have a rule of people not being allowed to smoke, say, within 20 feet of the entranceway. While I don't smoke, my husband does, so I can understand your concerns. Maybe someone living in SF can be a bit more specific, but I just thought I would let you know the general info about it. Even with CA's strigent laws, you'll really enjoy SF. It's an amazing city. Have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon and enjoy the States.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 07:22 AM
jen

I don't live in San Francisco, but was just there a few weeks ago, and I smoke- you can smoke pretty much anywhere outside- so if it's a nice day, sit in the outdoor section of a bar/cafe/coffeehouse, etc. and you will be fine (but ask 1st, one restaurant we were in didn't allow smoking even on their patio). The other thing I've found having been to California several times since the no-smoking law has been in effect, is that you can always find bars that will allow you to smoke inside- usually the more "neighborhood", little corner pubs- you just have to keep on the lookout.
Have a great time!

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 07:48 AM
Kim

As a native and a smoker, I agree with the above posting. The smaller, neighborhood bars sometimes allow you to smoke "in the back." I hesitate to post their names here lest someone from the City reads this and puts an end to it! However, there is one restaurant in town where smoking is 100% legal as many of the table are outdoors. Besides being able to enjoy a cigarette after a fabulous meal, it's one of the hottest, most interesting restaurants in town. Foreign Cinema on Mission/21st Street is a wonderful "splurge" for dinner if you're so inclined. Excellent food and atmosphere. Many of the tables are outdoors under a cement wall on which a foreign film is shown. Get a reservation early and insist on a table outside. You'll have a great time. Hope this helps.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 08:08 AM
Kim

Sabrina, please email me directly and I'll give you some names. I tried your listed address, but it bounced back as undeliverable.