Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for moderately priced downtown Seattle hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Elaine

With the brutal +50% exchange on the Canadian dollar, I am looking for a nice well located hotel in the $175.00 (or less) range. I have some names of hotels but have no information about them other than rates, and am hoping someone can help. My list includes the Ramada Royal, Ramada Inn Downtown, Claremont, Roosevelt, and Best Western Pioneer Square.

Does anyone have any comments about any of these hotels, or have a recommendation for anythig else? Thanks vey much for any help.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 03:29 PM
syl

The Roosevelt is recently renovated and is near the retail core. The Best West. Pioneer Square is in an area of interesting old buildings just south of downtown. (Some people who are not used to cities might want to stay in an area with less texture. I think it's one of the most interesting areas of Seattle.) You might check out the West Coast Vance, also an older hotel near the retail core; the Inn at Virginia Mason, a converted apt. bldg. a short pleasant (but uphill) walk to the east of downtown in a residential/hospital neighborhood; the Inn at Queen Anne, also a converted apt. bldg. and in a neighborhood with many cafes, restaurants, etc. All of these should have, from time to time, rooms under the price you mention and are hotels with some substance. (The Ramadas you mention are relatively new featureless buildings.)

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Owen O'Neill

I did a bit of advance research on this topic recently and settled ont he Inn at Queen Anne based on location and apparent price/quality ratio. With an auto club discount (10% off for AAA) I'm getting a room with one queen bed for $90 per night on Labor day weekend. It's an extra $10 for AC but it seems unlikely to ne necessary at that time of year.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Rebecca

Hello. I would suggest the Travellodge across from the Space Needle. Its less than $80 per night, has a pool, free parking, next door to McDonalds, and across the street from the Space Needle. Best deal I think! Best Western at Pioneer Square would be good too. That's a nice area-lots of old buildings and it is where Mardi Gras and the WTO happened. It has an underground tour of the city as well. If you are familiar with Gastown in Vancouver, its a little like that area (since you are from Canada..just thought I'd throw that out)!!

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Elaine

Thanks, posters.

I had been trying to decide between the Paramount and the Pacific Plaza, but now the Best Western Pioneer Square looks like a good choice. I think I like its location a bit better than the Travelodge near the Space Needle. Also it seems to appear in most of the recommendations with my criteria of a moderate price and a good central location. How close is the Best Westwern Pioneer Square to Pike Place market?

Has anyone stayed at the Paramount Hotel? I can get a nicely discounted rate there to make it about even with the lowest price room at the Best Western Pioneer Square.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 12:17 PM
btilke

Try Sherri at Pacific NW Journeys (www.pnwjourneys.com or www.nwjourneys.com, I forget which). She specialized in NW travel and has discount arrangements with most of the downtown Seattle hotels. She might be able to get you a good rate at a hotel better than the ones you're considering.
Btilke

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Elaine

Thanks, Anthony. I have actually done that and am going to book the Paramount through her.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Kevin

My wife and I stayed at the Roosevelt last year and it was great. Good location, great room.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 07:13 AM
arjay

Tho it doesn't seem to fit the specs for the original poster, I thought I'd add this for others looking for Seattle hotel info - When we were out that way a few years ago, we stopped in for a look at the Inn @Queen Anne. We liked it a lot and decided it was where we'd stay the next time. It's in an interesting ''neighborhood'' (as opposed to a downtown area) with a a movie theater, shops, restaurants and a supermarket right across the street to make in-room snacks or meals easy. All rooms featured a small kitchenette area, with micro. Rooms were not overly-large, but quite pleasant, as was the public area. And we considered it's surroundings a real plus, tho it's just a walk to the monorail to downtown.